How was the press conference?

• 14 replies
How was the press conference?
« on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
I was flying to Indy and missed it. Who was there? Could you watch from home? What was said? Who got chills?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

hnk

Re: How was the press conference?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:25 PM »
Fox Sports 1 ...ran the whole thing.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »
On YouTube. Watch for urself. You will have no doubt that good things are coming.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:38 PM »
One of the best new coach press conferences I've ever seen. Felt as if this was the first coach Louie was proud to pass the torch to when he gave him that card. President was smart with the way he dodged the budget questions and came off well. Mullin sounded excited and passionate as ever. He also seemed much more in charge than expected. Some of my "problems" like what players he is looking for and about Obekpa and Rysheed were answered in Q/A with the media after this. Couldn't have gone any better. Was just amazing and gave me great feelings about the future.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:55:01 PM by Save The Hero »

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:50:45 PM »
Really enjoyed it and feel pumped up. Loved the line about knowing where all the gyms are in the city and will be at all of them.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
It was really awesome. Actually being there you could sense the excitement amongst both the fans and the media. I couldn't help but feel big things were on the horizon.... But I also felt the same way when Lavin was hired so take that with a grain of salt....

ras

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »
One of the best new coach press conferences I've ever seen. Felt as if this was the first coach Louie was proud to pass the torch to when he gave him that card. President was smart with the way he dodged the budget questions and came off well. Mullin sounded excited and passionate as ever. He also seemed much more in charge than expected. Some of my "problems" like what players he is looking for and about Obekpa and Rysheed were answered in Q/A. Couldn't have gone any better. Was just amazing and gave me great feelings about the future.

What did he say about Sheed,CO?

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
One of the best new coach press conferences I've ever seen. Felt as if this was the first coach Louie was proud to pass the torch to when he gave him that card. President was smart with the way he dodged the budget questions and came off well. Mullin sounded excited and passionate as ever. He also seemed much more in charge than expected. Some of my "problems" like what players he is looking for and about Obekpa and Rysheed were answered in Q/A. Couldn't have gone any better. Was just amazing and gave me great feelings about the future.

What did he say about Sheed,CO?

I believe he said he saw CO, but not Sheed today and would like to see them both.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »

Excerpts from the beginning of Chris' talk (best to hear him tell it):

"St. John's has meant so much to me and my family, and when that opportunity was presented to me, I couldn't turn it down.  I feel obligated to give back, I am going to work hard to be the best basketball coach I can be, and win as many games as possible...I am going to try an win every single game, you can guarantee that.  But as important is my role to be a mentor and role model to our players.  I met some guys earlier in the locker room, and told them of my expectations.  St. john's University has tremendous history and tradition, it's not just a jersey that's handed to you, you have to earn it...

There's also expectations of our basketball players, on and off the court; I am going to get a team with a bunch of players we're all going to be proud of, win, lose or draw; the way they win, the way they lose, is going to be first class...Dedication is going to be the #1 priority.  we're going to be the fittest team in the country, no doubt about that - we're going to play our tails off, I can guarantee you that.

The opportunity that I see for the university to grow, not only on the basketball [court], throughout the world really. I think it's a great school, we have a diverse student base, I look forward to being part of that.  I told the guys today that it is important how they conduct themselves with their own students, with their professors, and that's going to be something I emphasize each and every day."

Worth checking out - definitely got me pumped.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

redslope

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
great day--the numbers in attendance surprised me for an early midweek afternoon--est. 1,500.  Louie wonderful at 90 and extremely happy.   Number of standing ovations.  Chris has really electrified the town.  On way home, he was the first topic on the Michael Kay show.  Then we sat in Whole Food parking lot listening to Chris with Mike F before shopping/  Now #1 story on Sports on 1.  Chris started generating publicity for SJU today as he is beloved by the media and the city.  He also started generated revenue as I noticed a number of fans born after he played buying #20 replicas.  Great number of former players there.

Chris promised an NBA style team; realizes importance of 3 pointer as a weapon and to defend against.  We will be the fittest team--Adonis in the house and could only reach his potential if he is willing to heed Coach Chris.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:06:58 AM »
The AD was less tan then ever before.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
The AD was less tan then ever before.

Maybe he knows that he's next and he is white as a ghost...For him...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »

Lasted an hour. Thirty camera crews. National press. About 1200 people   About 35 former players including Alagia, Johnson, Berry, others. Mullin was extremely poised. Great speech. Handled press well. Knew each reporters name and used it in his answers. Guaranteed no team would work as hard and that we would be best conditioned team in country. Intends to play up tempo. Referenced GS playbook for team that averaged 118 pts a game. Aggressive defense. Pro style. Intends to recruit Ny and NJ heavily. Described what he would pitch to new recruits. His knowledge and contacts to get to next level but also the need to develop character so the ones who don't make nba can get jobs in coaching, administration, announcing etc   Said recruiting started already. Introduced Abdel as best recruiter in country. Said he had talked to Kerr, Jackson, Bird and other players who became coaches and all advised how important having proper staff and he was putting one in place. He met with our players today and outlined what he expected and would offer. Did not mention Sheed or Obedpka   Gempshaw was asked if Mullin budget was greater than Lavins but he ducked , talking instead about he had read somewhere that Chris would increase season tix sale by 3m   Gempesaw did praise and thank Lavin for returning the program to respectability. Lots of energy and excitement in the building. I was most  impressed by mullin's star quality. Imposing presence and articulate. I think he will be a great recruiter. Worth the trip to Jamsica.

Sent from my iPhone

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 10:17:35 AM »
The news conference was electric.  So was Lavin's and for the Knick's, Phil Jackson.  Looking beyond the accolades for "news", I heard Mullin promise his players will be in shape...they'll enjoy practices...they'll be shown how to get to the next level, including the NBA in non-player roles if they fall short otherwise...he'll recruit NYC relentlessly...and above all, he'll hire a great staff.

Mullin means business.  I think he can do it!