Rothstein's "Less Than Mint BE Projections"

• 12 replies

paultzman

Rothstein's "Less Than Mint BE Projections"
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
@JonRothstein: Big East Offseason Power Rankings: Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier, Butler, Providence, Marquette, Seton Hall, Creighton, DePaul, St. John's.

@JonRothstein: Big East Preseason First Team: K. Dunn (PC), R. Arcidiacono (Nova), D. Smith-Rivera (Georgetown), R. Jones (Butler), D. Ochefu (Nova).

@JonRothstein: Big East Preseason Player of the Year: Kris Dunn, Providence.

@JonRothstein: 5 Impact Big East Transfers: T. Lewis (Butler), M. Watson (Creighton), C. Huff (Creighton), D. Johnson (SJU), D. Gordon (SHU).

@JonRothstein: 5 Under-The-Radar Big East Transfers: J. Gathers (BU), A. Agau (Gtown), B. Anderson (SHU), D. Williams (SJU), R. M'vouika (SJU).

@JonRothstein: 5 Impact Big East Freshman: J. Brunson (Nova), J. Govan (Gtown), M. Derrickson (Gtown), H. Ellenson (Marquette), H. Cheatham (Marquette).

@JonRothstein: 5 Under-The-Radar Big East Freshman: K. Johnson (Gtown), T. Carter (Marquette), M. Ellison (SJU), E. Sumner (Xavier), J. Patton (Creighton).

@JonRothstein: 5 Big East Breakout Guys: I. Copeland (Gtown), J.P. Macura (Xavier), B. Bentil (PC), T. Wideman (Butler), K. Jenkins (Nova).
I assume he does not include Sima & LoVett because they are not yet eligible.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:23:14 AM by paultzman »

Tha Kid

Re: Rothstein's "Less Than Mint BE Projections"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
At least he's not setting the bar too high for us. :/
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
@JonRothstein: The latest @CBSSports looks at Five Offseason Questions In The Big East: http://t.co/ES7eziIFZc

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:50:04 AM »
I don't believe we'll finish in last place, if Sima (should be fine) and LoVett are eligible.  I'd place us between 7th (with a few lucky bounces) to 8th with those two being eligible to participate.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
Picking SJU last is reasonable.  Could see us finishing ahead of DePaul and Creighton, but I do not see a team that is definitely worse than us.  I am prepared for a long season and will look forward to watching the young guys develop.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
Picking SJU last is reasonable.  Could see us finishing ahead of DePaul and Creighton, but I do not see a team that is definitely worse than us.  I am prepared for a long season and will look forward to watching the young guys develop.

+1

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
At this point, isn't LoVett elgible?  I know a lot of us are scared because of our past problems but maybe we are finally going to catch a break.  The kid seems motivated to play this year and he apparently has the needed scores.  It seems like a matter of his courses being accepted and while I don't quite understand how that all works I feel like if that was the case we could have handled it this summer. 

From what I know about our coaching staff this will just motivate them and they will use this as bulletin board material.  We aren't going to be as young a team as people think and while we may not be big enough we will almost always have atleast 4 guys on the floor who can shoot 3's at a high percentage.
As I understand it, LoVett's transcript must pass muster with NCAA Clearinghouse process.  Kids, who attend multiple high schools like Marcus, go through this routinely. I suspect we will know one way or the other in August. Hopefully staff's optimism is on the money.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:17:13 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
At this point, isn't LoVett elgible?  I know a lot of us are scared because of our past problems but maybe we are finally going to catch a break.  The kid seems motivated to play this year and he apparently has the needed scores.  It seems like a matter of his courses being accepted and while I don't quite understand how that all works I feel like if that was the case we could have handled it this summer. 

From what I know about our coaching staff this will just motivate them and they will use this as bulletin board material.  We aren't going to be as young a team as people think and while we may not be big enough we will almost always have atleast 4 guys on the floor who can shoot 3's at a high percentage.
As I understand it, LoVett's transcript must pass muster with NCAA clearing house process.  Kids, who attend multiple high schools like Marcus, go through this routinely. I suspect we will know one way or the other in August. Hopefully staff's optimism is on the money.

I'm just always so baffled by this.  As a teacher myself I've seen the worst of students find a way to get through if they really want to.  I've taught summer school and an online course that the NCAA accepts and in some cases seen kids double/triple up if they have to.  I just don't get how in this day and age a kid can't qualify. 

QuanMan

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 11:02:33 PM »
Fresh out of the gate the entire program is gifted with bulletin board material, teleport me to November.
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:57 AM »
If everyone qualifies I would guarantee we don't finish in last. We are extremely young and very inexperienced but talent usually wins out. Without any additions I say we finish between 6th and 8th.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »
I have no problem being ranked last.  It's a total rebuild.  I understand that.  I don't think we wil end the year last though if everybody is qualified because there is some talent here.  Our base is going to be quite good and we have guys that can shoot.  With a shorter shot clock, having as many shooters as we have will only help, and Sima is a much more offensively capable center than anybody we have had in a while.  Will be fun to start a new era regardless.  People shouldn't expect the world this year but I think it will be a fun season anyway.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
I have no problem being ranked last.  It's a total rebuild.  I understand that.  I don't think we wil end the year last though if everybody is qualified because there is some talent here.  Our base is going to be quite good and we have guys that can shoot.  With a shorter shot clock, having as many shooters as we have will only help, and Sima is a much more offensively capable center than anybody we have had in a while.  Will be fun to start a new era regardless.  People shouldn't expect the world this year but I think it will be a fun season anyway.
+1  With LoVett & Sima, could be a fun watch & foundation for future success.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:04:46 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
Picking Butler fourth shows how clueless he is.  There is no possible way they slide past third if they are not ruined by injury.  They could be an Elite Eight team. SJU will not be last and will even compete for a tournament berth if everyone is healthy and eligible and the staff can sign Yakwe for 15.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:27:53 AM by Marillac »