Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2015, 05:09:08 PM »
Mat Abdelmassih: "This is the one job I always said I would come walking back to."

Matt Abdelmassih: "We want to foster relationships where the city kids are expected to go to St. John's."

Someone who gets it. I love this quote. I can't remember the last time I read a SJU coach echo this sentiment.  You get 2-3 quality kids a year, and one or two underrecruited kids, from the 5 boros, NJ, LI and Westchester and this program will be top 25 annually.

« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2015, 05:11:21 PM »
Mat Abdelmassih: "This is the one job I always said I would come walking back to."

Matt Abdelmassih: "We want to foster relationships where the city kids are expected to go to St. John's."

Someone who gets it. I love this quote. I can't remember the last time I read a SJU coach echo this sentiment.  You get 2-3 quality kids a year, and one or two underrecruited kids, from the 5 boros, NJ, LI and Westchester and this program will be top 25 annually.

See Norm's press conference
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:11:44 PM by simplyred »

Johnny23

« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

See Norm's press conference

I meant a real coach.

« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
Are people still thinking the hiring of Matt a means no slice?

« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
Names I've heard.    Matt A.   Slice,  PJ. Carlessimo,  Ed Pinkney.     

How about Chris, Eddie P, Matt A, Slice and Terrence as DOBO.

4 kids from Brooklyn and 1 from the Bronx.  Nothing more New York than that!!!!  LOL!!!

Pretty close except for Slice 

As in Slice isnt coming?

Don't believe so

Do you think Slice would be talking to SJU, when his team in the Final Four? I hope not, but I don't live in that world, would seem unprofessional, after yes.

Not sure how unprofessional it really is. Didn't Capel have an interview with ASU yesterday?

Mullin could have called Slice saying congrats on making the Final 4.

« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »

This notion that the talent isn't here in NY is ridiculous. If we take care of our back yard we will be good year in, year out. 

Talent in NY stinks
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Names I've heard.    Matt A.   Slice,  PJ. Carlessimo,  Ed Pinkney.     

How about Chris, Eddie P, Matt A, Slice and Terrence as DOBO.

4 kids from Brooklyn and 1 from the Bronx.  Nothing more New York than that!!!!  LOL!!!

Pretty close except for Slice 

As in Slice isnt coming?

Don't believe so

Do you think Slice would be talking to SJU, when his team in the Final Four? I hope not, but I don't live in that world, would seem unprofessional, after yes.

Not sure how unprofessional it really is. Didn't Capel have an interview with ASU yesterday?

Mullin could have called Slice saying congrats on making the Final 4.

For Head Coaching job I can understand, but not as much moving to a parallel position. Was just wondering how it is accepted by fellow Head Coaches.

« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
No one here has ever sought new job opportunity while being gainfully employed before?

Why should it be different for basketball coaches?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »

This notion that the talent isn't here in NY is ridiculous. If we take care of our back yard we will be good year in, year out. 

Talent in NY stinks

i really hope this isn't Norm 2.0 where we bend over backwards trying to land NYC talent, only to be turned down at the end.   

the PR behind this hire appears to be about keeping local talent.  that is the wrong way to go in my opinion.  yes mullin and crew shouldn't alienate local schools, coaches, "handlers" but to make nyc the priority...  i don't know.

Tha Kid

« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

i really hope this isn't Norm 2.0 where we bend over backwards trying to land NYC talent, only to be turned down at the end.   

the PR behind this hire appears to be about keeping local talent.  that is the wrong way to go in my opinion.  yes mullin and crew shouldn't alienate local schools, coaches, "handlers" but to make nyc the priority...  i don't know.

Making NYC AND NJ the priority would work out just fine.
"I drink and I know things"

sju89tr

« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
How hard is it to take 5 minutes out of your busy day preparing for final 4 for you to say you are interested in the job and we will talk after I am done with the season. Who knows maybe Cal gave his blessing and they will talk again in Indy. 

goredmen

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2015, 06:13:19 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

Not true

« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

in the 80s.  not today.

sju89tr

« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:15 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

in the 80s.  not today.

This NY thing is overrated

The main thing is you cannot ignore NYC kids when they are there and some kids you may have to take a chance on and then develop them

You need a good balance of NYC/NJ/CT kids and then go elsewhere for a need

I would imagine we won't forget about Cali kids, or Texas kids, and maybe even hit Florida for some talent 

Tha Kid

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

in the 80s.  not today.

Priority means your "focus", not where you dedicate 100% of your resources.  And NJ has been extremely fertile for basketball players.

Even in the 80s/90s we got guys form outside the tristate area (for better or worse)...our goal should be to try to get at least 1-2 kids from NYC/NJ/CT to stay a year, that way once schollies balance out, you have between 4-8 kids from the tristate.  6 would be a nice critical mass.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:36:40 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
You got to hand it to these SHU insiders who have all the SJU information...

Derm Player...HA HA...Coach Mullin would jump off the Triborough before he hired Derm Player...

It's been 5 minutes and I still haven't stop laughing at that one.

https://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=179799321&mid=179799321&sid=959&style=2

@AdamZagoria: Former Seton Hall/St. John's asst Dermon Player in the mix for Chris Mullin's staff, source confirms to @SNYtv

I hope this is just one rumor.  I recall him petitioning for a spot on Lavin's initial staff.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:44:57 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
No one here has ever sought new job opportunity while being gainfully employed before?

Why should it be different for basketball coaches?

I agree, but when you are trying to win a championship in a concentrated period of time, it could a major distraction to the Head Coach and Team. Plus it gets played in social media, where your job hunt would not.

« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »

Talent in NY stinks

in the 80s.  not today.

Priority means your "focus", not where you dedicate 100% of your resources.  And NJ has been extremely fertile for basketball players.

Even in the 80s/90s we got guys form outside the tristate area (for better or worse)...our goal should be to try to get at least 1-2 kids from NYC/NJ/CT to stay a year, that way once schollies balance out, you have between 4-8 kids from the tristate.  6 would be a nice critical mass.

Of course, we should recruit NYC area hard, and get the best (players) from the city.  But if we wanna consistently compete on a national level, then we're gonna have to land some of best (players) throughout the nation and abroad (when and if opportunity knocks).

« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
You got to hand it to these SHU insiders who have all the SJU information...

Derm Player...HA HA...Coach Mullin would jump off the Triborough before he hired Derm Player...

It's been 5 minutes and I still haven't stop laughing at that one.

https://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=179799321&mid=179799321&sid=959&style=2

@AdamZagoria: Former Seton Hall/St. John's asst Dermon Player in the mix for Chris Mullin's staff, source confirms to @SNYtv

I hope this is just one rumor.  I recall him petitioning for a spot on Lavin's initial staff.

He did and I am not sure where Zags got that.

And I can't believe it is anything but an administrative position.