Roster updates

• 244 replies

Marillac

Re: Roster updates
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.

He signed like two weeks before the season started. He was completely unprepared for the speed at this level.  He has a whole summer+ to go over his tape and work on his weaknesses, knowing full well what to expect.

I know some of you will respond that I wrote off Jones the same way, but I did that because  of his lack of toughness, ow feet, and absolutely no nose for the ball.

Look at my posts when we signed Amar.  I didn't like it...hated the description of a four that shoots threes.  Then  I as him play and the kid is a brawler.  He doesn't neglect his big man duties.  He straightup bullied Jalen Reynolds in our second win over X.  The same Jalen Reynolds that looked like Wilt Chamberlain against Sampson and Sanchez.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:36:34 AM by Marillac »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
There is no denying Amar looked bad last year. A step slow, clueless on defense, was touted as a good shooter but seemingly never hit an outside shot etc. I know he was a freshman but I didn't see much I liked about him.  With that being said his coach was Steve Lavin so I'm willing to give him a pass and see what he can do and if he can develop under coach Mullin.

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
I agree that maybe under mullin he could become useful. I get that he was a freshman and all but usually you see some talent or positives that could be built upon. I saw none. What did he do well? Foul? If he caught the ball within 5 feet of the hope he couldn't even get a shot off without being blocked, that's embarrassing. There are tons of other "projects" I'd rather have over him. I'm not saying get rid of him, but if you are depending on him to mean something to this roster then it is a problem

LoganK

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2015, 02:16:13 PM »
I agree that maybe under mullin he could become useful. I get that he was a freshman and all but usually you see some talent or positives that could be built upon. I saw none. What did he do well? Foul? If he caught the ball within 5 feet of the hope he couldn't even get a shot off without being blocked, that's embarrassing. There are tons of other "projects" I'd rather have over him. I'm not saying get rid of him, but if you are depending on him to mean something to this roster then it is a problem
He can definitely rebound.  The stroke looked good despite being 1-9 from 3 or whatever it was.  He seemed to give max effort (which, sadly, isn't guaranteed from all players).
He looked a step behind defensively, though I think that's more a matter of youth and unfamiliarity rather than speed.  Also doesn't know how to correctly challenge a shot underneath the basket.  Overall he was overwhelmed defensively, but that can change through repetition and coaching.
While I don't expect him to be a star, I except him to be an effective part of the 7/8 man rotation by his Junior or Senior year.

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
He can definitely rebound.  The stroke looked good despite being 1-9 from 3 or whatever it was.  He seemed to give max effort (which, sadly, isn't guaranteed from all players).
He looked a step behind defensively, though I think that's more a matter of youth and unfamiliarity rather than speed.  Also doesn't know how to correctly challenge a shot underneath the basket.  Overall he was overwhelmed defensively, but that can change through repetition and coaching.
While I don't expect him to be a star, I except him to be an effective part of the 7/8 man rotation by his Junior or Senior year.

I think there is good chance he'll be first big off the bench this year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »

If we get Diallo, I think Amar should redshirt

sju89tr

« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »

If we get Diallo, I think Amar should redshirt

In my opinion only Freshman should redshirt unless it's an injury situation.

He may still be the first big off bench right now 

« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the redshirt.  It is a wasted scholarship.  Unless you are projecting that a kid is gonna be something special in his fifth year, what does it accomplish?  And if a kid has something special, why does it take until year 5 to show up?

Obviously, a medical redshirt is a different story.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:49:31 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the redshirt.  It is a wasted scholarship.  Unless you are projecting that a kid is gonna be something special in his fifth year, what does it accomplish?  And if a kid has something special, why does it take until year 5 to show up?

He has a cousin

TONYD3

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
Only reason players should redshirt if it helps the team. We needed gift to play. Redshirt hurt us that year. We can find another amar. No reason to play short this year.

« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »
I do agree he was max effort, and could rebound a bit. But I don't know why everyone is saying he's such a great shooter. Where? In practice? He was awful from the arc and a terrible free throw shooter. But I do hope with each year under his belt he can grow under mullin and be serviceable

LoganK

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
I do agree he was max effort, and could rebound a bit. But I don't know why everyone is saying he's such a great shooter. Where? In practice? He was awful from the arc and a terrible free throw shooter. But I do hope with each year under his belt he can grow under mullin and be serviceable
The form he showed on his jump shot looked like that of a shooter.  Basically, if he and Pointer were shooting a three and you could not see whether or not the ball was going in, you would assume Amar's would go in more than Pointer's.  Now you're right in that he had poor results, but I think that was more due to nerves and a small sample size.  Who knows though, maybe they'll never fall.  As you said, we can hope, though.

TONYD3

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
Mar
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.

He signed like two weeks before the season started. He was completely unprepared for the speed at this level.  He has a whole summer+ to go over his tape and work on his weaknesses, knowing full well what to expect.

I know some of you will respond that I wrote off Jones the same way, but I did that because  of his lack of toughness, ow feet, and absolutely no nose for the ball.

Look at my posts when we signed Amar.  I didn't like it...hated the description of a four that shoots threes.  Then  I as him play and the kid is a brawler.  He doesn't neglect his big man duties.  He straightup bullied Jalen Reynolds in our second win over X.  The same Jalen Reynolds that looked like Wilt Chamberlain against Sampson and Sanchez.
How can you like amar and hate Sanchez? Neither can play defense, if amar improved amazingly he would be as good as Sanchez

Poison

« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »
Mar

How can you like amar and hate Sanchez? Neither can play defense, if amar improved amazingly he would be as good as Sanchez

There is no comparison between Amar and Sanchez skill wise, but Sanchez for all the hype came with baggage that no one was prepared for. I'm not even talking about the eligibility situation. He was fantastic against Fordham, but against the good teams, he wasn't quick enough to play his game. The sad thing is that he probably once was. Amar has upside, but he's incredibly raw. He needs extensive practice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:39:19 PM by Poison »

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2015, 11:48:49 PM »
Sanchez was also like 13 years older than Amar

Marillac

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
Mar

Good question.  They are two very different players to me.  Sanchez, had tons of skill but he didn't embrace this role as a big man and he didn't have an edge to him.   Amar is not as skilled as Sanchez, but he's a warrior and very competitive.  He does not disregard his big man duties at all.

Sanchez got owned by everyone physically...it was like he was wearing ice skates.  He got backed down routinely and had to go for the last second block.   He was a finesse player.

Nobody moves Amar an inch.  When Amar blocks a guy out...that's it for them.  They aren't getting that rebound.  When a guy is that fiery and competitive, there is no telling how good they can be in spite of their lack of quickness or athleticism.  He has a nasty edge to him that I really like.  He takes it personal. 

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »
Mar

Good question.  They are two very different players to me.  Sanchez, had tons of skill but he didn't embrace this role as a big man and he didn't have an edge to him.   Amar is not as skilled as Sanchez, but he's a warrior and very competitive.  He does not disregard his big man duties at all.

Sanchez got owned by everyone physically...it was like he was wearing ice skates.  He got backed down routinely and had to go for the last second block.   He was a finesse player.

Nobody moves Amar an inch.  When Amar blocks a guy out...that's it for them.  They aren't getting that rebound.  When a guy is that fiery and competitive, there is no telling how good they can be in spite of their lack of quickness or athleticism.  He has a nasty edge to him that I really like.  He takes it personal. 

Amarillac

Marillac

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2015, 06:23:36 PM »
Mar

Amarillac

Mind=Blown.

Amar plays like I post...intense, with an edge,  fouls/warning are issued, and sometimes dudes get hurt unintentionally. 

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
Amarillac made me spit up my drink baldi lol. I actually like amar. I think he's going to be very serviceable and a good 4 year player. Alot of people forget how bad some players looked in year 1 of their careers. I thought he was ok this season. He'll be fine.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:39:12 PM by valgoth »

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
Amarillac might have been one of Baldi's funniest ever.

I almost choked on my pre game of thrones ritual of ben and jerrys