Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

Poison

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #420 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
Have seen the last 2 1/2 games Ahmed has played. In champioship game they lost to a team with 8 losses playing an extra game as in 5 games in 5 days and lost by 10. Think Bashir finished with 20 but was ) for 7 or 8 from 3. Think he will need year to adjust to BE level of play and we will be lucky if he can replace DJ's production next year.

Looked physically worn down to me. Other guys didn't look for him enough and he's asked to do everything for them close to basket.  He's a comlementary scorer year one.  Don't expect an alpha scorer.

I seem to remember a certain poster saying something to that effect recently. Oh well, must have been my imagination.

Ummm, no.  Had you said that, it would have been reasonable. Nothing about you is reasonable anymore. You said repeatedly--seems to be the only way you say anything--that he was completely "unknown" and has been entirely "invisible" for two years. You said we can't count on in for anything. I'm saying let's not expect him to be an alpha scorer, but I full expect him to contribute on the glass, as a secondary scoring option, and hopefully defensively.  I am optimistic given his physical talent and skill, but I also realize I cheer for St. John's and not a lot breaks our way.

He is a complete unknown. There is no reasonable way to make an educated guess regarding how he will do in the BE. The competition in juco ball isn't what it was 15 years ago. Have a look at where the top 10 jucos are going next year. But by all means, before you do, write another childish post calling me a troll, because that makes good sense.

Marillac

« Reply #421 on: March 20, 2016, 11:19:45 PM »
Have seen the last 2 1/2 games Ahmed has played. In champioship game they lost to a team with 8 losses playing an extra game as in 5 games in 5 days and lost by 10. Think Bashir finished with 20 but was ) for 7 or 8 from 3. Think he will need year to adjust to BE level of play and we will be lucky if he can replace DJ's production next year.

Looked physically worn down to me. Other guys didn't look for him enough and he's asked to do everything for them close to basket.  He's a comlementary scorer year one.  Don't expect an alpha scorer.

I seem to remember a certain poster saying something to that effect recently. Oh well, must have been my imagination.

Ummm, no.  Had you said that, it would have been reasonable. Nothing about you is reasonable anymore. You said repeatedly--seems to be the only way you say anything--that he was completely "unknown" and has been entirely "invisible" for two years. You said we can't count on in for anything. I'm saying let's not expect him to be an alpha scorer, but I full expect him to contribute on the glass, as a secondary scoring option, and hopefully defensively.  I am optimistic given his physical talent and skill, but I also realize I cheer for St. John's and not a lot breaks our way.

He is a complete unknown. There is no reasonable way to make an educated guess regarding how he will do in the BE.

This is so foolish and so wrong.  Do you really think high school kids are any easier? There are programs like Wichita State and Utah State that rely on JUCOs and unproven transfers to win 25 games a year the last decade +.

How is the talent down?  Gary Payton's son is a projected 2nd round pick this year and wasn't even that great in JUCO.  The Knicks drafted Cleanthony Early a few years ago and also had John Harrelslon at one point.

Just look at three Marquette teammates to show you how silly your comment was:  Jimmy Butler is averaging 22 ppg for the Bulls, Jae Crowder (14.4 ppg for Celtics) and Darius Johnson--played two years in the NBA.

Jimmy Butler could be a future hall of famer if he keeps it up. He's only 26 and he's a two-time all-star.

Poison

« Reply #422 on: March 20, 2016, 11:48:15 PM »

He is a complete unknown. There is no reasonable way to make an educated guess regarding how he will do in the BE.

This is so foolish and so wrong.  Do you really think high school kids are any easier? There are programs like Wichita State and Utah State that rely on JUCOs and unproven transfers to win 25 games a year the last decade +.

How is the talent down?  Gary Payton's son is a projected 2nd round pick this year and wasn't even that great in JUCO.  The Knicks drafted Cleanthony Early a few years ago and also had John Harrelslon at one point.

Just look at three Marquette teammates to show you how silly your comment was:  Jimmy Butler is averaging 22 ppg for the Bulls, Jae Crowder (14.4 ppg for Celtics) and Darius Johnson--played two years in the NBA.

Jimmy Butler could be a future hall of famer if he keeps it up. He's only 26 and he's a two-time all-star.

Jimmy Butler was an unknown before he got to Marquette. You just proved my point. There are no Larry Johnsons and Steve Francis types anymore in Juco. Jucos used to produce significantly more top talent than they do now. If you don't want to accept that, that's your choice. Throwing out names like Utah State is really reaching.

We beat out numerous top tier programs for Ponds. Let that tell you something. He's going up against the nation's top high school talent on a regular basis. It's much easier to make an educated guess as to what kind of player he'll be in year one of BE ball, than following delusions of greatness because Ahmed is ranked #1 of something. That ranking is meaningless.

One would think after your bullshit with Derian Williams, you'd cut the crap, but don't let being ridiculously wrong about a player you knew nothing about stop you from doing it again about a player you know nothing about. And just so we're clear, watching a juco game tells you nothing. That is not a barometer anymore.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:51:36 PM by Poison »

LoganK

« Reply #423 on: March 21, 2016, 09:02:01 AM »

He is a complete unknown. There is no reasonable way to make an educated guess regarding how he will do in the BE. The competition in juco ball isn't what it was 15 years ago. Have a look at where the top 10 jucos are going next year. But by all means, before you do, write another childish post calling me a troll, because that makes good sense.
Iowa St, Baylor, Wichita St., Alabama, Arkansas....these are the schools that got the bulk of the best JUCOs in the country.  Are you implying these are not good basketball schools?  Arkansas sucks, but Alabama looks to be on the up, Wichita St is one of the premiere mid-majors in the country, Baylor was a 5 seed and Iowa St a 4 seed.  If JUCOs are good enough for two top 20 teams, I would think they are good enough for us, no?

« Reply #424 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Ahmed was recruited by Louisville (Pitino visited him in the fall), Texas (official in December), Cincinnati (official in December), and Oregon.  http://247sports.com/player/bashir-ahmed-52192 

Poison

« Reply #425 on: March 21, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »

Iowa St, Baylor, Wichita St., Alabama, Arkansas....these are the schools that got the bulk of the best JUCOs in the country.  Are you implying these are not good basketball schools?  Arkansas sucks, but Alabama looks to be on the up, Wichita St is one of the premiere mid-majors in the country, Baylor was a 5 seed and Iowa St a 4 seed.  If JUCOs are good enough for two top 20 teams, I would think they are good enough for us, no?

I'm implying that Bashir Ahmed shouldn't be sold in to the fan base as a savior, because dear God, when will we learn our #$%^ing lesson? He's a juco, he's the #1 ranked juco, and yes, that means that he's probably severely overrated. It would be wonderful if that is not the case, but let's stop dancing in the streets the way we did when we got Mussini and acted like he was Steve Nash.

Poison

« Reply #426 on: March 21, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
Ahmed was recruited by Louisville (Pitino visited him in the fall), Texas (official in December), Cincinnati (official in December), and Oregon.  http://247sports.com/player/bashir-ahmed-52192 

Dele Coler was recruited by Pitt. If Louisville really wanted him to be a priority, Pitino wouldn't be making last minute attempts to get him, and even if it worked out, playing time at Louisville isn't going to be just handed to you like it most definitely will be at St.John's.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:43:10 AM by Poison »

« Reply #427 on: March 21, 2016, 12:22:30 PM »

Dele Coler was recruited by Pitt. If Louisville really wanted him to be a priority, Pitino wouldn't be making last minute attempts to get him, and even if it worked out, playing time at Louisville isn't going to be just handed to you like it most definitely will be at St.John's.
Shaka Smart hosted him at Texas like two weeks before he committed here; Cincy had him in officially a week before that.  No two ways about it - that is legitimate interest from real programs.

I get the skepticism around JUCOs or SJU recruits in general, but you seemingly can't accept that there is reason to be optimistic about this kid.

Marillac

« Reply #428 on: March 21, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »

Nobody is calling him a savior.  Where do you get this stuff?  He is a kid that many of us hope can be a quality Big East starter sooner rather than later.  He has undeniable NBA size and physical talent, but he wouldn't be the first player we had like that to completely disappoint us if it went that way.  In general, if you are looking for a JUCO as a savior, you are in trouble.  Jesus, we are talking about a two-time JUCO All-American and likely JUCO player of the year here. What's his floor if healthy, 10 and 5?  SJU was his dream school from high school and made no secret of that.  That is why he didn't get the full court press from interested programs like Louisville and Texas. 

paultzman

« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2016, 02:47:37 PM »

Nobody is calling him a savior.  Where do you get this stuff?  He is a kid that many of us hope can be a quality Big East starter sooner rather than later.  He has undeniable NBA size and physical talent, but he wouldn't be the first player we had like that to completely disappoint us if it went that way.  In general, if you are looking for a JUCO as a savior, you are in trouble.  Jesus, we are talking about a two-time JUCO All-American and likely JUCO player of the year here. What's his floor if healthy, 10 and 5?  SJU was his dream school from high school and made no secret of that.  That is why he didn't get the full court press from interested programs like Louisville and Texas. 

Two time JUCO AA? Where did you see that for last season?

« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »

He was a two time Marillac Juco AA. And Marillac do you really think other schools didn't go hard after him because we were his dream school. Many kids pick other than their dream schools.

Poison

« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »

Shaka Smart hosted him at Texas like two weeks before he committed here; Cincy had him in officially a week before that.  No two ways about it - that is legitimate interest from real programs.

I get the skepticism around JUCOs or SJU recruits in general, but you seemingly can't accept that there is reason to be optimistic about this kid.

I'm not saying that he can't turn out to be a great player. I see a juco who is ranked #1, a depressed fan base, and it reminds me of a familiar cycle. Hype begets more hype. I'd rather come in cold and without these expectations, and be given the chance to play his game without dozens of microphones constantly in his face.

Let him be Bootsy Thornton instead of James Scott. Scott spent his first year here trying to do too much. He had two great weeks at St.John's as a senior. I think the pressure of playing in front of large loud crowds and seeing BE defenses really got in his head as a junior. There really wasn't much else on that team, and he was totally overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:10:38 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #432 on: March 21, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »

Don't be so negative. Why does it matter if it's true or not? :)

« Reply #433 on: March 21, 2016, 04:22:02 PM »

I'm not saying that he can't turn out to be a great player. I see a juco who is ranked #1, a depressed fan base, and it reminds me of a familiar cycle. Hype begets more hype. I'd rather come in cold and without these expectations, and be given the chance to play his game without dozens of microphones constantly in his face.

Let him be Bootsy Thornton instead of James Scott. Scott spent his first year here trying to do too much. He had two great weeks at St.John's as a senior. I think the pressure of playing in front of large loud crowds and seeing BE defenses really got in his head as a junior. There really wasn't much else on that team, and he was totally overwhelmed.

I guess what I am missing is the expectations that you speak of.  Maybe a poll on his ppg next year will elucidate it.  For me, I'd expect 10 ppg and for him to start at the 3 on a young team that's a year away.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was coming off the bench and took a year to meaningfully contribute, nor would I be surprised if he averaged 15 ppg immediately.  I would be surprised and disappointed if he was worthless in his two years here.

paultzman

« Reply #434 on: March 21, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »

I guess what I am missing is the expectations that you speak of.  Maybe a poll on his ppg next year will elucidate it.  For me, I'd expect 10 ppg and for him to start at the 3 on a young team that's a year away.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was coming off the bench and took a year to meaningfully contribute, nor would I be surprised if he averaged 15 ppg immediately.  I would be surprised and disappointed if he was worthless in his two years here.

Very fair.

« Reply #435 on: March 21, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
Vorfreude

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #436 on: March 21, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
I think a lot of us also have to remember that this is not the old Big East. There's very good teams but it's not as tough as it used to be. Villanova and Xavier are consistent tourney programs that are built to make Sweet 16's just about every year (built not guaranteed. The expectation is Sweet 16-ish). Seton Hall is not (although they will be very very tough if all return). Marquette is a solid team. Butler is a very solid team. Georgetown is a very solid team. Creighton is a solid team. Those 7 teams are the top of our program and it's very reasonable to see a year where only 4 teams make the tournament and not as high seeds. We had two teams that were seeded 5 or higher (3 if you give Seton Hall the credit the NCAA didn't).

If the Old Big East had 5 teams make it and only two were 5 or higher, it would be one of the worst seasons in conference history. This conference has solid programs that are on the rise. But let's stop pretending that the competition is what it used to be. The ranking of major conferences in B-ball goes like this to me;

1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. Big 10

4. SEC

5. AAC
6. Big East

Wods317

« Reply #437 on: March 21, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
I think a lot of us also have to remember that this is not the old Big East. There's very good teams but it's not as tough as it used to be. Villanova and Xavier are consistent tourney programs that are built to make Sweet 16's just about every year (built not guaranteed. The expectation is Sweet 16-ish). Seton Hall is not (although they will be very very tough if all return). Marquette is a solid team. Butler is a very solid team. Georgetown is a very solid team. Creighton is a solid team. Those 7 teams are the top of our program and it's very reasonable to see a year where only 4 teams make the tournament and not as high seeds. We had two teams that were seeded 5 or higher (3 if you give Seton Hall the credit the NCAA didn't).

If the Old Big East had 5 teams make it and only two were 5 or higher, it would be one of the worst seasons in conference history. This conference has solid programs that are on the rise. But let's stop pretending that the competition is what it used to be. The ranking of major conferences in B-ball goes like this to me;

1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. Big 10

4. SEC

5. AAC
6. Big East

We are better then the AAC. I think if we are consistently 4th or 5th best conference that is a reasonable goal to have for the short term future.

Marillac

« Reply #438 on: March 21, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/all-americans/index

paultzman

« Reply #439 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/all-americans/index

Ok, Honorable Mention, Thx