JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies
Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2014, 11:30:33 AM »
Kid played hard and just didn't want to be in school anymore. Whether it was to play basketball overseas( if Geno could get paid to play, someone in some country will pay Jakar!), get a "real job" or just wander the Earth like the dude from Kung Fu, good luck to him. Poison is just bitter he left here, he does this to everyone who leaves early.

Actually, no. I'm not bitter he left here. I'm bitter that this kid thinks he's better off playing in Malaysia than staying in school, getting better at basketball and getting his degree. Many of you think a bachelors degree doesn't mean much anymore. How valuable do you think a college dropout is to any employer?

Jakarr was invited to the 76ers summer league. Let's see how he does.

I am sure Jakar and his people have a better understanding of his situation than anyone on this board. If he was happy here, going to school or both I am sure he would have stayed. Good luck!

Just like Erick Barkley's people and Omar Cook's people did for them.

Barkley got paid.
Cook's was a real bad decision financially. He would have been drafted in 1st round if he stayed another year or so.
Jakar knew he wasn't going to get drafted and opted out for his own reasons anyway. Honestly I really do not think staying a year or more would have helped him anyway. Would have helped SJU basketball program 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:31:11 AM by we are sju »

desco80

« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
Kid played hard and just didn't want to be in school anymore. Whether it was to play basketball overseas( if Geno could get paid to play, someone in some country will pay Jakar!), get a "real job" or just wander the Earth like the dude from Kung Fu, good luck to him. Poison is just bitter he left here, he does this to everyone who leaves early.

Actually, no. I'm not bitter he left here. I'm bitter that this kid thinks he's better off playing in Malaysia than staying in school, getting better at basketball and getting his degree. Many of you think a bachelors degree doesn't mean much anymore. How valuable do you think a college dropout is to any employer?

Jakarr was invited to the 76ers summer league. Let's see how he does.

I am sure Jakar and his people have a better understanding of his situation than anyone on this board. If he was happy here, going to school or both I am sure he would have stayed. Good luck!

Just like Erick Barkley's people and Omar Cook's people did for them.

Barkley got paid.
Cook's was a real bad decision financially. He would have been drafted in 1st round if he stayed another year or so.
Jakar knew he wasn't going to get drafted and opted out for his own reasons anyway. Honestly I really do not think staying a year or more would have helped him anyway. Would have helped SJU basketball program

+1, I absolutely agree wasju.
The tragedy here,  if there is one,  is that jakarr doesn't enjoy going to school.
  As far as a basketball decision, this is at worst a wash.  He's no better or worse off basketball - wise then if he played another 2 years here. 

Foad

« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »
We watched Jakarr play this season, and a good deal of the time, he didn't even know what kind of defense he was supposed to be playing. That's not a coach in the making IMO.

At least one great BB mind disagrees with you:

"In 1997, it was at its best. The great thing was the timeouts. Charles (O'Bannon) would say, 'What are we in?' And two guys would say, 'We're in quicksand,' and the other three would say, 'We're in man-to-man.' I'd say, 'Good. That's how we want it."'

-- Steve Lavin

I understand the rationale for leaving from the player's POV. He could blow out his knee next season, and end his basketball playing career. But what if he doesn't get drafted, and doesn't get very much interest overseas? Then what? No degree. Very little basketball money, and no future, and for what? Because he couldn't wait until he was ready?

Ready for what according to who? To be an NBA player according to you (and NBA scouts evidently)? He's ready from his perspective to be a professional basketball player. Good for him.

Poison

« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
We watched Jakarr play this season, and a good deal of the time, he didn't even know what kind of defense he was supposed to be playing. That's not a coach in the making IMO.

At least one great BB mind disagrees with you:

"In 1997, it was at its best. The great thing was the timeouts. Charles (O'Bannon) would say, 'What are we in?' And two guys would say, 'We're in quicksand,' and the other three would say, 'We're in man-to-man.' I'd say, 'Good. That's how we want it."'

-- Steve Lavin

I understand the rationale for leaving from the player's POV. He could blow out his knee next season, and end his basketball playing career. But what if he doesn't get drafted, and doesn't get very much interest overseas? Then what? No degree. Very little basketball money, and no future, and for what? Because he couldn't wait until he was ready?

Ready for what according to who? To be an NBA player according to you (and NBA scouts evidently)? He's ready from his perspective to be a professional basketball player. Good for him.

Ready to play at a high enough level of college basketball so that a pro team that could pay him the wage he expects to make would actually hire him. That kind of ready. Right now, he's a good BE player. No better.

« Reply #284 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »
Omar Cook made millions playing basketball overseas.  His leaving town hurt St John's bigtime...but him?  Not so much.

http://www.slamonline.com/other-ballers/omar-cook-one-consequence/

Marillac

« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
Omar Cook made millions playing basketball overseas.  His leaving town hurt St John's bigtime...but him?  Not so much.

http://www.slamonline.com/other-ballers/omar-cook-one-consequence/

Cook and Sampson are really different situations to me.  Cook had a legit shot to be a first rounder (picked #32) and was a lock to be drafted--some even thought he could be the first PG taken--while Sampson had no prayer.   Cook was two years younger, and was able to play top Euro ball level. No matter what he was going to get paid a lot.  Cook's draft was weak overall and one of the weakest drafts for guards in the history of the NBA.  Sampson's draft was very strong--strongest at his position.

Everyone just assumes Cook would have been a lottery pick the next year.  He wasn't a great shooter or athlete and lacked ideal size...that wasn't going to change in a year.  He was already passing at an elite level as a frosh (8.7 assist per game!)...his stock could have very well been at its highest then.  After your soph year, improvement and skills become more important that potential. 

The 2001 draft was one of the weakest drafts for guards in the history of the NBA.  The first PG taken, Raul Lopez of Spain, was at #24.  The first player under 6'6, Joseph Forte, wasn't taken auntil  #21.  This was the Kwame Brown/Eddie Griffin/Eddie Curry draft.  The following year, Jay Williams was the first PG at #2 and Dejaun Wager was taken #6. I was at that draft too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NBA_draft
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:32:21 PM by Marillac »

pmg911

SJUFAN

« Reply #288 on: July 02, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3821

What makes his decision bad wasn't because he left college. His decision was bad because he thought he was going to get drafted in the first or second round. Those of you who think he left with the thoughts of persuing his dream of playing in Turkey are fooling yourselves. 

Poison

« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=3821

What makes his decision bad wasn't because he left college. His decision was bad because he thought he was going to get drafted in the first or second round. Those of you who think he left with the thoughts of persuing his dream of playing in Turkey are fooling yourselves. 

IDK if they are fooling themselves as much as they just suck at math.

TONYD3

« Reply #290 on: July 06, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
Sampson played least on his team. scored 1 point. Ron roberts started had 12 points 9 rebounds

« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
Sampson played least on his team. scored 1 point. Ron roberts started had 12 points 9 rebounds

I think in Summer league play they give certain players the majority of the mins in alternating games. Sampson should get those mins next game

paultzman

« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »
Fwiw;

@kc1nyk: #stats #76ers-#Rockets Line of the Game: #FreeAgency Undrafted Rookie SF-SG JaKarr Sampson for #Sixers: 13 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk, 3 stl.

Foad

« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2014, 01:52:56 PM »
Fwiw;

@kc1nyk: #stats #76ers-#Rockets Line of the Game: #FreeAgency Undrafted Rookie SF-SG JaKarr Sampson for #Sixers: 13 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk, 3 stl.

I see that two players from the D league were selected in this year's draft, including PG Harrison in the first round. In light of that Sampson's decision to pursue his own basketball education full time while playing BB for money makes some sense. Especially considering who he'd have been learning basketball from had he remained in school.

Poison

« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »
Fwiw;

I see that two players from the D league were selected in this year's draft, including PG Harrison in the first round. In light of that Sampson's decision to pursue his own basketball education full time while playing BB for money makes some sense. Especially considering who he'd have been learning basketball from had he remained in school.

It does make some sense. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. So the NBDL produced 2 NBA players in this past draft. That's not a ringing endorsement for their ability to develop players. How much money will Sampson be making? $20,000? $25,000? If STJ costs 60K per year, a student would need to have approximately $120K to pay for one year of college. Seems to me like the value of the NBDL in terms of both NBA opportunity and money is pretty bad.

A much better option would be Italy, France or Spain. Walter Berry made over a million dollars a year.
But then again, this is Jakarr Sampson. It sure ain't The Truth.

Foad

« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
Fwiw;

It does make some sense. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. So the NBDL produced 2 NBA players in this past draft. That's not a ringing endorsement for their ability to develop players. How much money will Sampson be making? $20,000? $25,000? If STJ costs 60K per year, a student would need to have approximately $120K to pay for one year of college. Seems to me like the value of the NBDL in terms of both NBA opportunity and money is pretty bad.

A much better option would be Italy, France or Spain. Walter Berry made over a million dollars a year.

I agree that Jakarr Sampson is not as good as just about the best player SJU ever produced (what? Chris who?) and that it is unlikely that he will make Berry money. It is also unlikely that he will ever be as good as Berry, no matter how many years he stays in school and how many PhDs he gets. I agree that he would make more money in Europe than the D league. My only point was that between staying in school for one more year hoping to get drafted after learning BB part time from Coach Tesla and hoping to get drafted after studying BB full time from dedicated personal trainers, strength coaches, and whoever else while getting paid, the former doesn't seem to be that bad an idea. As usual YMMV.

He can always go to college. He can always get a crappy degree from a crappy school like SJ. He is just as likely to break his leg in the D league as in the BE. There is no right answer. College is overrated and most people are too stupid to learn anyway. Increasingly I find the examined life is not worth living all together and all of it is shit. If that's the case, why not bounce a ball and bang some milk fed Montana cheerleaders and take advantage of the  $40 per diem. Maybe he hates school. Maybe he hates Lavin. Maybe he hates red and antediluvian sweater mythology. Maybe he hates redman dot com. Maybe he's doing what he wants. Maybe he's happy. Maybe all in all he'd rather be in Philadelphia. Maybe you're projecting your expectations onto a kid who doesn't share them, or maybe your prejudices. Maybe I maybe am. There's lots of maybes, which maybe he is in the best position to analyze, because maybe it's his life.

You all say he stinks in one breath and in the other that one more year of seasoning and he'll play himself into a lottery pick. None of this scans.  It's like he raped a nun or something.

« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2014, 05:06:49 PM »
Fwiw;

I agree that Jakarr Sampson is not as good as just about the best player SJU ever produced (what? Chris who?) and that it is unlikely that he will make Berry money. It is also unlikely that he will ever be as good as Berry, no matter how many years he stays in school and how many PhDs he gets. I agree that he would make more money in Europe than the D league. My only point was that between staying in school for one more year hoping to get drafted after learning BB part time from Coach Tesla and hoping to get drafted after studying BB full time from dedicated personal trainers, strength coaches, and whoever else while getting paid, the former doesn't seem to be that bad an idea. As usual YMMV.

He can always go to college. He can always get a crappy degree from a crappy school like SJ. He is just as likely to break his leg in the D league as in the BE. There is no right answer. College is overrated and most people are too stupid to learn anyway. Increasingly I find the examined life is not worth living all together and all of it is shit. If that's the case, why not bounce a ball and bang some milk fed Montana cheerleaders and take advantage of the  $40 per diem. Maybe he hates school. Maybe he hates Lavin. Maybe he hates red and antediluvian sweater mythology. Maybe he hates redman dot com. Maybe he's doing what he wants. Maybe he's happy. Maybe all in all he'd rather be in Philadelphia. Maybe you're projecting your expectations onto a kid who doesn't share them, or maybe your prejudices. Maybe I maybe am. There's lots of maybes, which maybe he is in the best position to analyze, because maybe it's his life.

You all say he stinks in one breath and in the other that one more year of seasoning and he'll play himself into a lottery pick. None of this scans.  It's like he raped a nun or something.

Foad - never stop posting, love your takes!

Chilleb

« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Can't make a freethrow aside from that, he's played well in summer league. But I think his ft% is like below 20.

Poison

« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
Fwiw;

Taking a salary of 20-25K, of which you'll take home 14K means that you're living either right around, or under the poverty line in place of essentially making 120K a year, which isn't bad for any 21 year old kid. STJ might be a crappy school. (I don't think it's so bad) But at that price, I'd agree with you. Still, it beats the hell out of no degree at all.

And again, I'm not suggesting that with one more year he'd get drafted. I don't think he's ever getting drafted, or making the league.
Choosing the NBDL over Europe or college is where I see the error in judgement. If it's money he wants, then go to Europe and make it.

Foad

« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Fwiw;

Taking a salary of 20-25K, of which you'll take home 14K means that you're living either right around, or under the poverty line in place of essentially making 120K a year, which isn't bad for any 21 year old kid. STJ might be a crappy school. (I don't think it's so bad) But at that price, I'd agree with you. Still, it beats the hell out of no degree at all.

And again, I'm not suggesting that with one more year he'd get drafted. I don't think he's ever getting drafted, or making the league.
Choosing the NBDL over Europe or college is where I see the error in judgement. If it's money he wants, then go to Europe and make it.

The D league schedule is 50 games in < 6 months. At 25 K plus housing, benefits and per diem it's a well paying part time job.