Mustapha Heron - Auburn Transfer - ST. JOHN’S

• 289 replies
Re: Mustapha Heron - 6'4'' SG, Waterbury CT
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 12:30:59 PM »
Honestly this won't be popular but I'd gladly take this commitment and move on from Rawle.  Looks like Rawle wants to drag things out and him and Heron are pretty much the same player to me just lefty and righty versions.

As of right now we will lose Chris, Sheed (likely), Ron, and maybe more depending on other additions so 3 focuses on 16 IMO should be a PG and big man in addition to Heron.

So there's a legit recruit 10 minutes away from campus that is showing interest in us and you want to move on from him already? Come on

Yeah.  But tell Arbs I said hi :)

Arbs' issues came with the last staff, not this one. Get over it already

No issues here but you always come to CTK defense.  I expressed an opinion that I would move after getting one commitment.  Will gladly discuss over PMs as not to digress from Heron thread.

Stop trolling Moose

Moose

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »
Honestly this won't be popular but I'd gladly take this commitment and move on from Rawle.  Looks like Rawle wants to drag things out and him and Heron are pretty much the same player to me just lefty and righty versions.

As of right now we will lose Chris, Sheed (likely), Ron, and maybe more depending on other additions so 3 focuses on 16 IMO should be a PG and big man in addition to Heron.

So there's a legit recruit 10 minutes away from campus that is showing interest in us and you want to move on from him already? Come on

Yeah.  But tell Arbs I said hi :)

Arbs' issues came with the last staff, not this one. Get over it already

No issues here but you always come to CTK defense.  I expressed an opinion that I would move after getting one commitment.  Will gladly discuss over PMs as not to digress from Heron thread.

Stop trolling Moose

We're tag team partners.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
I don't disagree with Moose on this.  Very similar to Rawle.  Need to continue recruiting Rawle, but I'd be just as happy if we landed Heron and move on to other positions.  Heron is a beast of a player and would be a big prize for us.

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
Let's get both

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »

I am back in the Rawle camp.  I didn't realize how smart the kid was until I heard him give an interview.  I just assumed he was like Paul Harris based on his build and game.  Not at all.

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2015, 05:17:21 PM »
I don't disagree with Moose on this.  Very similar to Rawle.  Need to continue recruiting Rawle, but I'd be just as happy if we landed Heron and move on to other positions.  Heron is a beast of a player and would be a big prize for us.

I'm somewhat in the same boat.  Don't get me wrong, as I'd certainly take both Alkins and Heron, if he ended up working out in that manner.  But if we were to receive a commitment from Heron, then I don't know if I'd go full throttle after Alkins.  Continue to recruit him, as MCN mentioned, but particular focus on other positions.  Alkins also is openly pining for a UNC offer.  UNC is still a solid program, but I can't recall the last time I've known someone to openly mention UNC to recruit 'em.     

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
Matt Jessen-Howard
‏@mjessenhoward
Mustapha Heron listed Cincinnati, Pitt, St. John's, UCLA, and UConn as the schools recruiting him the hardest.

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
Since backing away from his commitment to Pitt in April, Heron's phone has been burning up. He's heard from the likes of Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Cincinnati, Texas, Connecticut, Maryland and St. John's among others.

"Sometime in the next few weeks I think we'll look to cut things down and maybe set some visits," said Heron. "As far as a decision goes, it will probably be before my senior season."

Heron says that Pitt is very much under consideration. Also, he has heard the rumblings that many consider St. John's the team to beat because of the relationship between his father and Red Storm assistant Barry Rohrssen. Heron's father played professionally overseas with Rohrssen and Rohrssen was on staff at Pitt when Heron made his initial commitment.

"As of right now it is people making assumptions," said Heron. "Of course the relationship plays a big role in it. But I have to go somewhere that is best for me. It might be the best fit, it might not be the best fit for me I just have to weigh things out."

https://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1763877

PIB

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »
I'll take it.

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2015, 07:44:48 PM »
I'll take it.

Agree.  He's basically saying that slice is and will play a huge role, but he still has to check OT out first.  Thats all good.  I'm sure by the end of the say that having Slice here as well as a starting spot, A dream teamer shooting guard as head coach and all the other things we have to offer will win out. 

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »
I'll take it.

Agree.  He's basically saying that slice is and will play a huge role, but he still has to check OT out first.  Thats all good.  I'm sure by the end of the say that having Slice here as well as a starting spot, A dream teamer shooting guard as head coach and all the other things we have to offer will win out. 
Agree

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
UCONN Rivals site has a follow up interview with Heron and Heron's father on his recruitment:

"UConn is on my list being a local kid," said Heron, who has received an offer from the Huskies and is good friends with future Husky Steve Enoch from the Class of 2015. Enoch and Heron's relationship dates back to their youth basketball days.

Heron, who took his first visit to Storrs in eighth grade, said he has spoken with UConn coach Kevin Ollie several times.

"I've talked to him, he's a good guy," he said.

Also in the hunt for Heron's services are Cincinnati, Kentucky, Texas, St. John's, Michigan State, Duke and North Carolina - the latter having upped its pursuit in recent weeks. Pittsburgh has also been rumored to remain in the mix.

Even though dad was not a major recruit coming out of high school, he does have plenty of college connections, among them Mick Cronin and assists Larry Davis at Cincinnati and St. John's assistant Barry Rohrssen, who played with Bryan Heron overseas.

"I've talked to some friends, see what they are saying," he said. "UConn is definitely on his list."

Before making a decision, Heron plans to take all five official visits, which have not been finalized, and perhaps a few unofficial as well.

"I'll make a decision before next season," he said.

https://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1764278

Wods317

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 08:08:18 PM »
Everybody seem to think this was a slam dunk a few weeks ago. Still the case or more up in the air now?

MCNPA

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
Everybody seem to think this was a slam dunk a few weeks ago. Still the case or more up in the air now?

He's gonna make a decision in the next few months.  I still think that Slice is all over this and we have all the goods to offer including playing time and a hall of fame coach who played his position.  Just a gut feeling but I think we are in good shape.

sju89tr

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
Let this stuff play out before anyone jumps to conclusions. The staff has time now to work on these 16 and beyond kids diligently.   

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2015, 10:43:32 AM »
I fully expect this to be drawn out circus
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
Let this stuff play out before anyone jumps to conclusions. The staff has time now to work on these 16 and beyond kids diligently.

Jump to conclusions? 79 and Fordham both said he was ours so not getting from out of nowhere. Seems like he's very open and we are just one of a few options.

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
ruh-oh. At least it's only for 4 months- lol

https://youtu.be/S4fiueMzLeE
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:23:07 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2015, 01:30:15 AM »

That's what, 90% of the recruits?