Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

MCNPA

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #760 on: July 01, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
I just read he graduated high school 2009 meaning he's ~24. I feel like that's a little young, no? Not saying it's not a good hire but seems like a lot of responsibility for someone who's essentially fresh out of school

Abdelmessih not far our of college either and he's killing it.  Likely he will be a DOBO but even if not, he played college and has been doing skills stuff for NBA for a few years.  In addition, his father an NBA coach.   So he's not qualified for DOBO spot, yet Kevin Willard with similar background, is more qualified as head coach of a Big East program?  I don't think it has any indication of his abilities.. He's also supposedly got a relentless work ethic ala Mullin so I see why he'd be a guy Mullin would love..

desco80

« Reply #761 on: July 02, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
Son is also an analytics guy, right?  Not sure how much the prior staff relied on that but I think it has its place, along with traditional means of scouting and player evaluation.

I agree.   Especially defensively.     Cal, Pitino, Uconn  have all put in systems to track their players movements on the court during home games and practices.
Also can be used to measure activity or effort in practice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:36:37 AM by desco80 »

pmg911

« Reply #762 on: July 02, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
I just read he graduated high school 2009 meaning he's ~24. I feel like that's a little young, no? Not saying it's not a good hire but seems like a lot of responsibility for someone who's essentially fresh out of school

Abdelmessih not far our of college either and he's killing it.  Likely he will be a DOBO but even if not, he played college and has been doing skills stuff for NBA for a few years.  In addition, his father an NBA coach.   So he's not qualified for DOBO spot, yet Kevin Willard with similar background, is more qualified as head coach of a Big East program?  I don't think it has any indication of his abilities.. He's also supposedly got a relentless work ethic ala Mullin so I see why he'd be a guy Mullin would love..

How can you compare this kid to Kevin Willard, their backgrounds in terms of basketball resume are not remotely similar.

Willard put in his time as an NBA & Div I assistant under a Hall of Famer and then was a head coach at lower level before moving to  be head coach in Big East.

MCNPA

« Reply #763 on: July 02, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

How can you compare this kid to Kevin Willard, their backgrounds in terms of basketball resume are not remotely similar.

Willard put in his time as an NBA & Div I assistant under a Hall of Famer and then was a head coach at lower level before moving to  be head coach in Big East.

Willard was young and inexperienced as well, both guys have fathers who were promoment coaching names.   That's my only point.  He was head coach for an extremely brief stint prior to this job.  We are interviewing for a DOBO spot, not head coach.  Just because he is young doesn't mean incapable.

wpc77

« Reply #764 on: July 04, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
Well, here's a very good big man coach out of a job as of a few minutes ago : http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/07/trail_blazers_fire_kim_hughes_assistant_coach_who.html

« Reply #765 on: July 04, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »
Well, here's a very good big man coach out of a job as of a few minutes ago : http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/07/trail_blazers_fire_kim_hughes_assistant_coach_who.html

Guess he wasn't on board with professional sports teams policy of lying, especially to the press.

Marillac

« Reply #766 on: July 04, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »

He's going for DOBO not head coach of a Big East school.    Willard had to start somewhere and so does this guy.  The kid has future successful head coach written all over him, and I'm sure he'll go through the same type of progression as Willard did.

« Reply #767 on: July 05, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA  1m1 minute ago
Denver coach Michael Malone has hired well-regarded Ed Pinckney as his top assistant, league sources tell Yahoo. He had been with Bulls.

paultzman

« Reply #768 on: July 05, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Ed Pinckney staying in NBA not a surprise. Top candidates for last spot, I'm hearing, are Mitch Richmond and Greg St. Jean. #sjubb

« Reply #769 on: July 05, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »
I'm a little hesitant here.   I would've liked an x and o guy and obviously we swung and missed with Pinckney but having a 24 yr old assistant coach? Ga's will be older than him.  Not that mitch Richmond has any more coaching experience but geez. I guess I just would've hoped that after the stellar recruiting hires of slice and matt a that we would've completed the staff with a seasoned vet.

MCNPA

« Reply #770 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
People are making too much of this.  Mullins has forgotten more basketball than most and Barry Rohrrsen was already a head coach at Manhattan.  Even if Slice wasn't a huge winner at Manhattan he was a head coach at a D1 program.  Mullin can figure out defenses and offenses in the college game.  It's what he has done since he was a kid.  I doubt we will have any issues.

Moose

« Reply #771 on: July 05, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
St. Jean will not be an assistant coach.

Am I doing backflips over Richmond? No I'm not.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #772 on: July 05, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »
I'm a little hesitant here.   I would've liked an x and o guy and obviously we swung and missed with Pinckney but having a 24 yr old assistant coach? Ga's will be older than him.  Not that mitch Richmond has any more coaching experience but geez. I guess I just would've hoped that after the stellar recruiting hires of slice and matt a that we would've completed the staff with a seasoned vet.

We have an X and O guy. Chris Mullin.

wpc77

« Reply #773 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
St. Jean will not be an assistant coach.

Am I doing backflips over Richmond? No I'm not.

That's my perspective as well. Loved him as DoBo when that was the role, not in love with this. I keep going back to what we should want to be - Villanova. Their two junior assistants are local guys who honed their skills elsewhere for years, then made the jump to a big East school.   That fits Matt A to a tee. But Mitch? That means 2/4 coaches have never coached at any level before. That is not ideal. Dare I say it, but it's the same situation that Dexter put himself in during the late 90s. Not saying thi situation will end that poorly, because of Slice's experience, but it bears some concern
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:35:56 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #774 on: July 05, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
I will absolutely take an NBA Hall of Famer as an assistant coach, thanks.

QuanMan

« Reply #775 on: July 05, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
Recruiting pitches can include the idea of being personally developed by 2 Hall of Famers that have limitless NBA connections, how is this a bad thing? Every Top100 kid asks for these very things.
Section 3
Section 116

wpc77

« Reply #776 on: July 05, 2015, 09:55:41 PM »
Swiss guard for all things St Johns coming out. Guys it's valid to take pause at a staff with half of the guys having no experience. Sorry. I am hopeful too, and of course am aware of the pedigrees, but it's not plan A.

desco80

« Reply #777 on: July 05, 2015, 11:42:45 PM »
Regardless of whether he would be a good cosch (and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt)  does anyone else find it ridiculous that Mitch Richmond is in the hall of fame?

Hope he's on our staff and all that ... but the basketball hall is like a participation award.    It's equivalent to baseball and football enshrining Gregg Jeffries and Adrian Murrell

« Reply #778 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:24 AM »
Regardless of whether he would be a good cosch (and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt)  does anyone else find it ridiculous that Mitch Richmond is in the hall of fame?

Hope he's on our staff and all that ... but the basketball hall is like a participation award.    It's equivalent to baseball and football enshrining Gregg Jeffries and Adrian Murrell

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/richmmi01.html

No, I think he is deserving.

SJUFAN

« Reply #779 on: July 06, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »

We have an X and O guy. Chris Mullin.

All of these guys knows X's and O's. The question is....can they teach it? That is what separates the better coaches. We will find out.