Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies

Poison

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 01:06:27 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about any of the current players looking for a fresh start elsewhere?  Jones?  Felix? Stewart?
with any coaching change usually at least someone decides to go in a different direction

Just a guess, 2 of those 3 gone

We may need bodies period, but frankly I don't know that we'd miss any of them. 
Adonis and Amar are the key returning role players, along w Chris and Rysheed if they're here.   Felix and Christian have had year after year to prove themselves.  Nothing suggests to me they are anything more than 10min per game type guys.

Stewart is still young and has a needed skill, so if we're keeping one I prefer it be him.  But he's also a west coast guy w ties to lavin.

I suggested that Jones might bolt because it's clear that he doesn't play hard, but there are a lot of players who struggle their first 2 or even 3 years before we see what they can really do. A good example is Donald Emanuel. A great player by no means, but by his senior year, he had carved out an important role for himself.

Balamou and Jones have had such little success here, that it's hard to see them getting better, but stranger things have happened.

Is there a David Cain in that bunch?  I agree about C. Jones. He seems like a PF who does not rebound. Is that possible?

If there is, I don't think it's Jones. Balamou is more likely. The guy gets after it, and we'll need players to set an example in practice.

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »

I suggested that Jones might bolt because it's clear that he doesn't play hard, but there are a lot of players who struggle their first 2 or even 3 years before we see what they can really do. A good example is Donald Emanuel. A great player by no means, but by his senior year, he had carved out an important role for himself.

You don't have to go so far back to find them: Dom - Phil

Poison

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:45 AM »

Except we kinda do in this case. Dom had moments. Not as many as we would have liked, but Jones and Balamou have done next to nothing in BE games. Dom at least got to play.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:31:23 AM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »
@EvanDaniels: Source tells Scout that Damion Lee, who averaged 21.4 points a game this year, received his release from Drexel on Tuesday.

desco80

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

Except we kinda do in this case. Dom had moments. Not as many as we would have liked, but Jones and Balamou have done next to nothing in BE games. Dom at least got to play.

+1

Felix and Jones have had tons of chances.   And they've barely contributed, if at all.

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
I'd have no issue with letting Jones, Limscomb, and Stewart walking.

Balamou, Amar, and Delarosas can hang. I think all Felix needs is some minutes. Those guys play hard.

As for Stewart I think he's a nice player but might be in his best interest to seek minutes elsewhere.

Dave is spot on here.  Jones, lipscomb and stewart are gonna struggle to find much OT if any here and it might be smarter for them to make marks at smaller programs.  I like Balamou and alibegovic.  Both can be at least role players at this level.  I saw quite a few nice things out of Alibegovic.  He likely will improve quite a bit over next few.  Delarosa's are big bodies.  Can't hurt to have one or two, and to see if adonis reaches some of his potential.  Other than that, we'd be better off with more scholarships to give out and see what we come up with via transfers, Jucos and freshman recruits. 

paultzman

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 10:24:06 AM »
I'd have no issue with letting Jones, Limscomb, and Stewart walking.

Balamou, Amar, and Delarosas can hang. I think all Felix needs is some minutes. Those guys play hard.

As for Stewart I think he's a nice player but might be in his best interest to seek minutes elsewhere.

Dave is spot on here.  Jones, lipscomb and stewart are gonna struggle to find much OT if any here and it might be smarter for them to make marks at smaller programs.  I like Balamou and alibegovic.  Both can be at least role players at this level.  I saw quite a few nice things out of Alibegovic.  He likely will improve quite a bit over next few.  Delarosa's are big bodies.  Can't hurt to have one or two, and to see if adonis reaches some of his potential.  Other than that, we'd be better off with more scholarships to give out and see what we come up with via transfers, Jucos and freshman recruits. 

And Chris Will get Adonis into reasonable shape & realize his potential.

sju89tr

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 10:25:06 AM »
I personally think the only guys (excluding the walkon's) that stay are Amar, Felix, Obekpa, and Jordan

Jones is in a tough spot because he already redshirted so in order to not lose a year he would have to go D2 or NAIA
Stewart could transfer and is definitely worthy of a D1 scholarship at a school like UC Irvine, Fullerton, etc. I would give him a ship at SJU. I like him
ADR I don't see him having a future here unless he just has a change of heart regarding what it takes to be an athlete at this level
Lipscombe is a walk on and will likely stay until he graduates and play his last year somewhere where he can get some minutes

We may be looking at filling up to 9 spots on the roster. I would like the staff to possibly add a few D1 transfers to play in the 16-17 season.   

Main thing at this point is start to look at getting this roster divided every 4 years so you are not looking to replace more than 4 kids in any one year

dR3w

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
Main thing at this point is start to look at getting this roster divided every 4 years so you are not looking to replace more than 4 kids in any one year

Sounds great, but talented kids will always leave early, and recreate the problem (as well as other defections).  The problem has to be addressed now, and then on a regular basis.  Just balancing the current scholarships won't stop it from happening again.  I'm sure you realize that.

sju89tr

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »

Sounds great, but talented kids will always leave early, and recreate the problem (as well as other defections).  The problem has to be addressed now, and then on a regular basis.  Just balancing the current scholarships won't stop it from happening again.  I'm sure you realize that.

Of course, but your roster should never be graduating like 5-6 guys with an early defection to boot.

dR3w

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »

Of course, but your roster should never be graduating like 5-6 guys with an early defection to boot.

Tell that to Calipari.  Stuff happens ... good coaches will deal with it, and be ready for it, not make it an excuse.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:44:40 AM by dR3w »

sju89tr

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »

Tell that to Calipari.  Stuff happens ... good coaches will deal with it, and be ready for it, not make it an excuse.

Calipari is at  a different level than almost everyone else. I can't even think of having this staff replicate his model.

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »

Uderstood but as dR3w pointed out sometimes things are unforseen.  Look at Louisville, inluding transfers and graduating kids and kickingkids off the team (Chris Jones) and kids leaving early will lose 6-7 this year easy.  Pitino didn't plan that.

You can kill Lavin for a number of things but his plan was never to have as many holes as he had this year.  Two kids left early over the last 3 years (who were not projected as 1 and done or 2 and done), 2 kids initially cleared and then were declared ineigible and more importantly he failed to land key recruits who he targeted over the last two years(Briscoe being 1 big one).  You want to claim he did not put in the work to close on some of these kids, fair point and that is on him.  But trust me his plan was not to have those holes.  Sometimes situations take on a life of their own and are not necessarily in your control.

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
If you start with a 10 man class, it is not far-fetched to have 4 of them graduate together.  Granted, Branch transferred in, but he ended up in the same class after sitting out..

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
Lavin swung for the fences and missed a bunch of times. The real issue is that he did not have any options or back up plans if he missed or of people left. It would have been real interesting if he would have lost in the first round this year but had a stacked class for next year comming in.

Dissapointment happens in one and done tournaments, but to follow that up with a team that needed to be rebuilt is not good. The only thing Lavin seemed to offer was trust me I'll fix it without tangible results wasn't good either.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Very happy we have a new coach. But the old coach wasn't such an idiot and the new coach won't be able to work miracles. Adonis out of shape is almost all his fault. Not even sure if their is a strength coach at the school, if there is he should get some of the blame. If Adonis gets into shape. almost 100 of the praise should be his.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »

Uderstood but as dR3w pointed out sometimes things are unforseen.  Look at Louisville, inluding transfers and graduating kids and kickingkids off the team (Chris Jones) and kids leaving early will lose 6-7 this year easy.  Pitino didn't plan that.

You can kill Lavin for a number of things but his plan was never to have as many holes as he had this year.  Two kids left early over the last 3 years (who were not projected as 1 and done or 2 and done), 2 kids initially cleared and then were declared ineigible and more importantly he failed to land key recruits who he targeted over the last two years(Briscoe being 1 big one).  You want to claim he did not put in the work to close on some of these kids, fair point and that is on him.  But trust me his plan was not to have those holes.  Sometimes situations take on a life of their own and are not necessarily in your control.

So his plan wasn't to fail?       Tell me more.

MCNPA

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
No doubt it wasn't Lavin's intent, but he cast a very narrow net when recruiting, which is to his own admission.   Lavin was putting too many eggs into one basket.  We whiffed and he was quite laissez faire in his approach to having a backup plan, or rather having none.  It took a toll in a few short years, when we should have been reloading in 2014 and 15' classes.  Instead we fizzled on the recruiting trail. 

I think a smarter approach to recruiting is needed.  Balancing the classes is an art that I think the new staff will have an idea how to do.  Chris has a keen eye for basketball, so I don't see him and his staff loading up for one recruit for months and have no other pokers in the fire.  It is as much Lavin's approach to this as anything else.   Under Lavin it was the first option or bust.  By the time it busted, other options were all gone.  Simply need to be smarter and more dilligent. 

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 02:43:23 PM »

+1

Felix and Jones have had tons of chances.   And they've barely contributed, if at all.

Jones and Balamou should not be lumped together.  Jones doesn't play hard and Balamou plays as hard as anyone.  He played behind four seniors--two of them all-Big East selections--and a former five-star recruit.  He clearly wasn't comfortable out there with the sporadic minutes.  The potential is still there, and at the very least, the guy give you all he has when his # is called.  Jones is a SG trapped in a PF's body...he has no nose for the ball or desire to get it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:44:54 PM by Marillac »

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
Just a FYI on Josh Cunningham

@TravisHines21: Josh Cunningham, who ISU (Abdelmassih at point) recruited out of HS, is transferring from Bradley, per @michaelsobrien. Name to watch.