2016 Primary Targets and Who'll Sign

• 12 replies
2016 Primary Targets and Who'll Sign
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
Are these St. John's primary target for 2016?
Shamorie Ponds
Rawle  Alkins
Kassoum  Yakwe
Mustapha Heron
Bashir Ahmed
My guess Ponds and Ahmed. What do you think?
Too many heavyweight getting on the trail of the other 3.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:32:08 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

Tiger

Re: 2016 Primary Targets and Who'll Sign
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
Aren't there 5 open spots?  SJU will need a center and a forward, more than they will need guards.  Therefore, from your list Ahmed and Yakwe will receive the most attention from the staff and thus most likely to commit  That's how I see it.  Never mind that Paultzman currently has Yakwe as his avatar.

ras

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. I like our targets. But a lot of guards and SFs . We definately need more bigs.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. I like our targets. But a lot of guards and SFs . We definately need more bigs.
in addition to Sima, don't forget Owens, who is sitting out this season. Williams can also play some PF. Additionally have Amar & hopefully Yakwe in 16.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
in addition to Sima, don't forget Owens, who is sitting out this season. Williams can also play some PF. Additionally have Amar & hopefully Yakwe in 16.

If those guys are all here, we need to focus on primary scoring options on the perimeter.  Ponds and Heron would fit the bill nicely.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:40:12 AM »

If those guys are all here, we need to focus on primary scoring options on the perimeter.  Ponds and Heron would fit the bill nicely.
Exactly

hnk

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
It would be nice to have at least one guy with size....height and muscle...and weight who can play.....

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »
This is from Facebook:

Adam Zagoria
2 hrs ·

Duke/Kentucky/Kansas continuing to offer and recruit the top players in NY / NJ like Mohamed Bamba, Trevon Duval and Rawle Alkins. Between those schools and Villanova and Syracuse, it will be hard for St. John's/Seton Hall/Rutgers to keep any of them home. Same old story really.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »
Hopefully, the team will lose it's mid major image sooner rather than later, so we can walk with these better programs.  I see it's not as easy as it looks.

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:17 PM »
This is from Facebook:

Adam Zagoria
2 hrs ·

Duke/Kentucky/Kansas continuing to offer and recruit the top players in NY / NJ like Mohamed Bamba, Trevon Duval and Rawle Alkins. Between those schools and Villanova and Syracuse, it will be hard for St. John's/Seton Hall/Rutgers to keep any of them home. Same old story really.

I agree with him and that's why Lavin's strategy wasnt a bad one to recruit nationally.  NYC may have added allure to players who do not call it home.

That said, there are many high schoolers who WANT to stay close to home or whose parents want them to and if St Johns is involved and front and center and looking like a legit program, perhaps that kid or two or three stays.  It may or may not be any of the big ones from this class, but it will happen.  Heck, it happened with Harkless not long ago.

"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »
What I've been waiting for is a St. John's  McDonald's' high school  All American. It has been a long time since we had one.

ras

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »
.  I'd love to get Yawke, sounds like Delgado type, and I did forget about Owens. That said , a lot of posters were hoping to bring along Sima slowly. W CO gone , he will be thrown to the fire. Fortunate, lately he got good exp this summer, and I believe he is up to the task.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
I personally always think you should hold 2 scholarships over for possible transfers.  Ideally 1 immediate guy to fill a need and 1 guy who sits out and learns for a year.  With the way these guys are all leaving their schools you can't be caught without a scholarship when the right opportunity arises.  This has always been a strength of Matt's and I hope he keeps it up.