Keith Thomas Impact

• 182 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Keith Thomas Impact
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
Comical.   

Saw something about Briscoe leaning Kentucky.  Why wouldn't he?
Not great news, but if it really matters to IB, it could be looked at as a positive if he thinks Thomas would be with him two years instead of one.

not to say he's even thinking about this, but not as big a deal as we might think.

No way Thomas ever suits up for SJU if he knew and was involved in this scadal

How could he not know? He knew, hoped he would get away with it but got caught, end of story, If he is good he may suit up for us next year as a partial qualifier, if he's not able to help the team he won't. This is college athletics.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:29:58 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
The Red Storm?? Since the Lavin era began how about the Red Clowns?? What a joke of a program.

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
The Red Storm?? Since the Lavin era began how about the Red Clowns?? What a joke of a program.

Contingent on your application for the mascot position
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
  I'm a Briscoe to UK away from not giving 2 craps about this program anymore.

DFF6

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »

Looks like you're about to save two craps.

Briscoe is absolutely hearing all of this, and given our chances of landing him were always contingent on what the team would look like when he came here, losing Thomas can't help our chances.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2014, 07:33:09 PM »
Also the new President sees this and I wonder how this impacts Lavin's contract. The new President is taking a look on how SJU has been doing business over the last 20years and finding. Ways to eliminate waste, and improve the way the school runs.

-The fact that every year under Lavin some kind of player issues has developed is a concern, and detracts from SJU and the team.
-SJU is about to be on he same position on when Lavin took over, which is a bunch of open scholarships so a new coach can build (again) the program the way that he wants it too.
-not having a back plan to begin with shows a gap somewhere. If Thomas had a season ending injury SJU would still be in the same position, except not as embarrassed.
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:35 PM »
A couple of things that I don't understand about this story:

1) How does an assistant coach even have the opportunity to forge a transcript?  Transcript requests go straight to the registrars office, are filled there, and sent directly to the new school. Transcripts never cross the coaches' desks, if they did half of the athletes in the NCAA would have fraudulent documents.

2) I agree that this was largely beyond the purview of SJU's compliance office.  But the allegations against the famu players is that they took only 1 class and their transcripts said they earned a full degree.   That's not a slightly altered document, that's essentially never taking any classes.
If something like that occurred, it begs the question: how do you recruit a player for 6 months or longer, visit him repeatedly, speak to the people around him, his coaches and family, and not know that the guy isn't taking any classes??   Not having any credits is very very different than being a class or two short of the eligibility requirements.

Right now the Florida atlantic staff looks like fools for this reason.  Hopefully Keith is a more honest student, and he's just being looked into because of his association with wcc.

Do you know what WCC stands for?
It's known as We Can't Count.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »

Great comeback. The truth must really hurt eh Buddy?  That's what most of the country thinks about the Lavin circus that is now your  program. It has evolved into what it is and unfortunately it is what it is. With all of the hoopla and coverage SJU receives your program is the epitome of underachievement and has been so for years. I wish that such was not the case. It lacks integrity. It's a black mark on your school. Learn to live with it Pal.

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
Yeah right.  Gimme a break.  Most of the country doesn't even know who coaches St Johns.  Try another tactic buddy.

Moose

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Yeah right.  Gimme a break.  Most of the country doesn't even know who coaches St Johns.  Try another tactic buddy.

St. John's!
In Minnesota right?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »
Also the new President sees this and I wonder how this impacts Lavin's contract. The new President is taking a look on how SJU has been doing business over the last 20years and finding. Ways to eliminate waste, and improve the way the school runs.

-The fact that every year under Lavin some kind of player issues has developed is a concern, and detracts from SJU and the team.
-SJU is about to be on he same position on when Lavin took over, which is a bunch of open scholarships so a new coach can build (again) the program the way that he wants it too.
-not having a back plan to begin with shows a gap somewhere. If Thomas had a season ending injury SJU would still be in the same position, except not as embarrassed.
Would not be in same position as when Lavin took over. Yes open schollies for new coach but at least in Lavin's first year he was left with 9 seniors that made the tournament while Lavin would be leaving a bottom feeding roster for the next coach. Who would have thought Lavin may be leaving the program in worse shape than our beloved Norm did.

boo3

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:28 PM »
 Time for Christian Jones to step up...  Now we need him play...

cjfish

« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
Ive been an SJU fan forever but this latest disgraceful episode could cause me to rethink.  The GARRETT/PELLE/SAMPSON year was bad but a lesson should have been learned.  Lavin and his staff should be canned, sooner rather then later.  Try recruiting good kids from good schools with decent reputations and this would not happen.  If you are looking at a 23 year old with a record who didn't finish HS you should be interviewing everyone, particularly people from his hometown and HS.  Find out what kind of kid he is and act accordingly, which often means not putting an offer on the table.  Investigating a kid's background etc is not that difficult.  Lavin and Co. are looking worse Calipari.       

« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »

Briscoe is absolutely hearing all of this, and given our chances of landing him were always contingent on what the team would look like when he came here, losing Thomas can't help our chances.
Don't think Keith Tomas is the reason Briscoe comes here or doesn't.  Lavin needs to show him that there will be quality players on next years roster.  If Briscoe leads us in getting Diallo and Sampson i think will be just fine.

If not I will join you in the crapper.

« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2014, 08:36:52 PM »
If you want to win you have to take risks.

I don't think Providence fans mind Ed Cooley swinging and missing on a few recruits in exchange for Big East championship.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »

If I texted Briscoe right now and asked him who Keith Thomas was he'd have no clue.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »

Most of the country doesn't have any respect for your once proud program. With everything your program has to offer (The Big East, MSG, New York City, the media coverage) go get a young Turk of a coach and dump the current regime. Lavin can recruit. No doubt about it but he can't coach them up. He can't coach a lick. When Dumlap left the team went down the tubes. You would be better off with less but more cohesive talent. Cluess, Mihalich, Willard, Masiello, Ferry (when at LIU) are all better at getting the most out of their teams than Lavin. Lavin is better than Pecora I'll give you that.

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »

Great comeback. The truth must really hurt eh Buddy?  That's what most of the country thinks about the Lavin circus that is now your  program. It has evolved into what it is and unfortunately it is what it is. With all of the hoopla and coverage SJU receives your program is the epitome of underachievement and has been so for years. I wish that such was not the case. It lacks integrity. It's a black mark on your school. Learn to live with it Pal.

Oh god, for an internet tough guy who goes on a message board of a team he doesnt like just to hate on them, you sure are soft.

And trust me, I dont have to learn to live with it. If we ever get back to the winning days this program once saw that will be something ill have to get used to. You dont need to tell st johns fans that the program hasnt been successful. Thats like telling UNC they have some academic issues to take care of.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »

What team do you root for?

« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »

What team do you root for?
He's an Iona fan. Don't feed