Georgetown Beats St. John’s In A Rout, 67-51

Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

The St. John’s Red Storm (9-7, 1-3) would look to get their second Big East upset of the season today as they hosted the #19 Georgetown Hoyas (11-3, 1-2) at Madison Square Garden.

With their recent victory over #14 Cincinnati, the Red Storm are 1-1 in games against ranked opponents, with the loss coming against #16 Baylor.

Chris Obekpa got his first block of the game two minutes in, thus setting the new St. John’s single season block record. Obekpa’s swat was number 77 on the season in just 16 games. He would finish the contest with 6.

As things have gone recently on the offensive end however, St. John’s could not get off to a strong start. They managed just two points off of JaKarr Sampson free throws in the first 3 and a half minutes of the game.

Sampson did finally get the Storm a field goal, but it was Georgetown who would have the lead. Due to just 2-9 shooting and 3 turnovers, the Storm trailed 13-6 after 7 minutes of play.

Following a Jamal Branch basket to cut the Georgetown lead to five, the Hoyas would go on a 14-0 run. At the 8 minute mark of the first, St. John’s was down big 27-8.

D’Angelo Harrison ended that run with his first points of the game, but Georgetown would quickly go on another shutout run of the Storm. With 6 to go the rout was on, and the Hoyas led 33-10.

Things would not get much better as the first half ended, with Georgetown still leading by a large margin of  36-19. St. John’s was out-rebounded 17-13, while the Hoyas also had the assist advantage, 10-3.

Obekpa had 5 blocks in the first, including one heading straight for the highlight reels. But it was Otto Potter Jr. who would be the player of notice, with 13 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assist and 2 steals. Harrison had just 4 points off of 2-6 shooting.

Nate Lubick had a high flying dunk to extend the Georgetown lead coming out of the half, giving the Hoyas a 47-24 lead after 4 minutes. Markel Starks and Otto Porter also contributed to building the Hoyas lead.

There would be a minor confrontation between Harrison and Porter 6 minutes into the second. They had to be separated by officials and Harrison would go to the free throw line, missing one of two shots. A few minutes later Pointer and Starks were called for fouls after getting locked up under the net. With 10 left in the game, the Hoyas led 53-31.

With 2 minutes to go St. John’s hit their first three pointer of the day off of a Jamal Branch shot. Sir’Dom Pointer and Branch would each add another, and they would finish the day 3-16 from downtown.

There wasn’t much else good to come in the half for the Storm, and they would eventually fall 67-51. Porter would finish with an 19 point, 14 rebound double double. Harrison had a season low 7 points off of a 3-12 shooting line while Jamal Branch had a career high 16.

St. John’s will look to finish out their home-stand on a high note January 15 as the #19 Notre Dame Fighting Irish come to the Garden.

Leave a Reply