A Message to All Those Doubting Chris Mullin as Head Coach

• 17 replies
A Message to All Those Doubting Chris Mullin as Head Coach
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
There are a lot of doubters already of Chris Mullin.

Yes he has never been a head coach but those people who are saying he doesn't know how to must not know what kind of a player he was. This is one of the greatest basketball players in the history of our conference. One of the best shooters and play makers in college basketball. His name rings bells. And don't give me this nonsense about kids not knowing who Chris Mullin is! Ask a parent, hit up youtube, do a little research.

Oh he is the all time scorer for St. John's. Oh he played in the NBA for 16 years. Five Time All-Star, Has his number retired by Golden State. Played on some weird squad called the Dream Team.

This is a guy who walked in these kids shoes. He stayed in the gym and put up the shots to become a legend. So here's his pitch, for all the guys saying he can't and won't know how to recruit.

Brandon Sampson, Marcus LoVett, Cheick Diallo, Georgios Papagiannis, Rawle Alkins listen up. I had a chance to go to Duke and Notre Dame, I chose St. John's because I wanted to make the city great. You want to go to the NBA, I can show you how. You want to go to the final four? I can show you how. You want to make a name for yourself, I can show you how.

Come to St. John's, it's time to be great again.

WELCOME HOME CHRIS MULLIN.

Re: A Message to All Those Doubting Chris Mullin as Head Coach
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

Yes he has never been a head coach but those people who are saying he doesn't know how to must not know what kind of a player he was. This is one of the greatest basketball players in the history of our conference. One of the best shooters and play makers in college basketball. His name rings bells. And don't give me this nonsense about kids not knowing who Chris Mullin is! Ask a parent, hit up youtube, do a little research.

Oh he is the all time scorer for St. John's. Oh he played in the NBA for 16 years. Five Time All-Star, Has his number retired by Golden State. Played on some weird squad called the Dream Team.

This is a guy who walked in these kids shoes. He stayed in the gym and put up the shots to become a legend. So here's his pitch, for all the guys saying he can't and won't know how to recruit.

Brandon Sampson, Marcus LoVett, Cheick Diallo, Georgios Papagiannis, Rawle Alkins listen up. I had a chance to go to Duke and Notre Dame, I chose St. John's because I wanted to make the city great. You want to go to the NBA, I can show you how. You want to go to the final four? I can show you how. You want to make a name for yourself, I can show you how.

Great post!

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
Believe all that. Still nervous.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
Believe all that. Still nervous.
I'm with you, nervous excitement.  Looking forward to see how the staff and early recruiting pans out.  Still, he had a great mind for the game and hope that will translate to coaching

sju89tr

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »

The believers don't know any more than the doubters. He could be Larry Bird. He could be Don Mattingly.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »

The believers don't know any more than the doubters. He could be Larry Bird. He could be Don Mattingly.

Don Mattingly has done fine.  Clyde Drexler would be the appropriate disaster scenario.  But Mullin will succeed.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:45 PM »
I was one of those who were against Mullin or Jackson being hired for the head coaching job. Just like the last time when Lavin was hired, and there were those that mentioned Chris Mullin's name. But since Louie, we have had Brian, Fran, He Who Shall Remain Nameless, Norm, and Lavin. And all we got is nothing or just marginal success. And since there is no great candidate out there with coaching experience that will come to St. John's, then why not give the greatest player in team history a chance. Can he do any worse? Lord, knows, he's been around the game of basketball for over 30 years. I'm willing to support Chris, and wish him luck.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »
I would like to see a experienced coach with some head coaching experience on his staff. It would alleviate some of my concerns. Someone mentioned PJ. That would be great. Someone along those lines.

lihoop

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:17 PM »
it's a great day to be a Johnnie!!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Maybe reading the wrong articles, but has been pretty overwhelmingly positive.
Questioning if he succeeds is understandable. He has never done it before.
No one questioning the hire, just how he will do.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
there are plenty of non-article writers who are hating on the hire

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
Piloti from NJ killing the hire. Saying Eddie Jordan is better. =D

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
wow...

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
wow...

@StevePoliti  ยท  21h 21 hours ago
"Chris Mullin is not Eddie Jordan," says Francesa. This is true. Jordan was vastly more qualified.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »

Piloti is a Hurley guy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
FYI Jordan's last job before Rutgers was coaching a 17U DC Assault team. He wasn't exactly in demand
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »
You can def tell from his articles.