Diallo or Sampson or Both?

• 128 replies
Re: Diallo or Sampson or Both?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
To think that you don't need to stroke these kids egos is being naive at best. That's the state of the game today. SJU is not Kentucky, nor is it Kansas. We all want it to be but we're not anywhere near their level yet. Giving a star recruit the hope of big minutes is all part of the process. Of course he's got to earn those minutes. But you better believe that the coaches are selling him on those big minutes also.

Am curious has anyone here actually created someone or is this pure speculation as to what a coach should say?

Now when you say "create" do you mean old testament, Genesis, creating mankind?  Or do you mean creating like with Mr potato head?
Because I tried to make a team of basketball players once out of play - dough, but the dog ate them. 

I meant recruit, instead of "create".

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
My usual talkative sources on Diallo are silent......wondering how meeting went?

I assume your sources include Cheick's advisor. If not, you are missing the key ingredient in this process.

hnk

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »
Who do you mean by his advisor?  You can PM if you'd prefer.  I still think no one speaks for Cheick, but Cheick. Do you know who was at the meeting?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:10:17 AM by hnk »

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
Who do you mean by his advisor?  You can PM if you'd prefer.  I still think no one speaks for Cheick, but Cheick. Do you know who was at the meeting?

If you minimize the influence of his advisor you are wrong. Leave it at that & yes I do know who that is.

hnk

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
Who?   Or just say u r unwilling to disclose.  I am not minimizing anything.  I think you make a mistake minimizing Cheick and his fortitude. But to each his own,

By the way, i admit i have zero idea at this moment what he will decide....what the tipping factors will be and who will influence him.  And when he will decide?

I just hope.

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
Who?   Or just say u r unwilling to disclose.  I am not minimizing anything.  I think you make a mistake minimizing Cheick and his fortitude. But to each his own,

By the way, i admit i have zero idea at this moment what he will decide....what the tipping factors will be and who will influence him.  And when he will decide?

I just hope.

I'm not giving you a name, but accept that recruitment of many of kids from Africa include guardians and advisors, many with fine intentions. Obekpa recruitment was led by OSNA, but this isn't. I have chatted with this individual a few times about work he does with kids in his native country. I have no interest in making things up & merely asked if your "sources" included his advisor. Apparently I touched a nerve. Sorry, perhaps we should move on.

hnk

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »
Ok, now, I know who you are speaking about.  That's what I would have guessed. I don't talk to him personally, but do talk to people who do talk to him.  He has influence....not what it was three years ago. Didn't touch any nerve......just think you don't really get Diallo.

I still don't have any idea what he'll do......I guess you do from his advisor.  We'll see.

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

I just hope.

I'm not giving you a name, but accept that recruitment of many of kids from Africa include guardians and advisors, many with fine intentions. Obekpa recruitment was led by OSNA, but this isn't. I have chatted with this individual a few times about work he does with kids in his native country. I have no interest in making things up & merely asked if your "sources" included his advisor. Apparently I touched a nerve. Sorry, perhaps we should move on.
So true.   The only one I ever heard from the horse's mouth was the Simplice Njoya recruitment.  My cousin coached him his senior year, and he was about the 10th rated center in the country.  My cousin said Dougherty and others offered him, but he went with the AC at UNLV because the advisor was friends with him.  When the AC ended up going to Duquesne, the advisor pushed him there despite all the good offers (Michigan, GT, UNC, etc) he originally had. Ironically, Cal wound up with him at Memphis after he transferred after his soph season.  My cousin said it was crazy how this advisor gave him bad advice based upon their personal interest.

Thus,

Advisor = Good Advice/Bad Advice just like any other person.  Problem is their agenda just like any other person too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:05:04 PM by bball purist »

Poison

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
PG-Tarrant, Doughty
SG-Sampson, Felix
G-Jordan
PF-Williams, Diallo, Amar
C-Obekpa, Sima

You are not putting Diallo as a backup are you? I can't see that happening if he came here.

He'll be a freshman. Let him come off the bench and earn a starting position. He plays like an all american, then he'll start.

So sophomore and juco transfer Darien williams should automatically start over freshman and mcd aa MVP in year one...just because diallos younger?

Mullin should hire you.  I am sure w your strategies you'd have a pipeline of mcd aas dying to come here knowing they'll be completely nh off the bench...

If Diallo is Okafor, sure let him start, but we've had bad experiences w treating NYers like Gods. I'd like that to stop.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:04:07 PM by Poison »

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
PG-Tarrant, Doughty
SG-Sampson, Felix
G-Jordan
PF-Williams, Diallo, Amar
C-Obekpa, Sima

You are not putting Diallo as a backup are you? I can't see that happening if he came here.

He'll be a freshman. Let him come off the bench and earn a starting position. He plays like an all american, then he'll start.

So sophomore and juco transfer Darien williams should automatically start over freshman and mcd aa MVP in year one...just because diallos younger?

Mullin should hire you.  I am sure w your strategies you'd have a pipeline of mcd aas dying to come here knowing they'll be completely nh off the bench...

If Diallo is Okafor, sure let him start, but we've had bad experiences w treating NYers like Gods. I'd like that to stop.
Maybe CO, Williams and Diallo all start - lol.

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »
Diallo is more of a complete player than Obekpa. A much better motor too. He sneaks up in the box score and will 10 points off 6 shots before a half all off put backs and hustle.

Obekpa is a better shot blocker and has a better midrange shot which isn't saying much.

I'd love to see them play on the floor together. I think Diallo would push Obekpa and vice versa.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
Diallo is more of a complete player than Obekpa. A much better motor too. He sneaks up in the box score and will 10 points off 6 shots before a half all off put backs and hustle.

Obekpa is a better shot blocker and has a better midrange shot which isn't saying much.

I'd love to see them play on the floor together. I think Diallo would push Obekpa and vice versa.

You think it would work well enough offensively to use for big stretches?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »

Diallo is not an offensive liability at the 4.  He and CO would be a fine together.  With good shooters at the 1-3 spots, we would have a great team on the floor.

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »

It depends who the guards are. They are the ones getting majority of the shots and both CO/CD are great passers out of the post.

Additionally I think defensive rebounding would see significant boost and allow this team to get out and run. Diallo is best big in the country running rim to rim.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »
CO [...] great passers out of the post.

16 assists in 819 minutes.

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »
Diallo remind anyone of jefferson of duke or kid gilchrist of kentucky? 

Johnny23

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »
Yes a longer and more physical Kidd Gilchrist.

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »
Looks like none of the above. Top '16 class will be a must get.

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 12:46:49 AM »
would you rather have obekpa and diallo on the floor or obekpa and amar.....i mean come on
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:04:08 AM by Aknel79 »

boo3

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:18 AM »
How about neither?