Recruiting Outlook

• 150 replies

desco80

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
We need Rysheed back if we want any hope of going to the ncaas again.  Point guards don't grow on trees, and he'd be among the best in the conference if he returned.

Honestly, I think he could strive in a Mullin system.  Assuming we play a pro style, Rysheed has the best court vision on the team, can make those cross court passes, and runs the pick n roll well. 

My gut tells me it's a long shot, but we'll see.

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »
We need Rysheed back if we want any hope of going to the ncaas again.  Point guards don't grow on trees, and he'd be among the best in the conference if he returned.

Honestly, I think he could strive in a Mullin system.  Assuming we play a pro style, Rysheed has the best court vision on the team, can make those cross court passes, and runs the pick n roll well. 

Dead on. 

sju89tr

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 10:25:17 PM »
What's the word on Jordan and Obekpa? I think getting a feel for what they are going to do is going to set the strategy on how Mullin and staff recruit. Unless Mullin doesn't want them for whatever reason.

jordan not being there today speaks volumes.  he doesn't care.

Exactly and it's a slap in the face to Mullin and the University.

Chris M said students are on break and Jordan isn't on campus. I would imagine he is back home in Philly so in this instance let's give the kid a break.

Agreed.  Let's stop bashing the kid.  He's got to sort things out and there will be a time and place when he and Coach will talk.

There is no need to insinuate anything.  This was a great day for SJU and more to follow.
I saw Henderson was also home  in Orlando, so we can't conclude anything. Mullin seemed sincere about wanting to meet with Jordan, noting how talented he was. We'll see, but you are right. This has been a great day & beginning.

Stewart was in LA and Jones was off campus too I believe

I guess it's spring break

desco80

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
Marillac correctly pointed out that spring break begins tomorrow(Thursday) so, many students had already left campus. 

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »

But is he a point guard or even close to one?  He hasn't been the past two seasons.  Don't get me wrong, I want him back, but establishing a winning culture has already started and no coach can ever let one guy jeopardize that...it's a slippery slope.
He needs to be all in or it won't work.  His games won't cut it with Mullin at the helm. 

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
Easter Break dudes calm down.

desco80

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2015, 10:49:04 PM »

But is he a point guard or even close to one?  He hasn't been the past two seasons.  Don't get me wrong, I want him back, but establishing a winning culture has already started and no coach can ever let one guy jeopardize that...it's a slippery slope.
He needs to be all in or it won't work.  His games won't cut it with Mullin at the helm.

He hasn't been asked to play like a true point yet, I agree.  But he hasn't shown he's selfish with the ball really.  Maybe a few I'll advised shots, but that's correctable.

It's the head games, trips homes, aversion to games at CA etc that concern me.  I think he can play the position fine, it's the other stuff you alluded to. 

I will give Rysheed credit though, I thought he did a better job than anyone on the team at leading Obekpa with easy passes on pick n rolls. None of our other ball handlers even looked for chris.

redslope

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »
I was there-today was a school day. D'Angelo Hall was full.  If women softball and volleyball players could show up to hear the new coach, those that want to play for him could show up.  CO showed up despite the embarrassment he caused, like the prodigal son he can be forgiven if he understands.  Chris wants kids who understand the importance of practice--Sheed has to show he understands and then demonstrates that he gets it.  If he does not, there is always Amtrak out of town as he will not fit in with the program which is more important than the individual.  That said I hope Sheed gets it as I think he has great potential that I would hate to see unrealized

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »
I was there-today was a school day. D'Angelo Hall was full.  If women softball and volleyball players could show up to hear the new coach, those that want to play for him could show up.  CO showed up despite the embarrassment he caused, like the prodigal son he can be forgiven if he understands.  Chris wants kids who understand the importance of practice--Sheed has to show he understands and then demonstrates that he gets it.  If he does not, there is always Amtrak out of town as he will not fit in with the program which is more important than the individual.  That said I hope Sheed gets it as I think he has great potential that I would hate to see unrealized

There was school, but not everyone has the same class schedule so Jordan might have gone home 1-2 days ago. I'm not going to bash a kid without all of the facts.

It's a shame that more students didn't go to the press conference. Was an okay turn out (for short notice) but most other schools would have had a packed house.

Poison

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2015, 07:54:34 AM »

There was school, but not everyone has the same class schedule so Jordan might have gone home 1-2 days ago. I'm not going to bash a kid without all of the facts.

It's a shame that more students didn't go to the press conference. Was an okay turn out (for short notice) but most other schools would have had a packed house.

It's a shame that St.John's students have zero school pride. That's what other schools have that St.John's doesn't have. Their students really are different. It's too bad they can't hire that.

desco80

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »

It's a shame that St.John's students have zero school pride. That's what other schools have that St.John's doesn't have. Their students really are different. It's too bad they can't hire that.

This is true.
For a long time, I could understand the apathy.   The Norm years were rough.
But the team was exciting and competitive under Lavin.  Student support should be better.   We're not a cellar dweller anymore.

And the school has ponied up the money for two headline coaches in a row now.   The school is doing their part.
Honestly, the school needs to start giving out student tickets more easily.   Place should be packed with students.   And schedule games according to the class schedule.
If we're going to play CW Post or Eastern Idaho why does it have to be on a Friday night on Thanksgiving break?     
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:23:15 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »

This is true.
For a long time, I could understand the apathy.   The Norm years were rough.
But the team was exciting and competitive under Lavin.  Student support should be better.   We're not a cellar dweller anymore.

And the school has ponied up the money for two headline coaches in a row now.   The school is doing their part.
Honestly, the school needs to start giving out student tickets more easily.   Place should be packed with students.   And schedule games according to the class schedule.
If we're going to play CW Post or Eastern Idaho why does it have to be on a Friday night on Thanksgiving break?   

Agree. An event like yesterday was free so the money issue excuse is out the window. Maybe if they gave out free t-shirts more students would have showed up.

Johnny23

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »

Jordan's handle is garbage. He gets the ball picked way too often when bringing it up the court and directing the offense. The one thing Jordan had going for him at the end of this past season was his outside shot. He was unconscious from outside late in the season. He's also a good driver but there is no way Jordan makes the NBA as a PG. I'm sure Mullin will be targeting at least one PG in this cycle, if not more.

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
just figured out Paultzman's avatar so that should brighten the outlook.

desco80

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »

Who is it now?

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »

Would love him to return next season but agree its hard to understand how he wasn't there yesterday.

Who is it?

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »

Would love him to return next season but agree its hard to understand how he wasn't there yesterday.

Who is it?
Looks like some memorial of sorts, flag and flower on it

MCNPA

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

Who is it?

Not sure what avatar you're looking at.  Paultzman has a ball player on there.  Not hard to figure out with some google help.  Very good player that would suit us well right away.  Not a guard and would help distribute our scholarships.

Tha Kid

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »

Who is it?

Not sure what avatar you're looking at.  Paultzman has a ball player on there.  Not hard to figure out with some google help.  Very good player that would suit us well right away.  Not a guard and would help distribute our scholarships.

You are late to the game on this MCN - was discussed either yesterday or the day before that it's Darien Williams. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »

Who is it?

Named?  ;)