Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies

Moose

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
how does all this happen so fast? 

Its called working or effort ;)

I love what's happening, but let's be fair to Lavin too.  He signed Polee, a top 100 recruit, within days of  taking job and then added more top 100 recruits the next seven months than our school had all century. 

Sure
Whatever makes you feel good inside.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
Listed as 6'6" 200.

Would have been a backup center on last year's team.

The Harrison twins are the same size as Dom.   It's amazing we won as much as we did with so little size.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Mullin's first recruit should be on board by end of week. Expect the scoop on JJ.

You're usually very good about this Dave, but let the kid have his moment

huh?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

jr49

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
Listed as 6'6" 200.

The Harrison twins are the same size as Dom.   It's amazing we won as much as we did with so little size.
And so little depth. The 7 out of 8 BE run was the players doing everything they could to bail out the staffs neglect, and of course winning games for themselves. By the time Nova on the road came around they were shot. The blow they got between Sunday and Friday might have helped some had CO played. I do wonder if the staff thinks that run was their doing. On with the new, go Storm.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Mullin's first recruit should be on board by end of week. Expect the scoop on JJ.

huh?

Idk
You were implying that you would give the scoop first on this recruit signing with us.
I'm just saying, I'd rather find out a day later and let this kid announce it on his own.    But I think you do that normally, rather than spoil the kids fun.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:18:41 PM by desco80 »

Foad

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »

I love what's happening, but let's be fair to Lavin too.  He signed Polee, a top 100 recruit, within days of  taking job and then added more top 100 recruits the next seven months than our school had all century. 

Sure

He dumped Lavin last week but now he thinks he might have made a huge mistake.

GEORGE: It'll be different this time.

SUSAN: I need someone a little more stable.

GEORGE: I'm not stable? I'm like a rock. I take these glasses off, you can't tell the difference between me and a rock. I put these glasses on a rock. You know what jumps into most people's minds? Costanza!

SUSAN: People don't change.

GEORGE: I change I change. Two weeks ago I tried a soft boiled egg. Never liked it before. Now I'm dunkin a piece of toast in there and I'm loving it.

SUSAN: I'm not a soft boiled egg.

GEORGE: And I am not a piece of toast.

SUSAN: I just don't think we have anything in common.

GEORGE: That's okay. That's good. You think Louie Pasteur and his wife had anything in common? He was in the fields all day with the cows, you know with the milk, examining the milk, delving into milk, consummed with milk. Pasteurization, Homogenization, She was in the kitchen killing cockroaches with a boot on each hand.

SUSAN: Why were there so many cockroaches?

GEORGE: Because. There was a lot of cake lying around the house. Just sitting there going with all the excess milk from all the experiments [grins]

SUSAN: And they got along?

GEORGE: Yes! Yes. You know. She didn't know about Pasteurization. He didn't know anout Fumigation. But they made it work!

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »

Sure

He dumped Lavin last week but now he thinks he might have made a huge mistake.

GEORGE: It'll be different this time.

SUSAN: I need someone a little more stable.

GEORGE: I'm not stable? I'm like a rock. I take these glasses off, you can't tell the difference between me and a rock. I put these glasses on a rock. You know what jumps into most people's minds? Costanza!

SUSAN: People don't change.

GEORGE: I change I change. Two weeks ago I tried a soft boiled egg. Never liked it before. Now I'm dunkin a piece of toast in there and I'm loving it.

SUSAN: I'm not a soft boiled egg.

GEORGE: And I am not a piece of toast.

SUSAN: I just don't think we have anything in common.

GEORGE: That's okay. That's good. You think Louie Pasteur and his wife had anything in common? He was in the fields all day with the cows, you know with the milk, examining the milk, delving into milk, consummed with milk. Pasteurization, Homogenization, She was in the kitchen killing cockroaches with a boot on each hand.

SUSAN: Why were there so many cockroaches?

GEORGE: Because. There was a lot of cake lying around the house. Just sitting there going with all the excess milk from all the experiments [grins]

SUSAN: And they got along?

GEORGE: Yes! Yes. You know. She didn't know about Pasteurization. He didn't know anout Fumigation. But they made it work!

Big day for Seinfeld quotes on SJU boards today!

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
Listed as 6'6" 200.

He wouldn't have been backup anything.  He and Dom wold have been the twin towers in there for us. 

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »

Recruitment will move fast but I'd temper expectations for Cheick Diallo. His recruitment will take some time to unfold. A lot of ground needs to be made up there.

Damion Lee will definitely be a target and his family ties in the area will certainly help.

Other 5th year transfer guards will be targets. The bigs most likely will be JUCOs.

Goal is to win now and balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such.
Like the idea of trying to win now

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »

Recruitment will move fast but I'd temper expectations for Cheick Diallo. His recruitment will take some time to unfold. A lot of ground needs to be made up there.

Damion Lee will definitely be a target and his family ties in the area will certainly help.

Other 5th year transfer guards will be targets. The bigs most likely will be JUCOs.

Goal is to win now and balance out scholarship distribution. Coach A specializes in such.
Got to be in it, to win it...

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

Got to be in it, to win it...

It will be nice to see some creative recruiting around here.  Lavin did not embrace the transfer or JUCO game nearly enough when we had to watch Oregon St. and a few other schools making the tournament every year built on those guys--even locally with Iona.

If balance is important, we certainly have room in the junior and senior classes to add some immediately eligible recruits.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Grrat to hear about a recruit on board and Damion Lee.  Any smart staff knows they are better off winning now as well as balancing needs of future classes.  Immediate eligible players like Damion Lee and Angel Nunez, coupled with Jucos and some freshmen studs like Sampson, The Greek kid, or Diallo and things can get rolling quickly out the gate.  A guy like Damion Lee, an immediately eligible SF who averaged over 20ppg could pay huge dividends right away and not mess up any scholarship situations.  Gonna be exciting times for the foreseeable future...

desco80

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 11:23:39 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about any of the current players looking for a fresh start elsewhere?  Jones?  Felix? Stewart?
with any coaching change usually at least someone decides to go in a different direction

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 11:27:45 PM »

huh?

Idk
You were implying that you would give the scoop first on this recruit signing with us.
I'm just saying, I'd rather find out a day later and let this kid announce it on his own.    But I think you do that normally, rather than spoil the kids fun.

I don't think it spoils the kids fun that people who read this site know that they're coming here a day early. I appreciate getting the inside scoop from Dave and others and it's one of the main reasons I check this website daily.

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about any of the current players looking for a fresh start elsewhere?  Jones?  Felix? Stewart?
with any coaching change usually at least someone decides to go in a different direction

Just a guess, 2 of those 3 gone

desco80

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »

We may need bodies period, but frankly I don't know that we'd miss any of them. 
Adonis and Amar are the key returning role players, along w Chris and Rysheed if they're here.   Felix and Christian have had year after year to prove themselves.  Nothing suggests to me they are anything more than 10min per game type guys.

Stewart is still young and has a needed skill, so if we're keeping one I prefer it be him.  But he's also a west coast guy w ties to lavin.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »

Adonis and Amar are the key returning role players, along w Chris and Rysheed if they're here.   Felix and Christian have had year after year to prove themselves.  Nothing suggests to me they are anything more than 10min per game type guys.

Stewart is still young and has a needed skill, so if we're keeping one I prefer it be him.  But he's also a west coast guy w ties to lavin.

I suggested that Jones might bolt because it's clear that he doesn't play hard, but there are a lot of players who struggle their first 2 or even 3 years before we see what they can really do. A good example is Donald Emanuel. A great player by no means, but by his senior year, he had carved out an important role for himself.

Balamou and Jones have had such little success here, that it's hard to see them getting better, but stranger things have happened.

Gumby

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »

I suggested that Jones might bolt because it's clear that he doesn't play hard, but there are a lot of players who struggle their first 2 or even 3 years before we see what they can really do. A good example is Donald Emanuel. A great player by no means, but by his senior year, he had carved out an important role for himself.

Balamou and Jones have had such little success here, that it's hard to see them getting better, but stranger things have happened.

Is there a David Cain in that bunch?  I agree about C. Jones. He seems like a PF who does not rebound. Is that possible?

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 01:03:07 AM »
I'd have no issue with letting Jones, Limscomb, and Stewart walking.

Balamou, Amar, and Delarosas can hang. I think all Felix needs is some minutes. Those guys play hard.

As for Stewart I think he's a nice player but might be in his best interest to seek minutes elsewhere.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle