Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies
Recruiting Outlook
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
Mullin's first recruit should be on board by end of week. Expect the scoop on JJ.

Recruitment will move fast but I'd temper expectations for Cheick Diallo. His recruitment will take some time to unfold. A lot of ground needs to be made up there.

Damion Lee will definitely be a target and his family ties in the area will certainly help.

Other 5th year transfer guards will be targets. The bigs most likely will be JUCOs.

Goal is to win now and balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
Dave - with Matt on board, i expect a lot more scoops on JJ  ;-)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Mullin's first recruit should be on board by end of week. Expect the scoop on JJ.

Recruitment will move fast but I'd temper expectations for Cheick Diallo. His recruitment will take some time to unfold. A lot of ground needs to be made up there.

Damion Lee will definitely be a target and his family ties in the area will certainly help.

Other 5th year transfer guards will be targets. The bigs most likely will be JUCOs.

Goal is to win now and balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such.

Music to my ears - "balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such"

ras

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »

Is Mullins first recruit a high quality player?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Goal is to win now and balance out scholarship distribution. 

^^^^
This right here! 

I wasn't one of the folks who felt next season was or had to be a wash.  Keep Jordan and Obekpa, and round out the roster with solid 5th year guys; a solid, JUCO big or two; and the other kids we've been recruiting or have landed.  Next season could very, well end up being a decent-to-good year.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »

Music to my ears - "balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such"

Yeah, it's key to consistently winning unless you're Kentucky and even they have vet depth.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »
"Mullin's first recruit should be on board by end of week. Expect the scoop on JJ."

I'm betting on Papa G signing because....

Matt's bio - I did not know this until Dave posted:
"Abdelmassih also helped the Cyclones sign Oregon State transfer Hallice Cooke and Greek national team player Georgios Tsalmpouris, a skilled 7-1 center."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:05:32 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »
how does all this happen so fast? 

hnk

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »
Coach Mullin and new staff had/have  pre-exisiting relationships.....also this is going to be fun to be a part.  Lots of playing time is available if recruits believe there is going to be a critical mass....plus this is decision time for all!

desco80

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »

You're usually very good about this Dave, but let the kid have his moment

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »

Dave, is this recruit who is signing by weeks end someone who we would expect or someone new that is being brought in through Mullin or Matt A's connections?

Moose

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »

Its called working or effort ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »

Well, it seems like we needed a Truman Show type of deal to keep tabs on how much work and effort went in to the past 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:16:50 PM by bball purist »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »

I love what's happening, but let's be fair to Lavin too.  He signed Polee, a top 100 recruit, within days of  taking job and then added more top 100 recruits the next seven months than our school had all century. 

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
FWIW, adding Damion Lee would be bigger for this team than getting either CO or Rysheed back IMO.  Four years of college experience, a position we have nobody at, shooter, versatile, good size, skilled, and accomplished.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
FWIW, adding Damion Lee would be bigger for this team than getting either CO or Rysheed back IMO.  Four years of college experience, a position we have nobody at, shooter, versatile, good size, skilled, and accomplished.

Is the drexel kid a wing?   Can he play SF?

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »

Is the drexel kid a wing?   Can he play SF?

He's a 6'6 shooter.  I don't see much of a difference between SG and SF in basketball anymore.  In college, due to the smaller, quicker kids playing the two and so many two-pg looks, kids his size usually are better off defending the three. 

He'd be a huge addition. 

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

@TravisHines21: Spoke ISU signee Darien Williams, who Abdelmassih recruited. He’s evaluating the news & how it relates to his future. (1/2)

@TravisHines21: He said he plans on being at ISU, but that Abdelmassih was his lead recruiter and that could change things for him. (2/2)

@TravisHines21: Williams certainly didn’t indicate he wasn’t going to come to ISU. He just got the news and wants to evaluate it.
Juco Forward

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:25 PM »
Listed as 6'6" 200.

Would have been a backup center on last year's team.