Jordan coming back...

• 343 replies

Johnny23

Re: Jordan coming back...
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
I think some on this board are overstating the potential loss of Jordan. Sure he's a talented offensive player. However, I never thought of him as a team oriented guy and he seemed more concerned about getting his than playing 5 man ball.

I actually think without him that there will be more team chemistry next year because there won't be that one "me" guy on the team. Take him or leave him, I think this Johnnies program is focused on much bigger things over the coming years.

TONYD3

« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
I think some on this board are overstating the potential loss of Jordan. Sure he's a talented offensive player. However, I never thought of him as a team oriented guy and he seemed more concerned about getting his than playing 5 man ball.

I actually think without him that there will be more team chemistry next year because there won't be that one "me" guy on the team. Take him or leave him, I think this Johnnies program is focused on much bigger things over the coming years.
I agree with this. But to have a decent year he was (is) needed.

« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »

He would have been an all big east player and our leading scorer.

« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Only thing worse than starting a freshman point guard, is having a starting freshman point guard with a freshman back up. Jordan was good defensively, but was not a pure point guard. We will have issues at the point, can only hope the front court w CO and Sima came make up for back court defensive weaknesses.

Johnny23

« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

Leading scorer, sure. Yet that doesn't necessarily translate to more wins if he doesn't make the guys around him better.

All big east player? That's far from a lock given the other guards in the conference. 

Poison

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »
Only thing worse than starting a freshman point guard, is having a starting freshman point guard with a freshman back up. Jordan was good defensively, but was not a pure point guard. We will have issues at the point, can only hope the front court w CO and Sima came make up for back court defensive weaknesses.

Doesn't the kid from Missouri State play the point? Or some point?

« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
One thing I agree with is that Lovett and Mussini will be overmatched defensively.  They'll be like Swiss cheese.  Both are very talented offensive players, but from what I've seen, both terrible defenders.  Doesn't mean they can't get good, but that usually takes at least a season or so.  Be prepared for Iona defense in our backcourt, lol...  Not worried bout offense..
Mullin's going to run Westhead's system.  Just need one ferocious rebounder and a helluvalot 3 point shooters with no fear.  AND in tremendous shape - let's roll -  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:25:33 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »

And willing to distribute the ball as a solid passer.  I'm not sure what everyone else is looking at, unless it's the jilted gf effect  :tickedoff:

Poison

« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »
No STJ's fan can tell me this is good news. It's really disappointing news, and there's no way around it. Even if LoVett turns out to be the goods, and Mussini commits and contributes, this team has no upperclasmen returnees in the backcourt. We need a sleeper from 4 positions. That's nothing short of a miracle.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:20:46 PM by Poison »

« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
Huge loss. Baldi was correct when he said we just went from tourney team to bottom half of BE. Oh well.

Wods317

« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Huge loss. Baldi was correct when he said we just went from tourney team to bottom half of BE. Oh well.

I think we don't know enough about our roster to say where we will finish. We have what one returning player now we played major minutes. We haven't really seen any of the new guys play before. Odds are as younger players they may struggle a bit like most freshman do. Jordan's scoring will be sorely missed for sure and could see it being the difference in an NCAA year and NIT year.

Marillac

« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

There is a lot of room for error in where many of us were predicting this team to finish.  It's not like we were thinking we'd be a #1 seed with a very small margin of error.  We were talking about losing ten games or so anyway.

Let's wait a little before we write his SJU obituary.  Baldi has been wrong on this kid for three years.  Jordan really has no other option than getting his academics in order and coming back mid-December. 

Jordan has played like a freshman for two years.  I think Lovett will be come in with better decision-making from day one.  He's a pure pg.  He doesn't have to do anything more than he's done his entire life. Guards are typically ready pretty early.

« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2015, 05:40:05 PM »
D-League is a very solid option,  I believe 3 kids in 2 years were drafted from the  D-League. I would prefer he leaves  in good academic standing just in case he wanted to come back and finish up his degree. However the D-League is an excellent option for someone who is not partial to doing school work in a weak 2016 PG draft.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

goredmen

« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2015, 05:51:37 PM »
D-League is a very solid option,  I believe 3 kids in 2 years were drafted from the  D-League. I would prefer he leaves  in good academic standing just in case he wanted to come back and finish up his degree. However the D-League is an excellent option for someone who is not partial to doing school work in a weak 2016 PG draft.

I can't see this kid coming back to finish his degree after he wasn't going to class while on scholarship

Poison

« Reply #274 on: May 25, 2015, 06:17:20 PM »

So, you're saying there's a chance?

« Reply #275 on: May 25, 2015, 06:26:25 PM »

After what J.  Sampson did I think anything is possible!  Jordan put on the uniform he is like family I am rooting for him,  small chance but it is new York where miracles happen  🙌
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #276 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »

There is a lot of room for error in where many of us were predicting this team to finish.  It's not like we were thinking we'd be a #1 seed with a very small margin of error.  We were talking about losing ten games or so anyway.

Let's wait a little before we write his SJU obituary.  Baldi has been wrong on this kid for three years.  Jordan really has no other option than getting his academics in order and coming back mid-December. 

Jordan has played like a freshman for two years.  I think Lovett will be come in with better decision-making from day one.  He's a pure pg.  He doesn't have to do anything more than he's done his entire life. Guards are typically ready pretty early.

I've been wrong on Jordan for 3 years? How so?

Marillac

« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »

I've been wrong on Jordan for 3 years? How so?

You've claimed he wouldn't be coming back at least four separate times.  Each time he came back and was better than when he left.

Marillac

« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »

After what J.  Sampson did I think anything is possible!  Jordan put on the uniform he is like family I am rooting for him,  small chance but it is new York where miracles happen  🙌

Sampson is one of the nicest people alive.  Jordan has red flags everywhere off the court.

« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »
Jordan is hands down my least favorite St John 's player of all time...and I go back to when Lapchick was coaching.

This is crazy, Newsman. We have a guy that murdered someone.  Grady Reynolds sexually assualted someone.  Abe Keita put us on probation and made us vacate wins out of pure spite.

Jordan is a good kid that is lazy and spent the last six weeks of his semester without the type of supervision every program in the country has to provide to ensure academic success.  Making sure kids do their hw and show up for class is a full-time job.  Alex Evans used to run around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to keep everyone eligible. 
refresh my memory...who murdered someone?  Grady is no favorite, for sure.  Jordan was a problem from the beginning with one drama after another.  He's one of the reasons I jumped off the Lavin bandwagon.  Now he needs someone to check his homework?  We've had players flunk out...Billy Lawrence who was a budding star was one...Porter was another.  Neither of them gave the team, coaches and fans as much drama.  Keita had his stuff tossed from his room because he hooked up...God forbid...with a woman in Pittsburgh.  Obekpa had to have his reefer at the most inopportune time.  The delaRosas?...I could go on.   Jordan was the worst.