Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

goredmen

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #560 on: May 04, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
As much as I have been against the previous two coaches, they both did what they were brought here to do. Norm cleaned up the program and kept it clean and Lavin made us relevant again. The new staff is well on the way to doing their job and making us a consistent winner

Norm was brought here to ruin the program, and that was the only thing he succeeded in doing. At least under Lavin, we weren't a complete laughing stock.

Ok

TONYD3

« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

goredmen

« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

Lavin shoukd have been let go a year ago

goredmen

« Reply #564 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »

Maybe. I was as anti-Lavin as anybody but I believe it was right to give him the opportunity to coach Harrison Dom and Phil in their senior season. Entering last season Lavin still had the chance to have a very successful season and reel in a very quality recruiting class

« Reply #565 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »

Maybe. I was as anti-Lavin as anybody but I believe it was right to give him the opportunity to coach Harrison Dom and Phil in their senior season. Entering last season Lavin still had the chance to have a very successful season and reel in a very quality recruiting class

Same way Norm was allowed to coach his seniors?

desco80

« Reply #566 on: May 05, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

He should have been fired for his shennanigans during the 11-12 season.   
Nobody wants to admit that, but that's when he started to think he could get away with less than 100% effort. 
SJU was generous and understanding to a fault.

desco80

« Reply #567 on: May 05, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »

But there was no reason to think he would.
We had seen his track record by then.   He wiffed on the 2014 recruiting class, and with even more talent couldn't make the tournament that season.
Why was 2015 goign to be any different?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #568 on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
[quote author=Marco

1. Lavin actually made it to 1 NCAA tournament and 2 NITs with his players, where Roberts made it to 1 NIT and 1 CBI.
2. The only way Roberts might have saved his job for one more year would have been if he a made a run in the NIT.
3. Last year year SJU had a holdover president so no big moves were to be expected.
4. Dr. G did the right thing by giving Lavin a full season to evaluate Lavin to see if he was the coach for SJU for the long term.
5. Firing Lavin was clear for half the board and many others on the board were willing to let him go only if we got a proven commodity or somebody with serious potential to take this team to the next level. The coaching list was very short for this board and it included keeping Lavin. Couldn't say the same about Roberts.

SJU went to shake things up big time, and they did this by hiring the first non clergy President in SJU history. Dr. G is also shaking things up by making bold moves wishing the school as well and that included firing Lavin and the status qou and bringing in Mullin a coaching unknown but has huge potential to make the city been SJU Res again.

Maybe Lavin was doomed from the start with the new President and  he did not help himself with the lack of recruitment and player issues. On the other hand him being fired was not such a sure thing and maybe if SJU wasn't trying to be so bold he would have survived. Universally almost everyone agrees that Roberts wasn't the man for the job and probably shouldn't have even coached his players when they were Jrs.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #569 on: May 05, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »

Nobody wants to admit that, but that's when he started to think he could get away with less than 100% effort. 

Having cancer is considered "shenannigans" now. Wow.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:16:20 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #570 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »

Having cancer is considered "shenannigans" now. Wow.

i think Desco means, after that lavins efforts were alot less focused then they should have been even after his clean bill of health . I mean look at the roster Mullin inherited , wow. Its amazing were are talking about 5th to 3rd in the BE right now.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:51:13 PM by valgoth »

SJUFAN

« Reply #571 on: May 05, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
i think Desco means, after that lavins efforts were alot less focused then they should have been even after his clean bill of health . I mean look at the roster Mullin inherited , wow. Its amazing were are talking about 5th to 3rd in the BE right now.

Its clear Lavin got lazy, however, Is that not what a lead recruiter is suppose to do, recruit? Why does Chiles get a pass? He was not good and focused to much on second chance kids.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:12:59 PM by SJUFAN »

TONYD3

« Reply #572 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
The guy recruited 4 years . We got too players 3 of those years. He had players coming in this year also. His problem was not recruiting .

« Reply #573 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »
The guy recruited 4 years . We got too players 3 of those years. He had players coming in this year also. His problem was not recruiting .

MULLIN was left with 2 players, both unstable.

SJUFAN

« Reply #574 on: May 05, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »

Outside of Sampson, who else was coming in that was going to qualify and was taller that 6'5"? We were going to have the same problem as last year with a lack of front line depth.

ras

« Reply #575 on: May 05, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
even if you argue Lavin got us good players, he didn't balance the roster. Last year we had 1 BE calibre player over 6 6. and just about 0 depth. And the year we were loaded, Sanchez,Sampson et al., he couldn't decide on a lineup.

« Reply #576 on: May 05, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »

Outside of Sampson, who else was coming in that was going to qualify and was taller that 6'5"? We were going to have the same problem as last year with a lack of front line depth.

Sampson could've opted out to LSU either way
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:34:12 PM by Marco Baldi »

Wods317

« Reply #577 on: May 05, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Great thread about Mullins staff. Every thread turns into something about Lavin. He's gone!

« Reply #578 on: May 05, 2015, 07:12:22 PM »
To say specifically that lavin needed to be fired after 2011 2012 is what I have an issue with.  As a childhood cancer survivor and someone who spoke personally to lavin during that season several times about his surgery and how he was feeling I can say that not only am I personally  offended by that comment but I think to say he NEEDED to be fired after that year specifically is a crock of s*** and crossing the line.  I get you guys didn't like him and have personal agendas. Great. But he's gone. Enough is enough. You wanted him fired because of his last couple years ok, whatever. But to say after that year specifically is too much
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:14:16 PM by shaun1345 »

redslope

« Reply #579 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
To say specifically that lavin needed to be fired after 2011 2012 is what I have an issue with.  As a childhood cancer survivor and someone who spoke personally to lavin during that season several times about his surgery and how he was feeling I can say that not only am I personally  offended by that comment but I think to say he NEEDED to be fired after that year specifically is a crock of s*** and crossing the line.  I get you guys didn't like him and have personal agendas. Great. But he's gone. Enough is enough. You wanted him fired because of his last couple years ok, whatever. But to say after that year specifically is too much

Amen brother!!!!  I too am a cancer survivor, as an adult, and beneath it all there is depression to also combat.