Roster updates

• 244 replies

Marillac

Re: Roster updates
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
Amarillac might have been one of Baldi's funniest ever.

I almost choked on my pre game of thrones ritual of ben and jerrys

Once in a while Bali pulls out a gem.  This was really funny.

Amarillac Alibegovic. 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:44:54 PM by Marillac »

lihoop

« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
I know this is off topic but, check out www.rainierland.com for free movies & shows online - serious, no joke.

TONYD3

« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »
Mar
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.

He signed like two weeks before the season started. He was completely unprepared for the speed at this level.  He has a whole summer+ to go over his tape and work on his weaknesses, knowing full well what to expect.

I know some of you will respond that I wrote off Jones the same way, but I did that because  of his lack of toughness, ow feet, and absolutely no nose for the ball.

Look at my posts when we signed Amar.  I didn't like it...hated the description of a four that shoots threes.  Then  I as him play and the kid is a brawler.  He doesn't neglect his big man duties.  He straightup bullied Jalen Reynolds in our second win over X.  The same Jalen Reynolds that looked like Wilt Chamberlain against Sampson and Sanchez.
How can you like amar and hate Sanchez? Neither can play defense, if amar improved amazingly he would be as good as Sanchez

Good question.  They are two very different players to me.  Sanchez, had tons of skill but he didn't embrace this role as a big man and he didn't have an edge to him.   Amar is not as skilled as Sanchez, but he's a warrior and very competitive.  He does not disregard his big man duties at all.

Sanchez got owned by everyone physically...it was like he was wearing ice skates.  He got backed down routinely and had to go for the last second block.   He was a finesse player.

Nobody moves Amar an inch.  When Amar blocks a guy out...that's it for them.  They aren't getting that rebound.  When a guy is that fiery and competitive, there is no telling how good they can be in spite of their lack of quickness or athleticism.  He has a nasty edge to him that I really like.  He takes it personal. 
Thanks for the answer. I wish I believed the same thing. hope you are right.

Marillac

« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »
Mar
Is it me or are you guys just delusional? Some of you have to be more realistic I feel. Did you watch the same games that I did? The big east game was way to fast for amar....he is extremely slow....as other guys such as pointer would make passes to him cutting to the hoop and it would just go out of bounds. He is also a terrible defender who would pick up 4 fouls in 6 minutes of action. I understand everyone wants to be positive but come on. He is a low level division 1 player at best.

He signed like two weeks before the season started. He was completely unprepared for the speed at this level.  He has a whole summer+ to go over his tape and work on his weaknesses, knowing full well what to expect.

I know some of you will respond that I wrote off Jones the same way, but I did that because  of his lack of toughness, ow feet, and absolutely no nose for the ball.

Look at my posts when we signed Amar.  I didn't like it...hated the description of a four that shoots threes.  Then  I as him play and the kid is a brawler.  He doesn't neglect his big man duties.  He straightup bullied Jalen Reynolds in our second win over X.  The same Jalen Reynolds that looked like Wilt Chamberlain against Sampson and Sanchez.
How can you like amar and hate Sanchez? Neither can play defense, if amar improved amazingly he would be as good as Sanchez

Good question.  They are two very different players to me.  Sanchez, had tons of skill but he didn't embrace this role as a big man and he didn't have an edge to him.   Amar is not as skilled as Sanchez, but he's a warrior and very competitive.  He does not disregard his big man duties at all.

Sanchez got owned by everyone physically...it was like he was wearing ice skates.  He got backed down routinely and had to go for the last second block.   He was a finesse player.

Nobody moves Amar an inch.  When Amar blocks a guy out...that's it for them.  They aren't getting that rebound.  When a guy is that fiery and competitive, there is no telling how good they can be in spite of their lack of quickness or athleticism.  He has a nasty edge to him that I really like.  He takes it personal. 
Thanks for the answer. I wish I believed the same thing. hope you are right.

Me too.  He needs to improve his quickness, and his defense is in need of a complete makeover.  The first time I ever saw him, he was getting schooled by Rysheed Jordan playing matador defense (granted that is a very tough switch for a 6'9 240 big) on the Euro trip.  It was pretty ugly.

What gives me hope is how quickly he fills the lane when someone drives.  It shows he has the instincts, whereas a guy like Jones would take a full second longer to react.  He needs to learn to calm down a little out there.  He does everything in excess...over-hedges, strays too far on help, leaves his man too much to close the lane, etc.  All fixable in time.  Maybe not all next season, but in time.  He has great value as a guy that can play the four and five.  He might have to start off as the backup center until Sima is ready. 

« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
but Sanchez for all the hype came with baggage that no one was prepared for. 

Like when his wife had the baby and he wouldn't leave to play a basketball game in Philly we desperately needed him for?  That was tough to take in a season in which we missed the Ncaa's by one win.

Moose

« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
but Sanchez for all the hype came with baggage that no one was prepared for. 

Like when his wife had the baby and he wouldn't leave to play a basketball game in Philly we desperately needed him for?  That was tough to take in a season in which we missed the Ncaa's by one win.

Too bad I look at losses at CA to Prov and at DePaul oh and Obekpa refusing to enter a BE tournament game before even thinking of beating Nova on the road.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Malik Ellison, Durand Johnson, Federico Mussini, Georgios Papagiannis in mix for St. John's after they missed out on Diallo.

« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Malik Ellison, Durand Johnson, Federico Mussini, Georgios Papagiannis in mix for St. John's after they missed out on Diallo.

Land the four of 'em, and we can start talking about putting a "more than average" team on the floor for the '15-'16 season.

sju89tr

« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »

Land the four of 'em, and we can start talking about putting a "more than average" team on the floor for the '15-'16 season.

Somebody would have to go

« Reply #189 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:40 PM »
I think Ellison will be next to commit could be in next few days.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #190 on: April 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »

3 ships left.
And I still don't see how Christian sticks around.

« Reply #191 on: April 29, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »

3 ships left.

If they are serious about landing the above-mentioned (one has already committed with another one probably soon verballing), then there is no way Jones sticks around, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:25:07 PM by mjdinkins »

sju89tr

« Reply #192 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »

3 ships left.

If they are serious about landing the above-mentioned (one has already committed with another one probably soon verballing), then there is no way Jones sticks around, IMO.

Should have never redshirted the kid and now it is unfair to make him leave 

« Reply #193 on: April 29, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »

3 ships left.

Hasn't really shown anything that makes me believe he wants to stay. I think it was a smart decision on his part to redshirt when he did but he didn't seem to show anything physically or mentally from sitting out.

Meanwhile other guys on the team all looked improved Dom, Obekpa, Harrison, Jamal, Phil, etc.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »

3 ships left.

You make a good point.  Unfortunately, this is what can happen when a new staff comes in.

sju89tr

« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

3 ships left.

You make a good point.  Unfortunately, this is what can happen when a new staff comes in.

His only other options are to lose a year of eligibility, transfer to a D2 or D3, or go NAIA
If he stays and graduates then transfers for his last year then I can live with it
He should not be forced out in my opinion 

Moose

« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

3 ships left.

He has a valid reason to go home.

sju89tr

« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »

3 ships left.

Mom is sick?

Moose

« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »

3 ships left.

Mom is sick?

Don't want to discuss it publicly but he has legit reason.

sju89tr

« Reply #199 on: April 29, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »

3 ships left.

Mom is sick?

Don't want to discuss it publicly but he has legit reason.

I saw it on twitter i think. It is serious from what I heard.