Doughty Released

• 85 replies

MCNPA

Re: Doughty Released
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
A bird in hand....

I don't know the strategy...but I'll be pissed if we play five or six guys next season.

We won't.  Will will add more guys, possibly Ellison soon.  We already have guys returning that will play and guys coming in that will play. Giving a kid a scholarship just because, if the staff doesn't feel he's a good fit, is not the right thing.  I'd rather see the staff rebuild this team the way they feel appropriate.

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Some of you guys are making it seem like we just lost Malik Newman or something.

We'll be fine.

desco80

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
A bird in hand....

I don't know the strategy...but I'll be pissed if we play five or six guys next season.

We won't.  Will will add more guys, possibly Ellison soon.  We already have guys returning that will play and guys coming in that will play. Giving a kid a scholarship just because, if the staff doesn't feel he's a good fit, is not the right thing.  I'd rather see the staff rebuild this team the way they feel appropriate.

+1.
It's a combination of the staff wanting their own guys, and recruits wanting coaches they are familiar with. 

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2015, 03:28:28 PM »
A bird in hand....

+1.
It's a combination of the staff wanting their own guys, and recruits wanting coaches they are familiar with. 

If these kids don't want to work hard, which is what our staff reflects, better look elsewhere.  If you don't want to play for a Hall of Famer with a top staff, we don't want Ya.

Johnny23

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
Not a big loss. Much rather add PG and frontcourt depth. I'd also rather have Heron and Alkins in 2016 if it means losing Doughty.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »
Most coaches don't come in with two top recruiters either, i rather have a blank canvass to work with and let them put together a balanced roster. By position and year
I'd much rather have Sampson and Doughty on the roster than a blank canvas.
Most coaches don't come in with two top recruiters either, i rather have a blank canvass to work with and let them put together a balanced roster. By position and year
I'd much rather have Sampson and Doughty on the roster than a blank canvas.

Then you, my friend, don't understand how huge it is that we have Slice.  Everyone that has ever met Slice, loves him.  Add to that one of the most creative and hardest working recruiters in the country in Matt A.  Sampson was a tough loss because he fit into what Mullin is trying to build, but Doughty will  be replaced in a few days by a prospect that is better suited for the new St. John's program.  Plus, Heron and the talented 2016 class will be amazing. 

Let's have some faith people.

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »
We currently have 1 guard on the roster.  People are worried about putting bodies on the court next year.  If we fall completely flat next year it could hurt recruiting momentum.  I'm not expecting miracles for next year but if Doughty really wanted to be here I'm surprised we let him go.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
We currently have 1 guard on the roster.  People are worried about putting bodies on the court next year.  If we fall completely flat next year it could hurt recruiting momentum.  I'm not expecting miracles for next year but if Doughty really wanted to be here I'm surprised we let him go.

So little faith, jumpinjohnny?

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »

So little faith, jumpinjohnny?

Just a lot of roster uncertainty
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:19:00 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »

Why don't you trust the staff?  Do you really think they'd let a quality player walk if they didn't feel good about what was coming up this week?

Also, what is this one guard nonsense?  Jordan, a former 5* PG, is entering his junior season and will be playing around 32 mpg.  We just signed M'Vouika, a 6'5 2/3 that grew up playing PG, who has four years and a prep season at prestigious Huntington prep under his belt.  Balamou, while probably better suited for the three offensively (at least under Lavin), can play the two at 6'4 and can defend the one or two spots effectively.  There is also Henderson, with a year under his belt.  I know he carries the dreaded walk on label, but he held several offers and had interest from some big programs.  We'll have  Ellison by Wednesday.

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »
I don't think anyone is expecting a top 10 season next year but it would absolutely behoove us to be competitive next year. Maybe an NIT season.

Why? Because right now the stigma is Mullin has never coached. If we fall flat on our face next year what's the #1 thing that's gonna hurt recruiting for 2016 and beyond? Players being told by others "don't go to sju, mullin can't coach they won 10 games last year"

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
I don't think anyone is expecting a top 10 season next year but it would absolutely behoove us to be competitive next year. Maybe an NIT season.

Why? Because right now the stigma is Mullin has never coached. If we fall flat on our face next year what's the #1 thing that's gonna hurt recruiting for 2016 and beyond? Players being told by others "don't go to sju, mullin can't coach they won 10 games last year"

Completely agree, DJ.  We can end those fears/knocks really quickly like Hoiberg did.  I don't think Doughty was (nor will Ellison be) the answer for that.  To be competitive next year, we need at least one more immediately eligible transfer.  I don't trust freshman.  Diallo is a little different than the typical freshman, but he won't be Batman or even Robin. 

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »

Agree...not sure why everyone is so defensive

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »

Nobody argues what KJ posted.  We are all aware that opposing coaches will be spewing that nonsense to recruits until Mullin proves them wrong by winning.  If we're all being honest, I'm sure every poster has a little of that fear personally.  But to post that you are worried that we won't have enough bodies to put on the floor is way past that.  We have Slice and Matt recruiting for a legend.  We'll have the bodies. If we feel that we can't replace Samir Doughty, a three-star player with eligibility concerns, than we should have switched staffs to begin win. 

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »

Nobody argues what KJ posted.  We are all aware that opposing coaches will be spewing that nonsense to recruits until Mullin proves them wrong by winning.  If we're all being honest, I'm sure every poster has a little of that fear personally.  But to post that you are worried that we won't have enough bodies to put on the floor is way past that.  We have Slice and Matt recruiting for a legend.  We'll have the bodies. If we feel that we can't replace Samir Doughty, a three-star player with eligibility concerns, than we should have switched staffs to begin win. 

Rysheed Jordan is the only true backcourt player committed to play here next year.  I like Henderson's potential but he's more of a 3...M'vouika, Balamou, and Ellison (who is not even committed yet) look like small forwards as well.  Can they take spot time at the 2...sure.  But I see no problem wondering what the coaches' strategy is...Like I said before hopefully Doughty's release means the staff is confident someone else is coming on board.  Hopefully a few somebodies.

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
M'Vouika is a 2 guard.  And everyone agrees SJU is not done on recruiting.

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
M'Vouika is a 2 guard.  And everyone agrees SJU is not done on recruiting.

He's listed in the recruiting chart as a 3.  That may be part of the confusion.

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2015, 11:00:36 PM »
I think we go to the final 4 if we kept Doughty

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »
I stand corrected...all is well

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »
I think we go to the final 4 if we kept Doughty

Damn. Wish he stayed then.