Mullin's staff

• 913 replies
Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #600 on: May 06, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
Back on topic, does anyone believe the last assistant spot will be anyone other than Pinkney?

Nope. And I think Mitch takes the Keady job

Not sure about Mitch. He will not be able to coach, what would he gain by doing that?

Experience

Experience doing what exactly? He will not be able to coach, that is what he wants to do.

That's what I mean. It's a step in the right direction.  Stay a year or 2 and learn in the big east

ras

« Reply #601 on: May 06, 2015, 11:27:32 AM »
Lavin is part of the history of the school. Same as every other coach who gets a mention here. This is a message board, a place to discuss. I do agree it should hve a different thread, but a lot of threads spin off into other topics.
+1. When Lavin was hired everybody compared him to Norm, and Norm got bashed. But, god for bid someone mentions Lavins shortcomings, its blasphemy. Many people are just comparing Lavins philosophy to Mullin s.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:31:39 AM by ras »

SJUFAN

« Reply #602 on: May 06, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »
Back on topic, does anyone believe the last assistant spot will be anyone other than Pinkney?

Not sure about Mitch. He will not be able to coach, what would he gain by doing that?

Experience

Experience doing what exactly? He will not be able to coach, that is what he wants to do.

That's what I mean. It's a step in the right direction.  Stay a year or 2 and learn in the big east

So he is suppose to learn to be a Coach by not being a coach yet some posters are concerned that CM doesn't have enough "X's and O's" experience on his staff although they all have actually been assistant coaches and Slice has been a HC. How does that make sense? You learn by doing, that is how you will be judged. You maybe right but I just don't see Mitch coming in to be a Mascot.

« Reply #603 on: May 06, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »

Experience

So he is suppose to learn to be a Coach by not being a coach yet some posters are concerned that CM doesn't have enough "X's and O's" experience on his staff although they all have actually been assistant coaches and Slice has been a HC. How does that make sense? You learn by doing, that is how you will be judged. You maybe right but I just don't see Mitch coming in to be a Mascot.

What's he doing now?

Tha Kid

« Reply #604 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »

Experience

Rather than "Mascot" I consider it an extremely high paid internship.  He gets paid like an assistant coach but basically cane be Mullin's right hand man/advisor and learn straight from Mullin and the other coaches.  Then he becomes an assistant for us in 1-2 years when someone on our staff inevitably leaves, or DOBO at that point, or an assistant elsehwere.  It's not a terrible idea, if Richmond is willing to do it.  And Mullin obviously benefits by having another Hall of Fame player giving him ideas, insight, etc. right on staff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:37:56 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

Lavin shoukd have been let go a year ago

And if he had been fired, we would have lost guys to transfer, not made the tournament,  and we never get Mullin, Matt, and Slice.  What's the point of doing this every few days?  He took us back to respectability with two NCAA tournaments and handed the baton off to Mullin to get us to the next level.  Do you know how easy it is to suck at St. John's.  Say whatever you want, but we didn't suck under Lavin. 

We also didn't suck under Mahoney, Fran, or Jarvis.    Every coach post Louie has made the tournament and signed a top 20 recruit, besides Norm.    So Lavin's success is on par with the rest.

And for those that thought my prior comment was ridiculous;  he knew about his cancer in June and scheduled a procedure for November?  How does that make any sense for a college basketball coach?
Also, when you're healthy enough to coach ... you come back.  It's not complicated.
What he did, calling himself a GM and watching games from a suite was unprecedented.    Tons of college coaches have dealt with that awful disease, and they all sat out and then came back when they had recovered.
I don't blame him at all for trying to come back early, and finding out he couldn't.   That is completely understandable.
But what happened for the rest of the season was a joke.    Him flying around recruiting while his team played games?   Attending every game from a suite at msg but not coaching?
That's not the job you were hired for.   

That is when the nonsense and games between Lavin and the University started.  Whether you want to acknowledge that or not is fine, but I feel strongly
that he handled that about as poorly as possible.   

This one has to take the cake.  Desco, there can't possibly be any part of you that believes lavin would say "I have cancer, but I don't want it to be taken out yet.  I'd rather leave it in and possibly increase my risk of dying so I can schedule it for when I won't have to coach desco's favorite basketball team."   That's literally the craziest thing I've seen posted here.  Besides the fact that "scheduling" the operation comes more from the doc advice(try other Methods of treatment first, pre op procedure ect....)than personal choice.  I'm sorry man, I don't know what lavin did to you but I can say with certainty that no one is pushing off having cancer removed from their body solely so they can sabotage your hoops team.  I hope that makes you feel a little better and eases some of your paranoia.  As far as getting off topic. I apologize to those that are bothered by my post but I just can't see stuff like this posted and not say something.

DFF6

« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
Kind of agree with poison . Cleaning up the program was great. Sucking for so long wasn't. That never should of or had to happen .

Yes, they just kept Norm around too long. They thought he could both clean up the program and make us relevant again. He couldn't do the latter. Much like how I don't think Lavin could have both made us relevant AND a consistent winner. Laving was let go at the right time whereas Norm was kept 2 years too long

And if he had been fired, we would have lost guys to transfer, not made the tournament,  and we never get Mullin, Matt, and Slice.  What's the point of doing this every few days?  He took us back to respectability with two NCAA tournaments and handed the baton off to Mullin to get us to the next level.  Do you know how easy it is to suck at St. John's.  Say whatever you want, but we didn't suck under Lavin. 

We also didn't suck under Mahoney, Fran, or Jarvis.    Every coach post Louie has made the tournament and signed a top 20 recruit, besides Norm.    So Lavin's success is on par with the rest.

And for those that thought my prior comment was ridiculous;  he knew about his cancer in June and scheduled a procedure for November?  How does that make any sense for a college basketball coach?
Also, when you're healthy enough to coach ... you come back.  It's not complicated.
What he did, calling himself a GM and watching games from a suite was unprecedented.    Tons of college coaches have dealt with that awful disease, and they all sat out and then came back when they had recovered.
I don't blame him at all for trying to come back early, and finding out he couldn't.   That is completely understandable.
But what happened for the rest of the season was a joke.    Him flying around recruiting while his team played games?   Attending every game from a suite at msg but not coaching?

That is when the nonsense and games between Lavin and the University started.  Whether you want to acknowledge that or not is fine, but I feel strongly

This one has to take the cake.  Desco, there can't possibly be any part of you that believes lavin would say "I have cancer, but I don't want it to be taken out yet.  I'd rather leave it in and possibly increase my risk of dying so I can schedule it for when I won't have to coach desco's favorite basketball team."   That's literally the craziest thing I've seen posted here.  Besides the fact that "scheduling" the operation comes more from the doc advice(try other Methods of treatment first, pre op procedure ect....)than personal choice.  I'm sorry man, I don't know what lavin did to you but I can say with certainty that no one is pushing off having cancer removed from their body solely so they can sabotage your hoops team.  I hope that makes you feel a little better and eases some of your paranoia.  As far as getting off topic. I apologize to those that are bothered by my post but I just can't see stuff like this posted and not say something.

Not to pile on here, but one of the side effects of prostate cancer treatment is the loss of control over your "plumbing", which might explain why Lavin felt more comfortable in a room near a bathroom following his surgery and treatment, then on the sidelines for an hour at a time.  Just saying...

« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

Not to pile on here, but one of the side effects of prostate cancer treatment is the loss of control over your "plumbing", which might explain why Lavin felt more comfortable in a room near a bathroom following his surgery and treatment, then on the sidelines for an hour at a time.  Just saying...
Yet comfortable on a plane?

« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »
Some disgusting posts in this thread. Jesus.

« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »

With a restroom near by, per DFF's explanation.

« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »

With a restroom near by, per DFF's explanation.

It's like taking a dump in a Dixie cup. Whatever works I guess.

« Reply #611 on: May 06, 2015, 12:00:13 PM »
Desco, please imagine how uncomfortable you'd be coaching a basketball game on national TV, without being able to control your bladder. And that's assuming that was the only issue. Have some empathy.

SJUFAN

« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »

Experience

What's he doing now?

I think he is doing some scouting for the Kings, which is closer to being a coach than holding someone's clip board or handing the coach a drink of water.

SJUFAN

« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »

Experience

Rather than "Mascot" I consider it an extremely high paid internship.  He gets paid like an assistant coach but basically cane be Mullin's right hand man/advisor and learn straight from Mullin.

So Mitch is going to learn from someone with as much coaching experience as he and from others on the staff who doesn't have enough "X and O's" experience for CM?  Why isn't he on the staff if that is what the plan is? We can certainly use him on the recruiting trail since we are down one. I can see how we would benefit from having him on the staff, I just don't see why Mitch would do it.

« Reply #614 on: May 06, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »

Mahoney only had 1 good year and that was because of David Cain

You knock Lavin for being Lazy and now you are bashing him for recruiting players while he was recovering from cancer ? As I recall that recruiting got us Jakarr back into the fold as well as Obekpa and Branch

So he should have done nothing and let the team disintegrate after Gathers had already backed out

« Reply #615 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
You guys really dont think these dobo's and secondary assistants do any coaching?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:00:33 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #616 on: May 06, 2015, 08:57:11 PM »
You guys really dont think these dobo's and secondary assistants dont do any coaching?

I'm sure they do but it's unofficial. I would believe that Mitch would have his choice of assistant coaching positions if he wanted it. Why relegate himself to an unofficial position. 

Foad

« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
handed the baton off to Mullin

He didn't exactly hand off the baton. More like he forgot the baton under the table at Rao's after a late dinner and one of the waiters found it and turned it in to management and they returned it to SJU and then BG gave the baton to Mullin. All Lavin handed off to Mullin was a doggie bag full of crappy leftovers like Amar Amarovich and Felix Balamou.

TONYD3

« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »
So Jordan and obekpa are not coming back?

jsk

« Reply #619 on: May 07, 2015, 09:06:15 AM »
What benefit is derived from trashing people with negative and nasty comments? These degrade the value of this forum, the people who read and follow it, the people who are insulted and demeaned in the unnecessary comments, and, of course, the negative poster him (her) self. We need to practice Class and a constructive approach in expressing our observations and opinions! Think about it before you post.