Obekpa is NOT returning

• 137 replies

paultzman

Re: Obekpa is NOT returning
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2015, 08:28:06 AM »
What a waste.  Kid was the best shot blocker in college ball easily, and one of the best I've ever seen in college ball.  If his attitude was better, the sky was the limit for the kid.

Agree, crazy sad

pmg911

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
What a waste.  Kid was the best shot blocker in college ball easily, and one of the best I've ever seen in college ball.  If his attitude was better, the sky was the limit for the kid.

Agree, crazy sad

Sad is not the word I would use in anything involving this kid...

Don't have any sympathy for the kid...   he is selfish & greedy..  he had an incredible opportunity to reset his image and he blew it.

Actions & Consequences clearly on display...  he should try to go to the D-League - work hard - and maybe something will change...

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
+1 PMG

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »
Unless he was either going to a top program like Kentucky or a place where they could of improved upon his scoring skill set, he should of stayed. As of right now, he's a 2nd round pick at best.
There is no way he would be drafted in either round.  Just no way.  Don't feel too sorry for him.  He is a prince in his country and his uncle is King.  So don't feel too sorry for him.  He is probably not a bad kid.  In fact I know he's not because I've talked with him a couple of times.  I think his problem was that he just had a lot of pride and he did not want to ever humble himself.  You might say he was spoiled.  He didn't  exactly fit in perfectly here after growing up in a palace on the other side of the world.  It made it more difficult for him to adjust to playing high major hoops in the USA.  A major cultural adjustment and he couldn't make it.

He is a prince.  I guess Charles Barkley wouldn't like him.  But there is no way he will ever be drafted after all his shannanigans here and his lack of offense.  Suspended for midnight madness, refusing to go into a game, ejections, more suspensions, and then not wanting to work hard under Mullin.  If he can't get the Univ. of Minnesota to take him then how would an NBA team?  Sorry, just not in the cards.

Moose

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
Unless he was either going to a top program like Kentucky or a place where they could of improved upon his scoring skill set, he should of stayed. As of right now, he's a 2nd round pick at best.
There is no way he would be drafted in either round.  Just no way.  Don't feel too sorry for him.  He is a prince in his country and his uncle is King.  So don't feel too sorry for him.  He is probably not a bad kid.  In fact I know he's not because I've talked with him a couple of times.  I think his problem was that he just had a lot of pride and he did not want to ever humble himself.  You might say he was spoiled.  He didn't  exactly fit in perfectly here after growing up in a palace on the other side of the world.  It made it more difficult for him to adjust to playing high major hoops in the USA.  A major cultural adjustment and he couldn't make it.

He is a prince.  I guess Charles Barkley wouldn't like him.  But there is no way he will ever be drafted after all his shannanigans here and his lack of offense.  Suspended for midnight madness, refusing to go into a game, ejections, more suspensions, and then not wanting to work hard under Mullin.  If he can't get the Univ. of Minnesota to take him then how would an NBA team?  Sorry, just not in the cards.

I'm sorry but Opekpa's uncle is a king????
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
I think he's confused...that was Eddie Murphy.

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/st_johns_freshman_chris_obekpa.html

Obekpa’s grandfather was king of the Idoma tribe. The Idoma (pronounced Ee-doh-ma) occupy much of Central Nigeria with a population of approximately 3 million. They trace their existence in the region back four to five thousand years.

Obekpa’s father, Gabriel, is a prince, while his uncle, Elias Ikeoyi Obekpa, is the current king. When asked if his uncle lives in an actual palace, Obekpa almost sheepishly replies, “Yes.’’
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:38:40 AM by stjohnnie75 »

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2015, 03:27:39 AM »
And he worked his summer job at Mcdowells.

Poison

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »

He has a rare ability. There is absolutely a chance he would be drafted. Just because he's immature is no reason to think he's not NBA material. If anything, that's a prerequisite.

Marillac

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/02/st_johns_freshman_chris_obekpa.html

Obekpa’s grandfather was king of the Idoma tribe. The Idoma (pronounced Ee-doh-ma) occupy much of Central Nigeria with a population of approximately 3 million. They trace their existence in the region back four to five thousand years.

Obekpa’s father, Gabriel, is a prince, while his uncle, Elias Ikeoyi Obekpa, is the current king. When asked if his uncle lives in an actual palace, Obekpa almost sheepishly replies, “Yes.’’

Well, there is where it all went wrong.  We signed a 6'9 Joffrey.

paultzman

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
@JonRothstein: St. John's transfer Chris Obekpa will visit UNLV on August 3rd and 4th, source told @CBSSports. One year of eligibility remaining.

TONYD3

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »
I hope we get to play obekpa.

Moose

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2015, 09:43:41 PM »
I hope we get to play obekpa.

We wont because he has to sit out.

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
looks like he's going to UNLV based on his instagram

https://instagram.com/p/6AtqeTCbqB/

Moose

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:13 PM »
looks like he's going to UNLV based on his instagram

https://instagram.com/p/6AtqeTCbqB/

Hope he doesnt gamble.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
One  year is long time of trying not get into trouble in Vegas...He was playing full time here and couldn't stay out of trouble.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
Might be the biggest dumbass in St John's basketball history

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
Its actually two years he'll have to stay out of trouble. The sit out year and then the playing year. A lot can happen in a town w medicinal marijuana clinics

CO figures as long as he doesn't get jumped again in the locker room, he's ahead of the game.

Moose

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »

That is quite a group of company.

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »

That is quite a group of company.

My All Dumbass team

Nuri Lindsey