Top 7 JUCO players from last year:
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Montero-Portland TrailBlazers
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8

Well, the best comp is Kadeem Allen, also from Hutchinson and played the same position.  He is averaging 8 points 3.6 assists and 3 boards in 25 minutes per game with Arizona in his first year.  Both guys were player of the year for their conference.

I think we'd all take that.
Those are stats on a far more talented team, Bashir may be and I emphasize may be (as none of us knows right now) our best player.

Oh Marillac knows. Just ask him.

Poison

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2016, 10:39:23 PM »

@bluedragonsport

Congrats to Bashir Ahmed, Jayhawk Conference 1st-team selection and 2016 KJCC Men's Basketball Most Valuable Player,

More to come :)

To MCNPA above, there is nothing wrong with calling him an NBA prospect.  He clearly has NBA physical talent and size.  It will be some of the other stuff that dictates if that is his path or not. 

In the FWIW category, a local assistant told me last fall that Bashir is a "pro" and that if SJU got him, he'd start day 1.

We should temper these expectations. People just like this local assistant also said that Mussini, Johnson, Sima and Williams were pros, too.
Let's let him come in with the expectations that should exist from a player who's community college does a tremendous job of hiding his abilities, and their games in general. Let's honor the secret that they've kept, and be pleasantly surprised when he shows up, and he can play.

There is not one person in this

@bluedragonsport

Congrats to Bashir Ahmed, Jayhawk Conference 1st-team selection and 2016 KJCC Men's Basketball Most Valuable Player,

To MCNPA above, there is nothing wrong with calling him an NBA prospect.  He clearly has NBA physical talent and size.  It will be some of the other stuff that dictates if that is his path or not. 

In the FWIW category, a local assistant told me last fall that Bashir is a "pro" and that if SJU got him, he'd start day 1.

We should temper these expectations. People just like this local assistant also said that Mussini, Johnson, Sima and Williams were pros, too.
Let's let him come in with the expectations that should exist from a player who's community college does a tremendous job of hiding his abilities, and their games in general. Let's honor the secret that they've kept, and be pleasantly surprised when he shows up, and he can play.
Literally no one said those guys were pros, let alone a coach who personally scouted Bashir.  I think everyone gets your position on the current roster, but the hyperbole is exhausting.

Its not only exhausting...more like bad diarrhea that just keeps coming.

Keep posting princess.

« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »

@bluedragonsport

What secret have they kept? We're talking about a 1st team JUCO All-American, conference player of the year, and possibly the national player of the year.  The irony of you trying to temper optimism, when you let your negativity run rampant for a years at a time, is crazy. You are a first ballot troll. MCN could run around throwing glitter and giving compliments at every game and not touch the level of untempered emotion you show on a daily basis. 

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. You did.

I suggest reading it again, only slower so your small brain can comprehend all of it. I was mainly calling attention to the horrendous job that shitbox Hurchinson Community College does of promoting their players because their All American has been kept a secret not just from us, but from everyone, and I place all of that blame on them.

And yes, I did attempt to temper expectations, because we are so often disappointed when delusional fans like yourself build up players like they're the next Dwayne Wade and then upon arrival we see that they can't handle a D3 man to man defense. But please, by all means keep calling people trolls when they call you out for your ridiculous predictions of players that you've never seen before in your life.

What are your expectations for Bashir's SJU career?

My expectations for Bashir's career are that fans and media will build him up to be the next Walter Berry before ever actually seeing him play. And I think that because the team is in such dire need of a go to player, that all signs based on his likely meaningless juco awards will point to him carrying that unfair responsibility.

While it would be great if he was up to that task, I would rather give him the time he probably needs to adjust to D1 basketball without the pressure of having to bring St.John's back from the 25 year shit storm that defines them.
You answered the "expectations for his career" question with remarks expressing skepticism of his Juco all American distinction and that fans are excited that he has NBA upside based on reports from coaches and recruiting rankers who like his game. 

Poison

« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2016, 11:07:51 PM »

@bluedragonsport

What secret have they kept? We're talking about a 1st team JUCO All-American, conference player of the year, and possibly the national player of the year.  The irony of you trying to temper optimism, when you let your negativity run rampant for a years at a time, is crazy. You are a first ballot troll. MCN could run around throwing glitter and giving compliments at every game and not touch the level of untempered emotion you show on a daily basis. 

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. You did.

I suggest reading it again, only slower so your small brain can comprehend all of it. I was mainly calling attention to the horrendous job that shitbox Hurchinson Community College does of promoting their players because their All American has been kept a secret not just from us, but from everyone, and I place all of that blame on them.

And yes, I did attempt to temper expectations, because we are so often disappointed when delusional fans like yourself build up players like they're the next Dwayne Wade and then upon arrival we see that they can't handle a D3 man to man defense. But please, by all means keep calling people trolls when they call you out for your ridiculous predictions of players that you've never seen before in your life.

What are your expectations for Bashir's SJU career?

My expectations for Bashir's career are that fans and media will build him up to be the next Walter Berry before ever actually seeing him play. And I think that because the team is in such dire need of a go to player, that all signs based on his likely meaningless juco awards will point to him carrying that unfair responsibility.

While it would be great if he was up to that task, I would rather give him the time he probably needs to adjust to D1 basketball without the pressure of having to bring St.John's back from the 25 year shit storm that defines them.
You answered the "expectations for his career" question with remarks expressing skepticism of his Juco all American distinction and that fans are excited that he has NBA upside based on reports from coaches and recruiting rankers who like his game. 

I have no expectations for his career. I've seen nothing from him for over 2 years.

And hey, fans should be excited. But they should also remember and recognize that they do this way too often.
Give the kid a break, and instead of hyping him up to be Walter Berry, and when he gets here, let's see how he does before sharing how good we think he is based on what we've read.

« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
The expectations that excited fans have are that Bashir contribute meaningfully on what will otherwise be a young but deep team. If he develops and performs at a high level, his ceiling could be the league after his senior year. I'd say that's pretty reasonable fodder for a message board, all things considered.

This argument holds more water with Ponds and Lovett, who probably will struggle next year despite their upside.  I'd actually say Bashir the least "hyped" newcomer. 

« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2016, 12:58:01 AM »
I got banned twice already from Redmen.com alone.

Really?  I knew you got banned during the Norm "error," right?  I'm assuming you got banned a few months ago.

« Reply #366 on: March 11, 2016, 01:10:30 AM »

I don't agree with a lot of things you say, but this right here I feel you on this one.  One poster--who I happen to like--on Redmen asked Paultz about the comparison between Larry Johnson (a JUCO AA and POY during his days in junior college) and Ahmed.  Seriously?  Yeah, let's just ask about a comparison between one of the best players to probably ever play JUCO hoops, and probably the best player in UNLV basketball history and an NBA stud before injuries derailed his career to a player he probably never seen play.  That sounds reasonable, right?

Not to mention, Johnson and Ahmed are two different players.  People also forget (or, aren't aware) Larry Johnson was considered the #1 player in the '87 high school class (of course, a McDonald's AA to boot) by some analysts. 

I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will temper my enthusiam and hope for the best.  I'd probably be a bit more gung-ho, per my expectations, but this past season has humbled those prospects on my end. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:13:29 AM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #367 on: March 11, 2016, 01:31:12 AM »

I don't agree with a lot of things you say, but this right here I feel you on this one.  One poster--who I happen to like--on Redmen asked Paultz about the comparison between Larry Johnson (a JUCO AA and POY during his days in junior college) and Ahmed.  Seriously?  Yeah, let's just ask about a comparison between one of the best players to probably ever play JUCO hoops, and probably the best player in UNLV basketball history and an NBA stud before injuries derailed his career to a player he probably never seen play.  That sounds reasonable, right?

Not to mention, Johnson and Ahmed are two different players.  People also forget (or, aren't aware) Larry Johnson was considered the #1 player in the '87 high school class (of course, a McDonald's AA to boot) by some analysts. 

I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will temper my enthusiam and hope for the best.  I'd probably be a bit more gung-ho, per my expectations, but this past season has humbled those prospects on my end. 

How can anyone make a comparison of any kind? He's been invisible for two years. This is why Jucos are such a mystery. I have never been to a juco, but I can only imagine that their facilities and overall operations are similar to what you'd find at a poorly funded low security prison.

The last time Ahmed was in the public eye he was committed to play for another program. That's how long it's been.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:33:47 AM by Poison »

paultzman

« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
@bluedragonsport

Final score: Hutchinson 84, Moberly 74. HCC, now 30-4, takes on Northwest Florida State at 6 p.m. Thursday in the NJCAA Quarterfinals

22/12 for Ahmed
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:09:36 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #369 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
@bluedragonsport

Final score: Hutchinson 84, Moberly 74. HCC, now 30-4, takes on Northwest Florida State at 6 p.m. Thursday in the NJCAA Quarterfinals

22/12 for Ahmed

Yet another full game available for fans to see the "invisible" Ahmed. Looked good. Next round will be tough.

paultzman

« Reply #370 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
@bluedragonsport

22/12 for Ahmed

Yet another full game available for fans to see the "invisible" Ahmed. Looked good. Next round will be tough.

Coach of their next opponent is local guy who played at Cardozo & was an AC at Iona, among other places, Steve DeMeo. Nice guy.

http://nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Steve_DeMeo
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:29:05 PM by paultzman »

bk8664

« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »
@bluedragonsport

22/12 for Ahmed

Hey - if you watched.  How is his shot selection?  Does his decision making need work, or is he making good decisions with the ball?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:32:59 PM by bk8664 »

Marillac

« Reply #372 on: March 16, 2016, 05:32:54 PM »
@bluedragonsport

22/12 for Ahmed

Doing a great job down there. Their size  will give  Hutch problems. We'll get a good feel for Ahmed's effectiveness as a stretch-four.

Coach of their next opponent is local guy who played at Cardozo & was an AC at Iona, among other places, Steve DeMeo. Nice guy.

http://nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Steve_DeMeo

hnk

« Reply #373 on: March 16, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
I think he is way to short too be a legit stretch four.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:17:05 PM by hnk »

paultzman

« Reply #374 on: March 16, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
Per Zach B

#SJUBB coach Chris Mullin and assistant Matt Abdelmassih just saw Bashir Ahmed lead Hutchinson CC to win in JUCO national tournament.

Good place to see a few other kids. :)

MCNPA

« Reply #375 on: March 16, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
I think he is way to short to be a legit stretch four.

He's a wing, but physically strong and a good rebounder for a wing.  He's not a 4.   Regardless, people are really gonna like him and he will be a big contributor for us next season.  Having guards like we will have around him will certainly help, Nd he can play that wing role because we also have a couple of PF's. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:18:41 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »
@bluedragonsport

22/12 for Ahmed

I take it all back. Let's just call him "The Truth" from here on out.

Marillac

« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2016, 11:23:36 PM »
I think he is way to short too be a legit stretch four.

Listed at 6'7 215 and has been playing the four for them all season. He is best suited for the wing as a pro and high level college, but plenty of wings his size and smaller have killed it at the four in college. 

http://www.hutchcc.edu/docs/Athletics/Basketball-Men/Roster-Basketball-Men.pdf