Conditioning Issue

• 50 replies

Poison

Re: Conditioning Issue
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
Come on people, you can't be that simplistic. Why isn't Adonis in shape! It's the coach's fault! Just put him on diet! Etc Etc, Get real folks. Sandoval on Giants---do you think his trainers  have not tried to get him in shape? Lots of potential being wasted there despite Pablo's  Series success. Newsflash---Lavin is not playing Adonis  until he gets into shape. That is why he did not play this weekend. And Lavin will not play him until his conditioning and approach changes. Shock theapy.  Is Lavin going out on limb. Yes he is. But he is putting ball into Adonis hands. You will not play until you train. Adonis' choice. Hope he makes the right decision. And I support coach's approach. Adonis did not  have this discipline in high school.He showed up and he played. Not any more.   Up to Adonis.. No matter his size, no matter the team needs, he ain't playing until Adonis gets into shape. Amen.  Only way Adonis is pro material is if he trains. Lavin is on the right track.

Lavin didn't recruit a stick figure. That's like Adonis arriving at St.John's and saying I'm not exercising until you clean this shithole up.

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 01:32:48 AM »

Sandoval then

Sandoval now

He's lost weight but he is still a big guy. Same has happened with Adonis he HAS lost weight since he started high school. Some people can't just be skinny or "in shape". Adonis can get burn looking the way he does, he just needs to work on his stamina.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:33:38 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
this all sounds like an excuse for redshirt ...

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »
I dont care how he looks, can he play? Barkley may have looked fat buy he was in shape. Never saw him in person in college but he looked real good in highlights. I started this thread, I was hoping their was more to it. No excuse not to come in shape.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
This kid is now my favorite player w/o ever having seen him play. I also enjoy the commentary from the posters most of whom probably won't be asked to model for a calender anytime soon unless it is a Homer Simpson look a like calender.

The thing with Fat guys is they are usually fun and good natured. I would much rather hang around a bunch of fat guys than a bunch of skinny guys any day! Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Santa Claus, Charles Barkley, Chris Farley, John Belushi,I would you rather have a beer with those guys or Zack Efron? And two of them are not even alive anymore. Plus fat guys make me look like I am more in shape then I am.

Congrats Delarosa you have now joined the prestigious group of WASJU's favorite players

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
Guys, he was running court like Curtis Johnson. If he can't get up and down the court, he ruins what the other players are doing by pressing and running on offense. It's 4 on 5. I want him out there, but he's probably not able to keep up. Maybe coach will work him in. He looks a lot like a red shirt.

Just too bad he wasn't able to take his weight more seriously this summer.

That's the crock that I don't buy. You eat less garbage, you look and feel less fat.

I expect it to take him the season to just first get used to playing at this level.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
What happened to #30? He was sitting behind the bench.

Yes, it's come to this. I am asking about the eligibility of a walk on. We could use him.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
What happened to #30? He was sitting behind the bench.

Yes, it's come to this. I am asking about the eligibility of a walk on. We could use him.

I was thinking of Marillac when I saw him behind the bench.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
I support coach's approach.
 Lavin is on the right track.

Obviously it's not Lavin's fault that adr is not in shape.  But he just signed him! It's not like this is a problem that you couldn't see coming.
The kid has been here two months, so either Lavin recruited a kid too fat to get up and down the court, or one who doesn't want to work hard.  Possibly both.
Either way it's not a good sign.

On other notes...
-ADR is not pro material no matter how much weight he loses.
- Poison, there are 486 things that need to be addressed  before we get to the concessions.   

Foad

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:41:09 AM »
Obviously it's not Lavin's fault that adr is not in shape.  But he just signed him! It's not like this is a problem that you couldn't see coming. The kid has been here two months, so either Lavin recruited a kid too fat to get up and down the court, or one who doesn't want to work hard.  Possibly both.

Yeah. Or, Lavin is doing what he does every year, which is fomenting controversy and sowing discord while scapegoating a player as an excuse for his own failures. Weird how 6 months ago he could run up and down the court well enough to earn a scholarship and now all of a sudden bupkis.

ADR is not pro material no matter how much weight he loses.

Have you ever seen him play? What's that you say? You've seen him on you tube? And your considered opinion after watching him on utube is that he cannot soar in four years to Brendon Haywood level? That' he'll never be as good as Ognjen Kuzmic and Festus Exeli and DJ Mbenga? That's disappointing, because he looks like pro material to me: he's 7 feet tall and black and wearing shorts. Oh well, screw the fat bastard then.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
Obviously it's not Lavin's fault that adr is not in shape.  But he just signed him! It's not like this is a problem that you couldn't see coming. The kid has been here two months, so either Lavin recruited a kid too fat to get up and down the court, or one who doesn't want to work hard.  Possibly both.

Yeah. Or, Lavin is doing what he does every year, which is fomenting controversy and sowing discord while scapegoating a player as an excuse for his own failures. Weird how 6 months ago he could run up and down the court well enough to earn a scholarship and now all of a sudden bupkis.

Have you ever seen him play? What's that you say? You've seen him on you tube? And your considered opinion after watching him on utube is that he cannot soar in four years to Brendon Haywood level? That' he'll never be as good as Ognjen Kuzmic and Festus Exeli and DJ Mbenga? That's disappointing, because he looks like pro material to me: he's 7 feet tall and black and wearing shorts. Oh well, screw the fat bastard then.

I have to agree. Who are we to say this kid isn't a pro? Cedric Jackson was an f'n pro. A kid comes in, they struggle as a freshman and they learn what's expected to succeed. Some take that knowledge seriously, and some don't. Delarosa, like many 7 footers isn't a chiseled copy of Tim Duncan.

But he does have soft hands, a nice jumper, and damn good training at CTK.

Let's try to have a little more faith in the kids. We are fans, after all. I've been guilty of wanting freshman and sophs to transfer out before, and sometimes it makes sense for the kid and school. Like with Malik Stith, but if you look at the strong programs in our league and around the country, they are strong not just because of recruiting and coaching. They have continuity. And that counts for a lot.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:53:43 AM by Poison »

hnk

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
Does anyone remember Sam Dalembert and his lack of skill at SH?

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
Does anyone remember Sam Dalembert and his lack of skill at SH?

I remember him, but I think he was a quality big man. Maybe not offensively, but the guy could fly down the court, rebound and block shots. We're not starting at that place with Delarosa. Delarosa has different skills than Dalembert.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
I have to agree. Who are we to say this kid isn't a pro? Cedric Jackson was an f'n pro. A kid comes in, they struggle as a freshman and they learn what's expected to succeed. Some take that knowledge seriously, and some don't. Delarosa, like many 7 footers isn't a chiseled copy of Tim Duncan.

But he does have soft hands, a nice jumper, and damn good training at CTK.

Let's try to have a little more faith in the kids. We are fans, after all. I've been guilty of wanting freshman and sophs to transfer out before, and sometimes it makes sense for the kid and school. Like with Malik Stith, but if you look at the strong programs in our league and around the country, they are strong not just because of recruiting and coaching. They have continuity. And that counts for a lot.

It's not even the announcement that he's not a pro before his first college game. It's the announcement that he's a tub of goo lazy bastard and that his coach has acted appropriately by fat shaming him on the back page of the Post - a coach who dresses in sweat suits designed to obscure his own impressive pasta belly. And that from this comes the announcement that Lavin's a disciplinarian who thinks there are more important things than winning. Whereas in fact it's just more self-serving pablum from a vapid shameless snake oil salesman.

According to TDN the kid's so far lost a hundred pounds since his freshman year in high school. That doesn't sound lazy and unmotivated to me. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:28:15 AM by Foad »

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
The real disturbing part is if he is having conditioning issues with how slow we play, there is no other place he would be able to play either.

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
Washington Generals :crazy2:?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:28:54 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »
cant believe people are bashing Lavin because a freshman player isn't in shape. Lavin didn't call him fat or embarass him. Most teams don't let athletes play If they don't pass reasonable requirements . I am sure it's not easy. But the kid is on scholarship. I am certain he was aware what he had to do to play.
blaming Lavin is just dumb.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »
Adonis put on a ton of weight from the NYS Federations to now.   Look at the SI scrimmage video...kid looks awful.  He's so fat he can't even get in proper position on defense.  He's playing like a 50 year old fat guy.

For those suggesting that he should stop trying to lose weight and just build muscle...that is a terrible idea. He is probably 30-40% body fat and he is losing a ton of quickness carrying the extra weight.  He should be 260 tops.

I like this kid as a recruit long term, but he needs to shape up--literally.

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »
cant believe people are bashing Lavin because a freshman player isn't in shape. Lavin didn't call him fat or embarass him. Most teams don't let athletes play If they don't pass reasonable requirements . I am sure it's not easy. But the kid is on scholarship. I am certain he was aware what he had to do to play.

Not a Lavin supporter, but agree this is not his or staff's fault. Having seen Adonis many times & spoken to AAU & CHSAA coaches at different levels, the common theme was he just does not work hard. I avoided the description "lazy" because I don't want to incur the wrath of posters demanding transcripts, tapes, menus, etc. This is potentially the epitome of opportunity presented, but not taken. Wake up Adonis!

Foad

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:03 PM »

Not a Lavin supporter, but agree this is not his or staff's fault. Having seen Adonis many times & spoken to AAU & CHSAA coaches at different levels, the common theme was he just does not work hard. I avoided the description "lazy" because I don't want to incur the wrath of posters demanding transcripts, tapes, menus, etc. This is potentially the epitome of opportunity presented, but not taken. Wake up Adonis!

He's one game into his exhibition career and is the epitome of not taking advantage of his opportunities, which we know because his drama queen coach says he's too fat to run up and down the court. Well, I call bullshit. Harrison is too angry to play, and Jordan's throat's too sore, and Phil Greene's hip hurts and my prostate's enlarged and my daddy died and Sanchez had a baby. It's too bad every other team in the country doesn't have these sorts of issues or someday we might win a game or two.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:34:43 PM by Foad »