Keith Thomas Impact

• 182 replies
Re: Keith Thomas Impact
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Seems like the St. John's staff had to have known Thomas' transcript was fake and was just hoping not to get caught.

That's so low down stuff...Harsh man, harsh

« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
Put the 5 best players on the floor, regardless of position

That may work in CYO but when height and size becomes important to things like rebounding, not so much.

What has worked here the last few years?

Tha Kid

« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »

That may work in CYO but when height and size becomes important to things like rebounding, not so much.

The liquor stores selling high end bourbon near Keady's apartment?
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
Not that he is a replacement for Thomas at present but could the "Late" recruiting of Amar been a result of the potentiality of irregularities with respect to Keith's records.  While Amar will not get all of Keith's projected minutes but maybe he goes from 4mpg to 15mpg and ADR goes from 5 to 14 and Joey goes from 2 to 6.  Must do a novena for CO to remain healthy, strong and foul free as he will get as many minutes as he can handle

I think Amar will need to be a PF. Thankfully, he's a much bigger dude than I thought. He might not board like Thomas, but he'll score more than him.

That's also what I was thinking (and hoping).

Write this down:  Amar will get Bourgault minutes.   

We don't have the luxury.

He didn't strike me as a liability on either side of the ball in his limited minutes against the DII team,   Anyone think otherwise? 

Yes.  He looked petrified when he had the ball.  Afraid to take a dribble.  Hopefully just opening day jitters.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  After last season, I never want to see my bigs dribbling again.  I wish Dom would get the same fear.

« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »

Thought I read one time he drinks Makers Mark which is nothing special

desco80

« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Not that he is a replacement for Thomas at present but could the "Late" recruiting of Amar been a result of the potentiality of irregularities with respect to Keith's records.  While Amar will not get all of Keith's projected minutes but maybe he goes from 4mpg to 15mpg and ADR goes from 5 to 14 and Joey goes from 2 to 6.  Must do a novena for CO to remain healthy, strong and foul free as he will get as many minutes as he can handle

I think Amar will need to be a PF. Thankfully, he's a much bigger dude than I thought. He might not board like Thomas, but he'll score more than him.

He didn't strike me as a liability on either side of the ball in his limited minutes against the DII team,   Anyone think otherwise? 

Yes.  He looked petrified when he had the ball.  Afraid to take a dribble.  Hopefully just opening day jitters.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?  After last season, I never want to see my bigs dribbling again.  I wish Dom would get the same fear.

Who dribbled the ball too much last season?     I'm guessing you're going to say your favorite whipping-boys Sampson and Sanchez, but I don't think that's true.
The big exception is Sanchez on fast breaks, he had a bad habit of not giving up the ball.  But I think that's because the staff encourages the bigs to start the break after they grab a defensive rebound.  Lavin has more or less said so in interviews.     

« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2014, 06:56:07 PM »

I wasn't looking for Marcus Haynes but to me he looked tight.  Would like a big, particularly one that's not a 7 ft. center, to be able to take an occasional dribble or two to relieve pressure.

« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »

Thought I read one time he drinks Makers Mark which is nothing special

Makers Mark taste good.  I used to be a T-bird, Cisco and Oe kind of guy but now I'm changing.

Marillac

« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

Who dribbled the ball too much last season?       

Is this a serious question?  Pointer, Sanchez, and Sampson dribbled the ball up court completely out of control all year. 

boo3

« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Lavin told them to, silly...

Branch should be starting PG,  Harrison and Jordan play wings..
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:24:44 PM by boo3 »

desco80

« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Lavin told them to, silly...

Branch should be starting PG,  Harrison and Jordan play wings..

Our coach specifically said that one of the things he liked about his team was that his bigs were so versatile that they could start the break after a rebound.

Also, he played adm at point guard.   I didnt.  Moose didnt.  Dom didn't anoint himself a pg.
Steve Lavin told us all last summer that dom had worked hard and would be playing some point. 

But honestly Marillac, I don't consider the bigs handling the ball too often as being among our top 5 problems last season.    Their lack of ability to set hard screens though, was definitely a big problem.  On that we agree.

desco80

« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I'm with you on the lineup though Boo.
Branch, Harrison, Jordan, a warm body, and Obekpa. 

« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2014, 07:41:03 PM »
Branch, Harrison,Jordan, Greene and Obekpa. And don't stop running
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:42:09 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »
Pointer might be more useful if he's told to play on the block..rebound and follow shots on the offensive glass..  No need for him to be patrolling the 3 point perimeter anyway..

Greene is good off the bench..  Hopefully Christian Jones can fill some solid minutes at the 4... Scary that he suddenly becomes , maybe, the most important player on the team this year.

boo3

« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
 Take the PG responsibilities away from Jordan.. Tell him his job is the score for this team... Let Branch distribute...  2 lethal wings...  I think it's the way to go...100%

paultzman

« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
Take the PG responsibilities away from Jordan.. Tell him his job is the score for this team... Let Branch distribute...  2 lethal wings...  I think it's the way to go...100%

Agree 100%

desco80

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
Well this can't be good.   Too much of us are in agreement.    If Fordham were to concur, I'd know not to bother going to work tomorrow because the end would clearly be near. 

Poison

« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »

Who dribbled the ball too much last season?     I'm guessing you're going to say your favorite whipping-boys Sampson and Sanchez, but I don't think that's true.
The big exception is Sanchez on fast breaks, he had a bad habit of not giving up the ball.  But I think that's because the staff encourages the bigs to start the break after they grab a defensive rebound.  Lavin has more or less said so in interviews.     

Sampson had a habit of grabbing a defensive board and going to coast to coast and trying to score. Sanchez would bring it up. Against the crappy teams, he usually played very well.

pmg911

« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
Where is Keith and is Saint John's helping him. Are did they just cut ties?

Who cares to be honest and I certainly hope SJU cut ties with the kid..?

He lied to the school and doesn't deserve to get any help from SJU moving forward.

That said..    two local assistants have told me that people back off recruiting Thomas because they never thought he would get passed the NCAA and gain eligibility.

Having this blow up before he ever stepped on the court was better at this point.

« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2014, 08:50:02 AM »
Where is Keith and is Saint John's helping him. Are did they just cut ties?

Who cares to be honest and I certainly hope SJU cut ties with the kid..?

He lied to the school and doesn't deserve to get any help from SJU moving forward.

That said..    two local assistants have told me that people back off recruiting Thomas because they never thought he would get passed the NCAA and gain eligibility.

Having this blow up before he ever stepped on the court was better at this point.

Agreed, yet since he was cleared by the NCAA eligibility-wise I don't think the school would have been held liable if he had played this year.

Just best to move on IMO.