Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
@jimbaumbach  ·  36m 36 minutes ago
Kentucky assistant Barry Rohrssen's contract, obtained by Newsday, runs thru 6/2016. Pays $375k, but no buyout. Just needs Cal's permission.

@jimbaumbach  ·  33m 33 minutes ago
I shouldn't even term it as Cal's permission. Contract simply states Rohrssen agrees to not pursue job elsewhere without telling Cal first.

Just can't see Cal standing in the way

He would need a raise over that though as more expensive in NYC tan KY

wasn't dunlap getting $500k?
Dump Keady's 200k + in the pot. :)

really?  damn, $200k is a boatload for someone to be a "mentor" to the coaching staff.

sju89tr

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
Kentucky assistant Barry Rohrssen's contract, obtained by Newsday, runs thru 6/2016. Pays $375k, but no buyout. Just needs Cal's permission.

I shouldn't even term it as Cal's permission. Contract simply states Rohrssen agrees to not pursue job elsewhere without telling Cal first.

Dump Keady's 200k + in the pot. :)

really?  damn, $200k is a boatload for someone to be a "mentor" to the coaching staff.

Heard Keady was making more than that LOL

« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »

The rumor was 400k at the time (on rumble in the Garden)

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
I believe that Chris would be the third SJU coach to try to get Slice to come here. I know that Nrom did and I thought Lavin also. Maybe the third time is the "charm".

SJU79

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
Whoever Called Matt A green is incorrect. He's elite at his craft. As for Slice , too much thinking about winning a title or credit....he will have Cal's permission to go if he wants and  if Barry thinks its the right move for him he will come. . I can also tell you 2 legit recruits might be on board soon(isn).

sju89tr

« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
I believe that Chris would be the third SJU coach to try to get Slice to come here. I know that Nrom did and I thought Lavin also. Maybe the third time is the "charm".

Slice didn't want to step down as head coach at Manhatan and who could blame him

Tha Kid

« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
Whoever Called Matt A green is incorrect. He's elite at his craft. As for Slice , too much thinking about winning a title or credit....he will have Cal's permission to go if he wants and  if Barry thinks its the right move for him he will come. . I can also tell you 2 legit recruits might be on board soon(isn).

It was me, and only because of the # of years on the job and compared to the other recruiters we have been talking about.  Glad to hear that my phrasing was incorrect, and I am certianly not an age-ist so I am psyched Matt A is an experienced recruiter!  Still would love a second one on staff as Paultzman and many others have said, to split duties.
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »

Love that Jim's covering this story for Newsday.   He's an SJU grad, and great guy. 
Bleeds red and white.   Got his start covering sports for the Torch.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:00:27 PM by desco80 »

SJU79

« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
The Kid...sorry didn't mean to be harsh or critical.....Matt A is a great guy, communicates really well with the kids and is an elite recruiter.  He will be a fine a classy  representative of the university

« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
@JPPelzman 3m3 minutes ago

Even with Abdelmassih in the fold, I'm told Slice Rohrssen still in play. #sjubb

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
It really is something special to see all these NYC coaches coming home or potentially comming home.  For years people have been saying that SJU should do more in NYC as players and coaches left themselves. With all these NYC coaches comig back, especially the ones with SJU connections is awesome.

They are getting paid well but believe me the dollars goes a hell of a lot further in other parts of the country then the city. There is a definite commitment to ensure SJU really does become an historic program again. Lavin does get credit from rising this program from the ashes.

Is it Novemeber yet?
Cougar O' Malley

Tha Kid

« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
The Kid...sorry didn't mean to be harsh or critical.....Matt A is a great guy, communicates really well with the kids and is an elite recruiter.  He will be a fine a classy  representative of the university

No apologies needed!  "Green" was a poor choice not knowing his specific background, I guess I should have said it would be nice to have another elite recruiter like Matt to team up with Matt, who sounds like an amazing hire which I am completely psyched about.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »

That and Iowa State is Transfer U. The first couple of years, we're gonna half to Frankenstein this thing together. Love that he's a local guy. That should open doors.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:26:02 PM by Poison »

« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »

Love that Jim's covering this story for Newsday.   He's an SJU grad, and great guy. 

Also an SJU professor, took him for a sports writing class, good class. Got an A.

« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
Curious as to what makes Matt Abdelmassih so good as a recruiter? Like what does he do that separates himself from other recruiters to classify him as great. Does he go to a lot of games, have good relationships with coaches and players? The fact that he's younger?

Genuinely curious on his methods

« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »

Also an SJU professor, took him for a sports writing class, good class. Got an A.

Same.

Great guy

« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2015, 01:49:58 PM »
@JayOn_1
Mullin will definitely keep 1 guy from Lavins staff

Anyone else hearing this?

desco80

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
The trainer.   He's been there 47 years.

SJUFAN

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
It really is something special to see all these NYC coaches coming home or potentially comming home.  For years people have been saying that SJU should do more in NYC as players and coaches left themselves. With all these NYC coaches comig back, especially the ones with SJU connections is awesome.

They are getting paid well but believe me the dollars goes a hell of a lot further in other parts of the country then the city. There is a definite commitment to ensure SJU really does become an historic program again. Lavin does get credit from rising this program from the ashes.

Is it Novemeber yet?

For the first time in a long time, it appears we finally hit the nail on the head. I was not on board with replacing Lavin unless there was a clear upgrade, and we have done that. We are finally putting together a staff that is both passionate and capable. Jarvis and Lavin were capable, but looked at the job as, well, a job. It appeared they were not willing to go above and beyond to ensure the success of the basketball program. Norm appeared to be passionate, but he was not capable of doing anything. Chris along with Matt and company will crystalize the picture that Lavin painted this program would become. Exciting times we are in.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:58:46 PM by SJUFAN »

gman

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2015, 01:56:14 PM »
Maybe he is keeping Jayon