Which SJU player are you most excited to see on the court next season?

• 31 replies

Tha Kid

RYSHEED JORDAN.  He has all the talent and hopefully the coaching staff can finally get him focused and dedicated.  If so, watch out.  Feel like everything is in place for him to make a huge leap this season, but its all up to him and the work he puts in.
"I drink and I know things"

I'm excited to see Sima.  I think he'll need time to develop, but I love his size and athleticism (from what I've seen on videos). 

Jordan's development. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Wods317

Rysheed could have the best season by an SJU player in a long time. Kid has the game if his head is on straight to be the player of the year in the conference. I am nervously excited to see him. If just kind of stays at the level of late last year he will be very good but he makes the next step look out Big East.

Marillac

Okay, my serious answer is Williams for fun and Jordan for production.  I think Williams will be a fan favorite very quickly with his exciting deep threes, vicious dunks, blocks, and personality. 

Jordan has crazy potential.  He was the 2013 RSCI #26 ranked kid in an insanely talented class (Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Gordon, Harrison brothers, Portis, Embid, Ennis, James Young, Vonleh, etc.). There are only a few guys in the top 30 playing next season, and even fewer top 30 guys from the three year before.  That means that he is one of the highest ranked upperclassmen left in the country .  He has to get better in the pick-and-roll and he has to make better decisions with the ball.  He has nobody to lean on...no more crutches.  I think that will be a good thing.  The best thing about him is that he is very good on defense, the glass, and with loose balls.  That's huge. 

Obekpa could be a different man.  I was very disappointed with him after the first  month last season.  He was frustrated with never getting touches and he was extremely immature.  He had leverage on Lavin, as Lavin sold all those guys on the NBA and CO could threaten to transfer or declare.   He has no leverage with Mullin.  Mullin didn't promise him anything and his is last season.  No more threats.  If Pinckney come aboard, he could really be a monster.  I don't think he showed us half of the player he could have been last season.

I think Durand Johnson has All-Big East ability and, as odd as it is to say about a new member of a team, is probably the surest thing we have next season. 

DFF6

Okay, my serious answer is Williams for fun and Jordan for production.  I think Williams will be a fan favorite very quickly with his exciting deep threes, vicious dunks, blocks, and personality. 

Jordan has crazy potential.  He was the 2013 RSCI #26 ranked kid in an insanely talented class (Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Gordon, Harrison brothers, Portis, Embid, Ennis, James Young, Vonleh, etc.). There are only a few guys in the top 30 playing next season, and even fewer top 30 guys from the three year before.  That means that he is one of the highest ranked upperclassmen left in the country .  He has to get better in the pick-and-roll and he has to make better decisions with the ball.  He has nobody to lean on...no more crutches.  I think that will be a good thing.  The best thing about him is that he is very good on defense, the glass, and with loose balls.  That's huge. 

Obekpa could be a different man.  I was very disappointed with him after the first  month last season.  He was frustrated with never getting touches and he was extremely immature.  He had leverage on Lavin, as Lavin sold all those guys on the NBA and CO could threaten to transfer or declare.   He has no leverage with Mullin.  Mullin didn't promise him anything and his is last season.  No more threats.  If Pinckney come aboard, he could really be a monster.  I don't think he showed us half of the player he could have been last season.

I think Durand Johnson has All-Big East ability and, as odd as it is to say about a new member of a team, is probably the surest thing we have next season. 

Good post.  I am still pissed at him, but Obekpa gets my vote for player I am most excited to see next year.  I just don't see Jordan being so much better next year, partly because I am not confident he will put in the work (hope I am wrong).  Obekpa, on the other hand, knows he's got one year left to show the scouts he belongs in the NBA.  I think (hope)  he will bust his ass to have a great year, and will respond well to what Coach Mullin & co. teach him.

goredmen

I'm actually more interested to see how Mullin and staff operate on the sidelines, style of play etc.

desco80

A tie between Durand johnson and Williams.  They've got to be good for this team to be good.
I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Jordan, Obekpa, and even Ellison.

Johnson and Williams need to be big contributors. 

Marillac

A tie between Durand johnson and Williams.  They've got to be good for this team to be good.
I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Jordan, Obekpa, and even Ellison.

Johnson and Williams need to be big contributors. 

Don't worry about Johnson. 
For Williams, I am only concerned with defense. I don't think he's bad, I just have no idea what to expect in that area.  We have two very good defenders in Obekpa and Jordan, a guy, Johnson, that we can count on to give us above-average D, and Balamou off the bench to shut it down.  It'd be great to have another couple guys (like Williams and M'vouika) step up to give us a complete unit.

desco80

Anybody know if any of our guys current or former are playing in the local summer leagues?   Nike pro city etc

Alibegovic coached by Pinckney.

ras

Alibegovic coached by Pinckney.
I hope your right. I'm not convinced he has showed that much to warrant getting excited about him for next year.