Jordan coming back...

• 343 replies

Re: Jordan coming back...
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
Doomed

« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
Sick of this dude and his drama. I'll be happy to rid the stench of Lavin from the program. Looking forward to watching the new jacks

« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2015, 03:49:33 PM »
Someone might want to break the news to Jordan that he's not going to be eligible next season.

« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Someone might want to break the news to Jordan that he's not going to be eligible next season.

Fed ex envelope to Philly?

MCNPA

« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »
My guess is this is is the scenario.  Lavin reeled Jordan in enough last season so that he could put his all out effort on the court to finish the season, and he did.  Jordan, likely hell bent on being an NBA superstar, probably just stopped going to class to get ready for His NBA career. Failed classes then realized he was ridiculous to think he was NBA draftable at that time.  Decides to come back but now is short classes. 

Result is that we are in limbo with Jordan it seems.  This kid not smart enough to help himself, that's his problem.  Hopefully he gets his ducks in a row, but I'm more than ready to usher in Lovett and Mussini if Jordan can't.  This kid is screwing up his own career.  This staff won't let him bring the SJu ship down.   I'm not worried.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:42:50 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:57 PM »
I'm gonna wait till something definitive comes up with Jordan. He has been dragged through the mud too much here.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
We've been wrong on this kid several times in the last two years.  Speculating at this point is pointless.  Let's just wish him luck in getting his stuff in order and coming back a more mature student, player, and person.  If it doesn't work out, we picked up a fantastic young freshman with a skill set more suitable for PG.  Losing Jordan probably puts us on the wrong side of the bubble, but we'll still compete. 

« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm gonna wait till something definitive comes up with Jordan. He has been dragged through the mud too much here.
Thank you

« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
We've been wrong on this kid several times in the last two years.  Speculating at this point is pointless.  Let's just wish him luck in getting his stuff in order and coming back a more mature student, player, and person.  If it doesn't work out, we picked up a fantastic young freshman with a skill set more suitable for PG.  Losing Jordan probably puts us on the wrong side of the bubble, but we'll still compete.
So true. A handful of people shit all over this kid, and all he managed to do was show great improvement and turn in a really solid sophomore season while playing basketball for a school that some of us attended and really care about when he could have taken his talents elsewhere. I have no idea if he's going to play next year either, but if he doesn't I'm not going to trash talk him on a message board like a socially awkward loser. It's pretty funny to think of how I would feel if I was still in college, and I knew some tools on a message board were dumping on me for (possibly) not attending class. For now, I look forward to seeing him progress on the court and hope he plays next year. If he doesn't, then I will root for the next kid to step up instead.

paultzman

« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
My guess is this is is the scenario.  Lavin reeled Jordan in enough last season so that he could put his all out effort on the court to finish the season, and he did.  Jordan, likely hell bent on being an NBA superstar, probably just stopped going to class to get ready for His NBA career. Failed classes then realized he was ridiculous to think he was NBA draftable at that time.  Decides to come back but now is short classes. 

Result is that we are in limbo with Jordan it seems.  This kid not smart enough to help himself, that's his problem.  Hopefully he gets his ducks in a row, but I'm more than ready to usher in Lovett and Mussini if Jordan can't.  This kid is screwing up his own career.  This staff won't let him bring the SJu ship down.   I'm not worried.

Exactly MCN!

« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
I'm waiting to watch Sheed pull a rabbit out of the hat with summer classes. He's smart enough to get it done when motivated.

« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2015, 07:18:47 PM »
I'm waiting to watch Sheed pull a rabbit out of the hat with summer classes. He's smart enough to get it done when motivated.

to catch up i imagined he'd have to be in school for both summer sessions...

« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »

to catch up i imagined he'd have to be in school for both summer sessions...
Someone confirm that? I'm going to guess you're correct.  Usually classes are one month each, with at least two sessions, correct? I'm not sure if he could squeeze in 9 credits if need be.  Or is 6 max?

« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »
here's what i found
http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics
In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

my question is: when is the "end of their second year" considered? end of may or end of august?  If august, i imagine he has time to catch up.  otherwise, he could be done.

« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
here's what i found
http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-academics
In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

my question is: when is the "end of their second year" considered? end of may or end of august?  If august, i imagine he has time to catch up.  otherwise, he could be done.
The other wrinkly might be if there were incompletes for a grade or two, or straight up failures.  Incompletes - depend on circumstances, but IIRC they have drop dead dates too.

« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
Good Point MCNPA. Other regimes would have bent over backwards for the kid. This regime really doesn't owe him anything, and our coaching staff has been around the block. They are prepared for the fact that kids come and go.

From what I heard, he stopped going to class during the season, Spring semester. Usually these kids take 9-12 credits and then play catch up in the Summer. He could make up 12 credits in the Summer. The questions is will he be available October-December? Or could he be available January going forward?

« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
so i guess not making him available to media so "he could concentrate on school" was just more BS....  lOL

« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »
i really don't want to dislike Lavin, but how do you let this happen? did he just stop caring? did he know he was done?  all the BS he spewed to the media about life and discipline, it's apparent is just a bunch of BS.  where were the academic advisers? where were the tutors? where were his teammates? the assistants?  obviously nobody really gave a f*ck.

MCNPA

« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

It was in the tea leaves and no, we haven't been wrong.  He has shown no maturity at all.  He's dragged this crap along as far as he has been able to and none of it has been for "team".  Don't confuse this kid with D'Angelo Harrison because he too went astray.  Difference is that D'Angelo has the heart of a lion on and off the court.  He's an assasin and wanted to win more than anybody.  Rysheed hasn't bought into that.  He's all about Rysheed. 

We haven't been wrong at all he's talented, but thinks he's bigger than the team.  If he's trying to get his grades in order it's only because he dug a hole and wants to dig himself out so he can be a pro.  I understand that.  He isn't about the team until proven otherwise. 

I don't think this is denigrating the kid. He has quit on us several times.  Over two seasons and seasons and now as a rising junior.  These are the facts.  I think he can be a great player and easy NBA player, but he's making Lenny Cooke-type decisions since he got here.  At least he had a very understanding guy in Lavin here, and Mullin also let bygones be bygones.  Other places he would have been dropped imo.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:35:51 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
He may very well be finished.  The above article states that there are also GPA requirements in addition to the required number of completed credits.  So if he stopped going to class and received F's in all those courses,  he may have pulled his GPA down so low that he might need A's in all four classes over the summer.  It may be to tall an order for Rysheed to qualify.