Starting 5 ---2015/16?

• 160 replies

TONYD3

Re: Starting 5 ---2015/16?
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
Mussini was playing against the best guards in the country in the all star game. I think he did alright considering. His defensive match-up would be easier in the big east.

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2015, 08:18:13 PM »
Mussini was playing against the best guards in the country in the all star game. I think he did alright considering. His defensive match-up would be easier in the big east.

His defensive matchup would be easier in the big east? How so?

TONYD3

« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »
He would play the weakest guy. Marquette, Creighton, and Butler don't have all americans.

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »

Think he is saying he wouldn't be going up against top 10-20 talent at the pg position every game.

« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »

Think he is saying he wouldn't be going up against top 10-20 talent at the pg position every game.

Big East isn't High School

« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »

Correct. It isn't an All-Star game either.

TONYD3

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »
Mussini will get bigger and stronger also. I only saw a few minutes of the game. From what I saw he competed and held his own

Poison

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2015, 12:50:22 AM »

It's not an all star game, but it is significantly more difficult to play against a defense that has prepared for months than one made up of children who in just about every case, don't even understand what it means to play defense.

Poison

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2015, 12:51:37 AM »
Mussini will get bigger and stronger also. I only saw a few minutes of the game. From what I saw he competed and held his own

If this kid is considering going pro and he's not even close to being an nba draft pick, isn't it entirely possible that he's Marco Bourgault? In Europe, that guy is a pro.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:52:32 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:27 AM »

But let's be honest, other than Brunson the Big East doesn't have that type of talent heading in.   Look at the last few drafts and the projected drafts the next few years...ugly.  Dunn is the one saving grace and he committed when the old Big East was intact. The past tournament and watching Nova get so badly outdone by a superior athletic team left no doubt in my mind that the Big East needs to really raise the level of physical talent in the conference.  Forget Kentucky, freaking LSU has more NBA talent on their team this season that our entire conference combined. 

TONYD3

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »
I only watched about 20 minutes of that game. I was in an airport . But those USA guards were very good. They were big, strong, and fast.

wpc77

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:46 AM »
Mussini's handlers/family are not dumb.  They know he could get exposed on defense against bigger more athletic guards. If he's at Zaga or Davidson, he gets more time to develop over the years because the in-conference opponents will be less challenging athletically.  That's definitely a factor.

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
Mussini's handlers/family are not dumb.  They know he could get exposed on defense against bigger more athletic guards. If he's at Zaga or Davidson, he gets more time to develop over the years because the in-conference opponents will be less challenging athletically.  That's definitely a factor.

That works both ways because those players that play at those conferences rarely get drafted and get NBA contracts because they don't play against high level talent.  Exceptions being guys like Curry but they demonstrated in deep NCAA runs that he could play against the best.

So they are aware of both.  If you go to a level that you think you can excel at but is below top level then you will need to cover a lot more ground if you ever think you can get drafted.

wpc77

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

That works both ways because those players that play at those conferences rarely get drafted and get NBA contracts because they don't play against high level talent.  Exceptions being guys like Curry but they demonstrated in deep NCAA runs that he could play against the best.

So they are aware of both.  If you go to a level that you think you can excel at but is below top level then you will need to cover a lot more ground if you ever think you can get drafted.

List of Zaga players in the NBA:

Kelly Olynyk (1st round)
Robert Sacre (2nd round)
Austin Daye (1st round)
David Stockton (undrafted)

List of SJU players in NBA players:

Mo Harkless (1st round)
Jakar Sampson (undrafted)

Zaga has had 8 players drafted since 2002.  SJU has had one.

I agree with your general comment about schools on that "mid level" tier, but our main competition of Mussini, Zaga, has an excellent coach that regularly places kids in the NBA.  Mussini can get the benefit of the lower compeition level, which will give him room to grow, with perhaps a strong chance to get in the pros.

All that said, the factors in SJU's favor are the style of play that Mullin wants to run (which I hazard to guess, as did Baldi, will be similar to Brey this past year at ND, which favors smart, sharp-shooting 1s, 2s and 3s) and Mullin's NBA background.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:38:52 AM by wpc77 »

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »

But let's be honest, other than Brunson the Big East doesn't have that type of talent heading in.   Look at the last few drafts and the projected drafts the next few years...ugly.  Dunn is the one saving grace and he committed when the old Big East was intact. The past tournament and watching Nova get so badly outdone by a superior athletic team left no doubt in my mind that the Big East needs to really raise the level of physical talent in the conference.  Forget Kentucky, freaking LSU has more NBA talent on their team this season that our entire conference combined.

My only point was that I wouldn't judge Mussini watching one game especially when that game involved some of the best guards entering college next year. If the staff think they can work with him, that's good enough for me. He would probably be the best shooter on next years team.

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »
Sam Vecenie of CBS was raving about him on Twitter while watching the practices leading up to that game. When asked, he said he would rate him in the 30-60 range for the 2015 class.

If he winds up somewhere in between that assessment and Fran's take, he is a solid addition for a team needing both a PG and perimeter offense. 

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
The other factor in our favor is that it is a much shorter and cheaper trip home to Italy when you start in NYC., and not the west coast.

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »

Kelly Olynyk (1st round)
Robert Sacre (2nd round)
Austin Daye (1st round)

Mo Harkless (1st round)

I agree with your general comment about schools on that "mid level" tier, but our main competition of Mussini, Zaga, has an excellent coach that regularly places kids in the NBA.  Mussini can get the benefit of the lower compeition level, which will give him room to grow, with perhaps a strong chance to get in the pros.

All that said, the factors in SJU's favor are the style of play that Mullin wants to run (which I hazard to guess, as did Baldi, will be similar to Brey this past year at ND, which favors smart, sharp-shooting 1s, 2s and 3s) and Mullin's NBA background.

Duh and Gonzaga plays a NATIONAL schedule including Arizona and UCLA the type of teams that would expose low level players...or is he going to sit out those games.  In addition they play in the NCAA's every year.  They are an outlier.

Do you really think he goes to Gonzaga because they play San Francisco?  He goes to Gonzaga because despite the lack of depth in their conference they play a NATIONAL big time schedule.  You don't get a #2 seed by just beating San Francisco every year.

Nobody in that conference plays the type of non-conference teams that Gonzaga does.  That's because Gonzaga is identified more for the power of that program then what conference they play in.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:59:16 PM by fordham96 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »

Kelly Olynyk (1st round)
Robert Sacre (2nd round)
Austin Daye (1st round)

Mo Harkless (1st round)

Duh and Gonzaga plays a NATIONAL schedule including Arizona and UCLA the type of teams that would expose low level players...or is he going to sit out those games.  In addition they play in the NCAA's every year.  They are an outlier.

Do you really think he goes to Gonzaga because they play San Francisco?  He goes to Gonzaga because despite the lack of depth in their conference they play a NATIONAL big time schedule.  You don't get a #2 seed by just beating San Francisco every year.

Nobody in that conference plays the type of non-conference teams that Gonzaga does.  That's because Gonzaga is identified more for the power of that program then what conference they play in.

Fordham have you ever once in your life admitted that you didn't consider all angles before commenting? It's always been zaga or Davidson or johnnies.  Your post Definitely implied you were referring to both zaga and Davidson.  If you meant just Davidson, a mere correction that you should have been more clear would have sufficed rather than an obnoxious post attemptig to belittle another poster. 

You often provide great insight and posts.  The belittling of others gets old especially in this exciting time of St. John's bball.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:10:54 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

wpc77

« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »

Kelly Olynyk (1st round)
Robert Sacre (2nd round)
Austin Daye (1st round)

Mo Harkless (1st round)

I made a valid arguement as part of a discussion on the topic, in response to valid points that you have as well.  If you graduated Fordham in 1996, that implies you are likely 41, which is astounding given your level of discourse.  Please try toning it down
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:47:12 AM by wpc77 »