Monasch Out

• 76 replies

paultzman

Monasch Out
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:29 AM »
SJU will remove Chris Monasch as Athletic Director, sources told @CBSSports. An official announcement is expected soon. #sjubb
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:29:00 AM by paultzman »

Gumby

Re: Monasch Out
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
We should be able to do better.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
Cleaning house...He can get credit for bringing Mullin, a lot of good vibes for SJU and now he can leave for "bigger and better things" without the appearance of being fired.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »
He did a decent job with what he had.  Some would like to have seen Carnesecca Arena made bigger.  Lavin was a good hire...actually a great hire at the time.  The Norm years were brutal, but they were in FH's hands. The other programs are doing relatively well.

He has nothing to be ashamed of.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
@WojYahooNBA
Sources: Sacramento Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro - who lost authority to Vlade Divac - will be a significant candidate for St. John's AD job.

St. John's Alum and worked with Mullin in Sacramento and Golden State.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:21:52 AM by kingofk1ngs »

desco80

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
@WojYahooNBA
Sources: Sacramento Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro - who lost authority to Vlade Divac - will be a significant candidate for St. John's AD job.

Sounds good.  And could be something Mullin asked for in negotiations.

But, NBA gm and athletic director are very different jobs.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:42:46 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
@WojYahooNBA

Sounds good.  And could be something Mullin asked for I'm negotiations.

True...but we're a basketball school...

desco80

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »
@WojYahooNBA

Right, but how much of that work he did as gm translates?   He evaluated draft picks and free agents... but as AD he has no role in choosing the players.

I won't complain if an alum Chris and Lou are comfortable with becomes AD.
I just think the job mostly involves fundraising, getting sponsors, and scheduling.   For two dozen different teams.
That's not what a gm in the NBA does. 

But I'll keep an open mind.

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
Hmm,

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 7m7 minutes ago

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
Long Over Due. Glad someone is making the right decisions around here

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
If this plays out the way people are insinuating and Pete is the guy then this basketball program  will be given every opportunity and resource to succeed. Also proves who's running the show.  Hand picking your own boss/AD as a basketball coach is a sign of nearly autonomous power.  Monasch had to be out, d Alessandro is exciting because, although I agree with Desco, this guy is a professional and obviously hoops centric. I'd imagine we wouldn't be so "mom and pop" anymore.  Also wonder if it would be a big boost in recruiting, I mean he is an NBA gm.  Downside is, God forbid, there would have to be a change made with the coach it would be an absolute mess with the ad tied to him.  As the loquacious jalen rose said in regards to the fab five "s**t better work" lol

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
Power hire.  No idea how he'd be as an AD, but it would be an incredible marketing tool for hoops recruiting.

Desco - I would agree if we didn't already have Mullin on board, who is definitely the university's figurehead for donations.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
D'Alessandro would be great for hoops but think he would need a very capable assistant ad to aid him. But the same probably goes for any hire.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
Power hire.  No idea how he'd be as an AD, but it would be an incredible marketing tool for hoops recruiting.

Desco - I would agree if we didn't already have Mullin on board, who is definitely the university's figurehead for donations.

School and Gempesaw would be going all-in on hoops.  LONG OVERDUE.  Really hope this works out.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

absolutely a great move for basketball.

you can tell any highschool kid, "we are running a nba organization at st. john's." HOF Coach, NBA GM, and hopefully  NBA assistants. 

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 12:31:11 PM »
@WojYahooNBA

Yep.

3 Questions - Can the AD manage money well, can he/she raise more money for the athletic programs, and can they make good internal hires whether coaches/their  staff?

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »
@WojYahooNBA

Yep.

3 Questions - Can the AD manage money well, can he/she raise more money for the athletic programs, and can they make good internal hires whether coaches/their  staff?

Think Mullin's gonna be able to raise more money for athletics?

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:56 PM »
Long Over Due. Glad someone is making the right decisions around here

Just curious why is it long overdue? I'm not sure why some folks have such strong animosity towards Monasch.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
If I had to take issue with the athletic department then middle management would be my focus. There are a lot of glorified titles & paper pushers who have been collecting checks for a long time.

I am pretty indifferent on Monasch. I didn't think he was great but I definitely didn't think he was bad. I think there are plenty of positives over the past few years that can be directly attributed to him and hopefully this is another case of moving from good to great.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »
@GaryParrishCBS 3m3 minutes ago
St. John’s has formally announced that AD Chris Monasch is resigning effective June 30.