Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas Game Thread

• 55 replies
Re: Exhibition - St. Thomas Aquinas Game Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 10:32:40 PM »
I honestly think they should consider using Stewart or Henderson on the wing this year. Jones has not earned the PT he's getting, and if he's not going board, and d up, I'd rather have player out there who is just a good overall baller.

In the first half guys like Pointer and Branch were running only to have each other waiting on the wings to shout a 3. But in the second half, we Jordan, Pointer and Branch finding Greene, Harrison, Stewart and Henderson for open threes in transition. This is how we can win games, but we need guys who can knock down these shots.

Documenting this so if it ever happens we can laugh when you immediately hate it.

Hah. Please do. You can document that I like both Stewart and Henderson. It's early, so we'll see about Jones. He's looked pretty awful so far. Hopefully, it's rust.

I don't think Jones looks awful. Just looks like he lacks confidence and experience. From what I've seen in two games..

Positives
-Jones has a nice midrange J
-Elevates well on jumper
-Solid handle for player his size
-Runs the floor well

Negatives
-Doesn't show the motor needed on consistent basis
-Not an aggressive rebounder
-Not a shot blocking presence (hands down at side far too often)
-Gets down on himself quick
-Runs harder in offensive transition than defensive
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
Jones has some skills, but we need things like rebounding, energy and an interior presence from him.  Those can be brought every night, in theory.  I'm hoping it is just taking him sometime given the redshirt last year and knee injury.

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
The good...Adonis looks like he can help spell Obekpa...no matter what shape he's in.  He looks like a first team all city player.  Soft hands...soft touch at the free throw line and in his post up moves.

The bad...Jones looked lost...his minutes should be limited.  In fact, Lavin should go with no more than eight or nine guys...leaving Amar, Jones, possibly Balamou and the walkons on the bench until garbage time.

The ugly...slow start with STAC hitting threes at will while our guys struggled.  Thankfully, they got it together in the second half.

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 12:56:03 AM »
St. Thomas Aquinas today, sounds like a cyo team. It would be nice to blow out these scrubs and give the guys a little boost of confidence to head into the season. My hope for this game is that Jordan shows more patience and gets the ball to obekpa and Harrison in good positions to score. I'm also interested to see if either amar or jones can establish himself as the clear second option at the 4. Amar won the first round by default, but I can't imagine jones looking as bad today.

St Thomas Aquinas IS a CYO team, it is the same CYO team that Chris Mullin played for. I assumed that's why we scheduled them lol

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
I honestly think they should consider using Stewart or Henderson on the wing this year. Jones has not earned the PT he's getting, and if he's not going board, and d up, I'd rather have player out there who is just a good overall baller.

In the first half guys like Pointer and Branch were running only to have each other waiting on the wings to shout a 3. But in the second half, we Jordan, Pointer and Branch finding Greene, Harrison, Stewart and Henderson for open threes in transition. This is how we can win games, but we need guys who can knock down these shots.

Documenting this so if it ever happens we can laugh when you immediately hate it.

Hah. Please do. You can document that I like both Stewart and Henderson. It's early, so we'll see about Jones. He's looked pretty awful so far. Hopefully, it's rust.

I don't think Jones looks awful. Just looks like he lacks confidence and experience. From what I've seen in two games..

Positives
-Elevates well on jumper
-Runs the floor well

Negatives

Its weird, Jones box's out strong but doesnt go for the boards strong. On offense, he posts up strong but doesn't try to finish strong. Im still his biggest fan, he is the only offensive pf that we have.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »

Positives
-Elevates well on jumper
-Runs the floor well

Negatives

Like I said earlier, or possibly in another thread, if his play is due to his knee, fine. If it's rust, fine. But if this is the player, I'm concerned that while he has some skill, it's not the skill we need at this position. We could have done very well replacing Samchez and Sampson with a guy who loves to rebound, and chipped in with put backs and occasional 10 foot jumpers.

Now we have a guy who doesn't rebound, and barely defends at all, but he can hit a 10 footer, and overall, he has some offensive skill. We need Jones to play like Anthony Glover, and he just isn't that type of player. We need a bull dog in there.

Right now, and man, let me clear perfectly clear, it's really, really early, but Amar Alibegovic seems much tougher, and much more of what we need. He mixes it up inside for rebounds, and he moves the ball without an invitation from Phil Greene.

As far as my comment regarding Stewart and Henderson, we need wings who can stick the three if we intend to try and score in transition. How many times in the last two years did we see Branch or Jordan lead the break only to find a wide open shooter camped out on the three point who wanted no part of that shot? Harrison wants it. Greene has improved to the point where he can be counted on it, but when it's Pointer, Branch, Jones and Balamou setting up for that 3, we've just completely wasted a fast break. With our size issue, we need weapons elsewhere.

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
Are stewart and henderson better then marco and max?

Tiznow

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2014, 02:02:49 PM »
Ball movement from the bench players is very impressive.

Must be the good coaching.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »

Yes. By a lot IMO.

TONYD3

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »

Yes. By a lot IMO.
Thats great news. Hopefully one if not both can contribute. Do either have any size? Are they just shooters?

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »

Yes. By a lot IMO.
Thats great news. Hopefully one if not both can contribute. Do either have any size? Are they just shooters?

They both have excellent size actually.  Both close too 6'5.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

bk8664

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »
Two positives from the game:  I liked Pointer's passing ... he really tried to make the smart/extra pass.  I also thought ADR moved a lot better than I expected going in.  I thought he was going to be Curtis Johnson 2.0;  but he's he's not far away from being to able to contribute to this team this season.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
Two positives from the game:  I liked Pointer's passing ... he really tried to make the smart/extra pass.  I also thought ADR moved a lot better than I expected going in.  I thought he was going to be Curtis Johnson 2.0;  but he's he's not far away from being to able to contribute to this team this season.

I think Delarosa has big time potential, but let's be honest, he wasn't much faster than Curtis Johnson was. The problems I forsee with Delarosa are with his defense. His man get down the floor before he can, and he was having trouble getting a rebound after he established position. Like he couldn't move after going through the trouble of boxing out.

In a half court set, he can score. That's where he'll help right now.

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »

I think Delarosa has big time potential, but let's be honest, he wasn't much faster than Curtis Johnson was. The problems I forsee with Delarosa are with his defense. His man get down the floor before he can, and he was having trouble getting a rebound after he established position. Like he couldn't move after going through the trouble of boxing out.

In a half court set, he can score. That's where he'll help right now.
i thought it was strange too , for someone of his size even when he established position he would usually get out rebounded due to lack of footwork, hops. that will change with some conditioning. He has things you can teach though - size, soft hands and a nice post game.

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
Curtis Johnson  had trouble walking down the hall at school. He also used all of his agility just to enter a classroom, had to really duck.
Derosa better be more athletic then him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:05:12 PM by TONYD3 »