Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
^^Very exciting news on this hiring! Great time to be a Johnnies fan. Thanks for the info. guys, keep it coming!

In regards to Slice, some Kentucky posters are saying that he's like a pig in slop in Lexington. Whether that means he's staying put or not remains to be seen.
375k, maybe bump to 500k...all the casual fans now on board that are St. john's grads better pony up some dough, including alligator arms Francesa.

From ESPN's write up - best nugget:
"The feeling at the campus is they [St. John's administrators] wanted to significantly propel the university forward with this hire," a St. John's insider said Monday. "The challenge remains in that there are a lot of people in the fan base and alumni base who are opinionated about the program, but don't give $5, never mind $5,000 or $50,000.
"Where Chris has the big advantage over just about anyone is, I think he can really galvanize the entire university community. If there's a person that can pull all of those things together, it's him. When he gets there, they're not going to tell him, 'You can't have an extra 50 grand' to hire a specific assistant coach. If he says, 'We need a charter airplane, even to go to Jersey,' there needs to be support for him inside of the university and out."

How about 400k to hire Slice??? (He's currently making 375k as I said above)

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/12589960/st-john-red-storm-got-man-hiring-chris-mullin-basketball-coach
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:48:19 AM by bball purist »

ras

« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  2m 2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Chris Mullin will hire Iowa State's Matt Abdemassih at St. John's as an assistant, source told @CBSSports. Story coming. #SJUBB

Diallo not far behind
Marco , I could never tell from your posts if the info is  from one of your sources or your opinion.

QuanMan

« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2015, 11:48:47 AM »
Slice still very much in the fold.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »

I guess we will know by end of FF unless Cal will let him take St Johns job and finish year with KY?
I don't see Cal the type of guys standing in the way of his coaches

hnk

« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Dave is the recruit commitment you referred to for the end of the week....a player for next year or the year after?

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
I hope so. It appears money will not be the issue as they've ponied up 2 to Chris.  I think Slice takes it if they win the championship. 

If they win, it's a second one for Cal, another notch in UK's belt.

If Slice wants to be part of the NYC legendary stories to be told one day, in his home town, this is the place to be. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:53:59 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
Dave is the recruit commitment you referred to for the end of the week....a player for next year or the year after?

Next year.

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »

I guess we will know by end of FF unless Cal will let him take St Johns job and finish year with KY?
I don't see Cal the type of guys standing in the way of his coaches

Cal would be first one to tell him he should go. He's all about guys maximizing opportunity

hnk

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
Dave, that's great...thanks for the info.

I think if we can get Diallo comfortable with Coach and the bigs coach (ED?) that should push him our way.  We were close before.  I think he'd be glad to stay in New York.  Felix might be important here as well or might not.

« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

Thanks you for keeping us in the loop. Keep them coming Dave! Loving all the information.

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »
Matt A first, Pinkney likely. Slice still being targeted.
Hearing rumbles of grasso

just so happens that Grasso recently followed, Yakwe, Lovett, Paschall and Malik Ellison on Twitter. Recently, I mean within the last 2 days
Saw that, but beyond Pinkney & Matt A, I suspect they will see if they can land Slice. If unsuccessful, I guess others, like Grasso type guys, would get a look.
Is Matt A the recruiter?
In my world we need two. Slice & a young "comer" would be a nice combination. Certainly Slice brings experience & other skills that would be utilized. I think Chiles got worn out doing most of recruiting, so I prefer sharing the load. Just my opinion.

I was thinking along the same lines....  Bring in Slice the "slickster" (the experienced guy) and "the young, up and comer" Matty A.  (who is now aboard), and we'll be fine.   I think Mullin will also be tough in his own right.

I also agree with you, in reference to Chiles.

paultzman

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
Matt A first, Pinkney likely. Slice still being targeted.
Hearing rumbles of grasso

just so happens that Grasso recently followed, Yakwe, Lovett, Paschall and Malik Ellison on Twitter. Recently, I mean within the last 2 days
Saw that, but beyond Pinkney & Matt A, I suspect they will see if they can land Slice. If unsuccessful, I guess others, like Grasso type guys, would get a look.
Is Matt A the recruiter?
In my world we need two. Slice & a young "comer" would be a nice combination. Certainly Slice brings experience & other skills that would be utilized. I think Chiles got worn out doing most of recruiting, so I prefer sharing the load. Just my opinion.

I was thinking along the same lines....  Bring in Slice the "slickster" (the experienced guy) and "the young, up and comer" Matty A.  (who is now aboard), and we'll be fine.   I think Mullin will also be tough in his own right.

I also agree with you, in reference to Chiles.

Thx Dink! Good times ahead!

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
 @jimbaumbach  ·  36m 36 minutes ago
Kentucky assistant Barry Rohrssen's contract, obtained by Newsday, runs thru 6/2016. Pays $375k, but no buyout. Just needs Cal's permission.

@jimbaumbach  ·  33m 33 minutes ago
I shouldn't even term it as Cal's permission. Contract simply states Rohrssen agrees to not pursue job elsewhere without telling Cal first.

sju89tr

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Kentucky assistant Barry Rohrssen's contract, obtained by Newsday, runs thru 6/2016. Pays $375k, but no buyout. Just needs Cal's permission.

I shouldn't even term it as Cal's permission. Contract simply states Rohrssen agrees to not pursue job elsewhere without telling Cal first.

Just can't see Cal standing in the way

He would need a raise over that though as more expensive in NYC tan KY

Poison

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:01 PM »
What is a dazzling urbanite like Slice doing in a rustic setting like that anyway?

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

wasn't dunlap getting $500k?

Tha Kid

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:45 PM »
What is a dazzling urbanite like Slice doing in a rustic setting like that anyway?

Making the Final Four and going undefeated.  He's probably miserable.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »

wasn't dunlap getting $500k?
Dump Keady's 200k + in the pot. :)

Poison

« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »

Making the Final Four and going undefeated.  He's probably miserable.

How much credit will go to the assistant coaches when they win? Will we even hear their names?