Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

isham

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #580 on: May 05, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Desco Duck is just full of hate. I wish him and his family good health

« Reply #581 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:34 PM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

Lavin shoukd have been let go a year ago

He should have been fired for his shennanigans during the 11-12 season.   
Nobody wants to admit that, but that's when he started to think he could get away with less than 100% effort. 
SJU was generous and understanding to a fault.

Damn desco I like you man but that is just freaking ridiculous. Came off a tourny appearance, two very good recruiting classes, and a bout with cancer.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Mike

« Reply #582 on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

Nobody wants to admit that, but that's when he started to think he could get away with less than 100% effort. 

Wow, I knew sooner or later you will end up looking like a jacka$$. Hope you feel better about yourself.

DFF6

« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:31 PM »

Wow, I knew sooner or later you will end up looking like a jacka$$. Hope you feel better about yourself.

Regardless of the cancer, or Dunlap leaving, or the death of Lavin's Dad, or a combination of things, it is clear that Lavin never achieved the same success (at both coaching and recruiting) that he experienced in his first season.  Whether that is attributable to Lavin not exerting the same or similar effort or not (as Desco suggests), I don't know.   Either way, I think the school gave Lavin exactly the right amount of time to prove whether he was worthy of an extended contract.  And as much as I disliked certain of his attributes, I will always remain grateful for Lavin bringing the program back to relevancy.

« Reply #584 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »
The guy recruited 4 years . We got too players 3 of those years. He had players coming in this year also. His problem was not recruiting .

Outside of Sampson, who else was coming in that was going to qualify and was taller that 6'5"? We were going to have the same problem as last year with a lack of front line depth.

Sampson could've opted out to LSU either way
then why didn't he opt out before lavin got fired ? Jungle Dave who knows the kid and his coach said he loved Lavin and that they were pissed lavin got fired and that Chiles was real close to his coach ?

if knowing that why and knowing the kid didn't opt out while Lavin was coaching why even try and throw out the idea that the kid might have decomitted.

Just give lavin credit that he got he kid and he decomitted because lavin got fired which is what happened

Poison

« Reply #585 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »

Maybe. I was as anti-Lavin as anybody but I believe it was right to give him the opportunity to coach Harrison Dom and Phil in their senior season. Entering last season Lavin still had the chance to have a very successful season and reel in a very quality recruiting class

Same way Norm was allowed to coach his seniors?

Norm didn't do anything that should make any of us believe he was capable of having even a respectable season in the BE. Lavin didn't succeed, but at least we were able to compete under him.

Norm was routinely blown out by any team that was even half way decent.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:09:45 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #586 on: May 06, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »

And if he had been fired, we would have lost guys to transfer, not made the tournament,  and we never get Mullin, Matt, and Slice.  What's the point of doing this every few days?  He took us back to respectability with two NCAA tournaments and handed the baton off to Mullin to get us to the next level.  Do you know how easy it is to suck at St. John's.  Say whatever you want, but we didn't suck under Lavin. 

« Reply #587 on: May 06, 2015, 07:32:22 AM »
Things happen when they are supposed to.

Tha Kid

« Reply #588 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »
Why are we even discussing lavins firing anymore? Our living legend is now our coach, in one month excitement and hope for the program is at an all time high in the 21st century...why talk about negative stuff w the prior coach?  Some guys on here clearly only enjoy discussing negative topics....
"I drink and I know things"

Wods317

« Reply #589 on: May 06, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
Why are we even discussing lavins firing anymore? Our living legend is now our coach, in one month excitement and hope for the program is at an all time high in the 21st century...why talk about negative stuff w the prior coach?  Some guys on here clearly only enjoy discussing negative topics....

+1000. I said that like 20 posts ago. I love coming here to post but I go on this thread hoping there's more information on a coaching hire for the staff and instead I get the same Lavin talk. The guy is gone, someon needs to get these threads back on topic.

« Reply #590 on: May 06, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
Lavin is part of the history of the school. Same as every other coach who gets a mention here. This is a message board, a place to discuss. I do agree it should hve a different thread, but a lot of threads spin off into other topics.

desco80

« Reply #591 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »

And if he had been fired, we would have lost guys to transfer, not made the tournament,  and we never get Mullin, Matt, and Slice.  What's the point of doing this every few days?  He took us back to respectability with two NCAA tournaments and handed the baton off to Mullin to get us to the next level.  Do you know how easy it is to suck at St. John's.  Say whatever you want, but we didn't suck under Lavin. 

We also didn't suck under Mahoney, Fran, or Jarvis.    Every coach post Louie has made the tournament and signed a top 20 recruit, besides Norm.    So Lavin's success is on par with the rest.

And for those that thought my prior comment was ridiculous;  he knew about his cancer in June and scheduled a procedure for November?  How does that make any sense for a college basketball coach?
Also, when you're healthy enough to coach ... you come back.  It's not complicated.
What he did, calling himself a GM and watching games from a suite was unprecedented.    Tons of college coaches have dealt with that awful disease, and they all sat out and then came back when they had recovered.
I don't blame him at all for trying to come back early, and finding out he couldn't.   That is completely understandable.
But what happened for the rest of the season was a joke.    Him flying around recruiting while his team played games?   Attending every game from a suite at msg but not coaching?
That's not the job you were hired for.   

That is when the nonsense and games between Lavin and the University started.  Whether you want to acknowledge that or not is fine, but I feel strongly
that he handled that about as poorly as possible.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:59:14 AM by desco80 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #592 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Back on topic, does anyone believe the last assistant spot will be anyone other than Pinkney?

« Reply #593 on: May 06, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
Back on topic, does anyone believe the last assistant spot will be anyone other than Pinkney?

Nope. And I think Mitch takes the Keady job

pmg911

« Reply #594 on: May 06, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »

I would much rather see him bring in something with some more head coaching experience vs. Pickney.

Tha Kid

« Reply #595 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

We also didn't suck under Mahoney, Fran, or Jarvis.    Every coach post Louie has made the tournament and signed a top 20 recruit, besides Norm.    So Lavin's success is on par with the rest.

And for those that thought my prior comment was ridiculous;  he knew about his cancer in June and scheduled a procedure for November?  How does that make any sense for a college basketball coach?
Also, when you're healthy enough to coach ... you come back.  It's not complicated.
What he did, calling himself a GM and watching games from a suite was unprecedented.    Tons of college coaches have dealt with that awful disease, and they all sat out and then came back when they had recovered.
I don't blame him at all for trying to come back early, and finding out he couldn't.   That is completely understandable.
But what happened for the rest of the season was a joke.    Him flying around recruiting while his team played games?   Attending every game from a suite at msg but not coaching?

That is when the nonsense and games between Lavin and the University started.  Whether you want to acknowledge that or not is fine, but I feel strongly

"I drink and I know things"

SJUFAN

« Reply #596 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »

Not sure about Mitch. He will not be able to coach, what would he gain by doing that?

« Reply #597 on: May 06, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »

Not sure about Mitch. He will not be able to coach, what would he gain by doing that?

Experience

SJUFAN

« Reply #598 on: May 06, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »

Experience

Experience doing what exactly? He will not be able to coach, that is what he wants to do.

« Reply #599 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »

I'm worried about that dude.   :D

It's similar to Pavlov's dogs (they get excited and salivate at the sign of negativity) with some of these folks.