Monasch Out

• 76 replies
Re: Monasch Out
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »
Well if spending money on an army of asst coaches who obviously slowed down after the first year or two of recruiting is spending money wisely then i was wrong. And i was a lavin supporter but realize after the first couple of years he tailed off. I see what Chris and two of the best recruiters have accomplished in a couple of months and if some people in the know are correct that Mullin would not of come without a change of AD then there was a problem. I think we all agree that he and or the University kept Norm around to long. If i was wrong on the responsibility of the AD in helping brand and market the basketball program sorry, that person and or persons should be let go as well.

So if 5 years ago I said you'd have....

-Upgraded facilities
- 2 mbb ncaa appearances
- 2 nba players
- new apparel deal

I'm sure majority of fans would sign up. I think where the problem exists is that people thought more goals were attainable and were not met due to negligence. I get that. I understand it and to a degree I agree with it too.

My point it wasn't BAD. It could simply better.
Monarch and Lavin were meant for each other, because this pretty much describes Lavin's tenure... Good but could do better.
The one major difference is that Monasch was an SJU grad and I would like to see more passion and bigger expectations for the program.
It's something to be said when the new President has more pride and passion then the Vincentians and alumni at the school. I'm glad he is bringing back (sparing no expense) for people to think of SJU in a brighter light and bigger picture.

I guess I'm missing something. What expectations did you have Monasch where he fell short?

-Negotiated a lucrative apparel deal
-One of two schools who had their own TV network (Texas the other) and did it for fraction of cost
-Upgraded facilities on schedule
-Improved talent across board in all sports
-Increased attendance
-No major scandals (sorry I don't consider guys not qualifying scandals)
-St. John's communication, marketing, video, social, website are all very good

Overall I think he did a really good job and think that St. John's as a whole has elevated during his tenure. He wasn't exactly the most personable or upbeat guy but I'm not going to condemn him for that. He was always at every game and kept the ship steady.

Are the Philadelphia Eagles in any better of a spot with Chip Kelly than they were with Andy Reid?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2015, 03:49:22 AM »
Dave, speaking of upgrades can we lose the highlights of our NIT loss to UVA and the Jordan signing? its been 3 years now lol

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »
Well if spending money on an army of asst coaches who obviously slowed down after the first year or two of recruiting is spending money wisely then i was wrong. And i was a lavin supporter but realize after the first couple of years he tailed off. I see what Chris and two of the best recruiters have accomplished in a couple of months and if some people in the know are correct that Mullin would not of come without a change of AD then there was a problem. I think we all agree that he and or the University kept Norm around to long. If i was wrong on the responsibility of the AD in helping brand and market the basketball program sorry, that person and or persons should be let go as well.

So if 5 years ago I said you'd have....

-Upgraded facilities
- 2 mbb ncaa appearances
- 2 nba players
- new apparel deal

I'm sure majority of fans would sign up. I think where the problem exists is that people thought more goals were attainable and were not met due to negligence. I get that. I understand it and to a degree I agree with it too.

My point it wasn't BAD. It could simply better.
Monarch and Lavin were meant for each other, because this pretty much describes Lavin's tenure... Good but could do better.
The one major difference is that Monasch was an SJU grad and I would like to see more passion and bigger expectations for the program.
It's something to be said when the new President has more pride and passion then the Vincentians and alumni at the school. I'm glad he is bringing back (sparing no expense) for people to think of SJU in a brighter light and bigger picture.

I guess I'm missing something. What expectations did you have Monasch where he fell short?

-Negotiated a lucrative apparel deal
-One of two schools who had their own TV network (Texas the other) and did it for fraction of cost
-Upgraded facilities on schedule
-Improved talent across board in all sports
-Increased attendance
-No major scandals (sorry I don't consider guys not qualifying scandals)
-St. John's communication, marketing, video, social, website are all very good

Overall I think he did a really good job and think that St. John's as a whole has elevated during his tenure. He wasn't exactly the most personable or upbeat guy but I'm not going to condemn him for that. He was always at every game and kept the ship steady.

I completely agree with what you wrote.  I nit picked about the compliance department...but maybe Monasch preferred not to get rid of people.  I never thought he should be let go. 

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 08:41:43 AM »
Dave, to compare the Texas network (Longhorn Network) which is on 24/7 and carried country wide with SJU's which what, produces a few hoop games per year and little else is pure folly.

Tha Kid

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
Dave, to compare the Texas network (Longhorn Network) which is on 24/7 and carried country wide with SJU's which what, produces a few hoop games per year and little else is pure folly.

Dave made a lot of good points, but yeah, let's not pretend we are in a group of 2 with Texas.  It's a group of 1 - Texas.  Then we happened to do something similar but extremely different and lesser - still great and its an accomplishment, but not like Texas...

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:10:55 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
I said he was like Lavin, and I don't think Lavin was a failure, either. Texas is a name brand school, SJU is not even dominant in their own city.

Wasn't one if his guys scalping tickets? Does that count as a scandal?

-Overall Bobby is bringing in his own folks and he is trying to make the SJU profile bigger...Bringing somebody from the Kings who is a SJU grad is a pretty big splash.
-SJU Business school is undergoing a complete overhaul as well so it's not just at the Atheltic department.
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »

@WojYahooNBA: Sacramento Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro has accepted a high-ranking front office job with Josh Kroenke in Denver, league sources tell Yahoo.

@WojYahooNBA: D'Alessandro had chance to become athletic director at alma mater, St. John's, but chose the reunion with Denver organization, sources said.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:16:42 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »

@WojYahooNBA: Sacramento Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro has accepted a high-ranking front office job with Josh Kroenke in Denver, league sources tell Yahoo.

@WojYahooNBA: D'Alessandro had chance to become athletic director at alma mater, St. John's, but chose the reunion with Denver organization, sources said.
Smart move. Wish him the best.

Made there any ADs at smaller local school's that are considered up and comers?

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2015, 02:53:04 PM »
Bring the old stony brook ad I know he has baggage I think he would be solid here

Moose

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Bring the old stony brook ad I know he has baggage I think he would be solid here

You just got rid of an AD who was with the softball coach and now you want to bring in an AD who was accused of being with someone under him?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

You just got rid of an AD who was with the softball coach and now you want to bring in an AD who was accused of being with someone under him?

Better a top than a bottom.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 07:46:40 PM »
@SammyAlbano: What former @nba suit  @nyknicks coach & now conference exec has name in discussions for @StJohnsRedStorm AD job? Just asking!

Stu Jackson

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
@SammyAlbano: What former @nba suit  @nyknicks coach & now conference exec has name in discussions for @StJohnsRedStorm AD job? Just asking!

Stu Jackson
What????? Whoa.... that would be a good hire if it ever happens

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »

Stu Jackson
What????? Whoa.... that would be a good hire if it ever happens

What would make him a great hire?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
I sat next to Stu and I assume his wife at the Gonzaga game.

paultzman

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
I assume they need a legal guy in the meantime to sign on the new AD once he comes on board.