Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »
I think they would like Mitch on the staff (even if it is an administrative role) for the purposes of recruiting in the next live weekend, April 24-26.  He could temporarily be a recruiting assistant for SJU.

Foad

« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »
Administrative (non-assistant positions) can be as many as you want and you can call them anything you want.

One position that is used prominently is DOBO, but that is not a requirement.  You can call it something else, or you can have 5 people doing that job.  Remember the NCAA doesn't regulate how many people can be on your total staff, what they regulate are recruiting assistants.
  They also regulate who can work with players on the court.  But you're right, you can have as many people as you want on a "staff".  You can call them "video coordinators","assistant video coordinators" , "travel coordinators" etc.. 

The only thing I would worry about here is "to many cooks spoiling the broth". You bring in Pinckney and Richmond and you have all these basketball people on the staff;  it's going to be like the Tower of Babble.  And Matt is an important assistant and he is going to be relegated to sitting off to the side,  listening to all these NBA guys argue over what they are going to be doing.  That's my worry.

You worry a lot.

« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2015, 01:07:59 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/04/16/more-changes-likely-for-kings-after-another-losing-season/25894153/

COACHING STAFF: Karl had no time to put together his own coaching staff so deep into the season other than adding offensive guru Vance Walberg. Count on Karl to make more moves this summer. He already has expressed interest in Nancy Lieberman, a former WNBA coach and one of the best women's basketball players ever. Hall of Famers such as Gary Payton and Mitch Richmond as well as Karl's son, Coby, are also possibilities.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #503 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
Now hearing Terence will not be with us.

Moose

« Reply #504 on: April 27, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »

He was never going to be with us.
Was just volunteering and helping out Mullin since we were men short.
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #505 on: April 27, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

I heard it was still up in the air

« Reply #506 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »

Hope so. Would be great on this staff

MCNPA

« Reply #507 on: April 27, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »

I think we should hire Diallo's handler for Dobo lol..jk

sju89tr

« Reply #508 on: April 27, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »

I think we should hire Diallo's handler for Dobo lol..jk

would that be legit? He never coached him a assume. I know you were just joking but I guess it would be the same as hiring a parent 

« Reply #509 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
Administrative (non-assistant positions) can be as many as you want and you can call them anything you want.

One position that is used prominently is DOBO, but that is not a requirement.  You can call it something else, or you can have 5 people doing that job.  Remember the NCAA doesn't regulate how many people can be on your total staff, what they regulate are recruiting assistants.
  They also regulate who can work with players on the court.  But you're right, you can have as many people as you want on a "staff".  You can call them "video coordinators","assistant video coordinators" , "travel coordinators" etc.. 

The only thing I would worry about here is "to many cooks spoiling the broth". You bring in Pinckney and Richmond and you have all these basketball people on the staff;  it's going to be like the Tower of Babble.  And Matt is an important assistant and he is going to be relegated to sitting off to the side,  listening to all these NBA guys argue over what they are going to be doing.  That's my worry.

This was the whole reason why the NCAA came up with the 2 year rule where a player cannot play for a team if a coach on that staff was associated within the last 2 years with that player UNLESS that coach is one of the 3 MAIN assistant coaches. 

Because Bill Self would hire Mario Chalmers father in an administrative position and then land his son.  Bill Self could create 10K administrative positions if he wanted to just to land a player.  The NCAA rule is used to prevent this from happening.

But since you only get 3 assistants you better be careful who you hire just to get a player.  See Seton Hall hiring Tiny Morton.  In the old rules Willard or even Lavin could have hired Morton in an administrative role and still get Whitehead.  But not anymore.  Tiny needed to be hired as one of the 3 main assistants or it doesn’t work.

It is also why SJU could not get Lamont Jones as a transfer in 2011, remember?  Because Mo Hicks was DOBO and he within the previous 2 years had an AAU association with Jones.  Since Mo Hicks was NOT one of the 3 main assistants SJU could not recruit him and thus he transferred to Iona from Arizona when we know his first choice was SJU.
The rule ALSO STATES that the hiring can't be contingent on the signing but since everyone knew beforehand that it was, they broke the rules; you just can't prove it.  Don't anyone disagree with this because it was being argued about 6 months before they even posted the phony job vacancy on their staff.  And then all of the sudden Tiny appears on their website on a sleepy August afternoon.

Marillac

« Reply #510 on: April 27, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but Cushing Academy of the NEPSAC has two top 70 players for 2017.  Chris Mullin Jr. is a very proud former student-athlete at Cushing.  The coach, Barry Connors, is the same.  I'm sure he and Mullin are friendly.

Who knows if anything comes out of the connection, but the trio of coaches we already have in place have countless connections that are very hard to keep track of.  Good times ahead.

Moose

« Reply #511 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but Cushing Academy of the NEPSAC has two top 70 players for 2017.  Chris Mullin Jr. is a very proud former student-athlete at Cushing.  The coach, Barry Connors, is the same.  I'm sure he and Mullin are friendly.

Who knows if anything comes out of the connection, but the trio of coaches we already have in place have countless connections that are very hard to keep track of.  Good times ahead.

That isn't Chris' son right?

Marillac

« Reply #512 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »

Hahaha
Yeah, it's is son.  He graduated in 2013 from Cushing.   Apparently he really liked it there, because he always gives them shout-outs and being a NEPSAC champ is the first thing listed on his Twitter. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:51:37 PM by Marillac »

Moose

« Reply #513 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:42 PM »

Hahaha
Yeah, it's is son.  He graduated in 2013 from Cushing.   Apparently he really liked it there, because he always gives them shout-outs and being a NEPSAC champ is the first thing listed on his Twitter. 

Sorry I misread your post. I know there was a Chris Mullins Jr on Twitter this weekend plus Manute Bol named his kid after Chris. Just got wasn't sure

sju89tr

« Reply #514 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »

Hahaha

Sorry I misread your post. I know there was a Chris Mullins Jr on Twitter this weekend plus Manute Bol named his kid after Chris. Just got wasn't sure

Mullin Jr spent some time at Loyola Marymount

« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »
Wonder if Dave Boff is being considered to staff?

pmg911

« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2015, 03:13:10 PM »
Love seeing Coach Mullin at BTIG Charity Day.

If anyone saw the picture on Twitter...  the guy in the middle, Steve Starker, is one of the new owners of the Atlanta Hawks

Moose

« Reply #517 on: April 28, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Love seeing Coach Mullin at BTIG Charity Day.

If anyone saw the picture on Twitter...  the guy in the middle, Steve Starker, is one of the new owners of the Atlanta Hawks

What's that guy's deal?  He was always with Lavin too.

boo3

« Reply #518 on: April 29, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
So is the majority of the fan base ok if they don't hire an X and O guy for the bench?

I mean, Lavin spent 20 years as a coach and he was a terrible game coach.  Not to mention he had old man Keady next him, yet we still lacked.

Mullin has never coached a day in his life. While I'm sure his hoops acumen is off the charts, that doesn't mean he'll be Brad Stevens.   

I would feel much better if they hired someone.  Maybe I'm alone.   

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a right  hand man. 

If you believe it's Slice, so be it.  My impression he's here to bring in players , not draw up plays. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:59:55 AM by boo3 »

sju89tr

« Reply #519 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »
So is the majority of the fan base ok if they don't hire an X and O guy for the bench?

I mean, Lavin spent 20 years as a coach and he was a terrible game coach.  Not to mention he had old man Keady next him, yet we still lacked.

Mullin has never coached a day in his life. While I'm sure his hoops acumen is off the charts, that doesn't mean he'll be Brad Stevens.   

I would feel much better if they hired someone.  Maybe I'm alone.   

I want this to succeed as much as anyone,  I think it can only help to have a rift hand man. 

If you believe it's Slice, so be it.  My impression he's here to bring in players , not draw up plays. 

Part of me wants a guy like Pinkney because I think he would be tremendous teacher to the bigs and can probably be a great recruiter too.

The realist part of me wants an X and O guy like Dunlap to help the new coach.