Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

MCNPA

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #440 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »
I think a lot of us also have to remember that this is not the old Big East. There's very good teams but it's not as tough as it used to be. Villanova and Xavier are consistent tourney programs that are built to make Sweet 16's just about every year (built not guaranteed. The expectation is Sweet 16-ish). Seton Hall is not (although they will be very very tough if all return). Marquette is a solid team. Butler is a very solid team. Georgetown is a very solid team. Creighton is a solid team. Those 7 teams are the top of our program and it's very reasonable to see a year where only 4 teams make the tournament and not as high seeds. We had two teams that were seeded 5 or higher (3 if you give Seton Hall the credit the NCAA didn't).

If the Old Big East had 5 teams make it and only two were 5 or higher, it would be one of the worst seasons in conference history. This conference has solid programs that are on the rise. But let's stop pretending that the competition is what it used to be. The ranking of major conferences in B-ball goes like this to me;

1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. Big 10

4. SEC

5. AAC
6. Big East

We are better then the AAC. I think if we are consistently 4th or 5th best conference that is a reasonable goal to have for the short term future.

You left out the PAC-12 which we are better than as well.  One must remember though that many of these leagues have 14-16 teams.  Can't compare how many teams making it head-to-head unless the conference numbers were even.  Big East had half their teams make it, and was one of the best regular season conference teams.  That's including a year where SJU has been decimated.

I'd also argue that the Big East could and should easily have Xavier in the sweet 16 as well.  They were robbed by that bogus charging call at the end which gave Wisconsin that final shot.  Big East is also only 3 seasons old in its current iteration.  I think we are on a good trajectory, especially if SJU can start getting in the mix. 

The conference overall must recruit more top tier guys though.  Need to crack that top 50 more often.   It hasn't helped that Wojo has been underwhelming at Marquette despite excellent recruiting, and JT3 hasn't lit it up in the tourney lately either.

Marillac

« Reply #441 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »
Ahmed was recruited by Louisville (Pitino visited him in the fall), Texas (official in December), Cincinnati (official in December), and Oregon.  http://247sports.com/player/bashir-ahmed-52192 

Dele Coler was recruited by Pitt. If Louisville really wanted him to be a priority, Pitino wouldn't be making last minute attempts to get him, and even if it worked out, playing time at Louisville isn't going to be just handed to you like it most definitely will be at St.John's.

Nobody is calling him a savior.  Where do you get this stuff?  He is a kid that many of us hope can be a quality Big East starter sooner rather than later.  He has undeniable NBA size and physical talent, but he wouldn't be the first player we had like that to completely disappoint us if it went that way.  In general, if you are looking for a JUCO as a savior, you are in trouble.  Jesus, we are talking about a two-time JUCO All-American and likely JUCO player of the year here. What's his floor if healthy, 10 and 5?  SJU was his dream school from high school and made no secret of that.  That is why he didn't get the full court press from interested programs like Louisville and Texas. 

Two time JUCO AA? Where did you see that for last season?

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/all-americans/index

Ok, Honorable Mention, Thx

I honestly thought he was third team, but I knew he was named.  1st team all-conference both years, though, and quite the resume out of a very tough JUCO conference.  He should be a solid player, but can't bank on anything with St. John's basketball. IMO, Ponds has a better chance of being an alpha scorer--the only question I have is when that starts.

Watching the tournament this past week has made it pretty clear that we are probably two years away from being able to win a game there. 

paultzman

« Reply #442 on: March 21, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
Ahmed was recruited by Louisville (Pitino visited him in the fall), Texas (official in December), Cincinnati (official in December), and Oregon.  http://247sports.com/player/bashir-ahmed-52192 

Dele Coler was recruited by Pitt. If Louisville really wanted him to be a priority, Pitino wouldn't be making last minute attempts to get him, and even if it worked out, playing time at Louisville isn't going to be just handed to you like it most definitely will be at St.John's.

Nobody is calling him a savior.  Where do you get this stuff?  He is a kid that many of us hope can be a quality Big East starter sooner rather than later.  He has undeniable NBA size and physical talent, but he wouldn't be the first player we had like that to completely disappoint us if it went that way.  In general, if you are looking for a JUCO as a savior, you are in trouble.  Jesus, we are talking about a two-time JUCO All-American and likely JUCO player of the year here. What's his floor if healthy, 10 and 5?  SJU was his dream school from high school and made no secret of that.  That is why he didn't get the full court press from interested programs like Louisville and Texas. 

I honestly thought he was third team, but I knew he was named.  1st team all-conference both years, though, and quite the resume out of a very tough JUCO conference.  He should be a solid player, but can't bank on anything with St. John's basketball. IMO, Ponds has a better chance of being an alpha scorer--the only question I have is when that starts.

Watching the tournament this past week has made it pretty clear that we are probably two years away from being able to win a game there. 
Agree on that prognosis.

« Reply #443 on: March 21, 2016, 09:46:11 PM »
I think a lot of us also have to remember that this is not the old Big East. There's very good teams but it's not as tough as it used to be. Villanova and Xavier are consistent tourney programs that are built to make Sweet 16's just about every year (built not guaranteed. The expectation is Sweet 16-ish). Seton Hall is not (although they will be very very tough if all return). Marquette is a solid team. Butler is a very solid team. Georgetown is a very solid team. Creighton is a solid team. Those 7 teams are the top of our program and it's very reasonable to see a year where only 4 teams make the tournament and not as high seeds. We had two teams that were seeded 5 or higher (3 if you give Seton Hall the credit the NCAA didn't).

If the Old Big East had 5 teams make it and only two were 5 or higher, it would be one of the worst seasons in conference history. This conference has solid programs that are on the rise. But let's stop pretending that the competition is what it used to be. The ranking of major conferences in B-ball goes like this to me;

1. Big 12
2. ACC
3. Big 10

4. SEC

5. AAC
6. Big East
How could you possibly say that the American was better then the BE?  And the SEC?  Based on what?

« Reply #444 on: March 21, 2016, 09:48:56 PM »

IMO, Ponds has a. . .  chance of being an alpha scorer--the only question I have is when that starts.

Yes.

MCNPA

« Reply #445 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:58 PM »

Agree on that prognosis.

And that is more than reasonable considering we are coming off a 1-win Big East campaign with a quickly put-together team.  Some people have absolutely unreasonable expectations of whom we should be landing this season and where we should be next season. 

Even with the best recruiting class in the Big East, we will be one of the youngest teams in the country next year with almost no upperclassmen.  I think we will be a lot more talented than this past year, no doubt,  but with little upperclassmen experience.  It will take a few years to build this.

Not to hijack the Bashir thread, but I've seen him in one or two other games this season.  These last two aren't a very good indication IMO.  Kid is going to be very good for us.  Like all Juco's he's going to have to work on a few aspects, but he's more talented than Durand as some compared him, and my bet is he will be game-ready pretty early on.  He's a good player.  I think he's being underestimated a bit lately on this thread.  He can do a lot of things on the court.  He needs to sure-up his shot selection a bit and get more consistent.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:55:00 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
Per Zach B

Recruits Bashir Ahmed and Richard Freudenberg expected to sign tomorrow on first day of late period I'm told #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #447 on: April 13, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »

Per Zach B

Looks like JUCO player of the year will get announced today. Bashir Ahmed a candidate. #sjubb

St John's makes it official. Richard Freudenberg and Bashir Ahmed have signed. #sjubb

Bashir Ahmed tells me he will be in summer school in July at St. John's. More later. #sjubb
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:48:21 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #448 on: April 13, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »

Per Zach B

Looks like JUCO player of the year will get announced today. Bashir Ahmed a candidate. #sjubb

St John's makes it official. Richard Freudenberg and Bashir Ahmed have signed. #sjubb

Bashir Ahmed tells me he will be in summer school in July at St. John's. More later. #sjubb

Hopefully, Bashir just wants to get a head start on his studies and this has nothing at all to do with not being academically eligible yet.

hnk

« Reply #449 on: April 13, 2016, 04:19:16 PM »
I hope the whole team is there..getting credits,,,,,,getting practice......getting to know each other.....getting in the weight room.....getting personal development.

« Reply #450 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »

Per Zach B

Hopefully, Bashir just wants to get a head start on his studies and this has nothing at all to do with not being academically eligible yet.

Kids enrolling in summer school is actually a good sign.  It usually means they are eligible.  Most of the incoming freshman/JUCO transfers enroll in college for a summer session to get a head start because they miss time during the season (same thing with football).  By enrolling SJU normally is saying they are cleared to go, if they weren't; they wouldn't enroll them before they were cleared.

When SJU freshmen Harkless, Harrison et al were enrolled at SJU in the summer of 2011 Amir, Norvel and JaKarr were in Philly trying to get eligible.  You would be MORE worried if they did NOT enroll for the summer.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:27:10 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #451 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »

Per Zach B

I heard transcript issues awhile back, hope it's straight

Poison

« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »

Per Zach B

Kids enrolling in summer school is actually a good sign.  It usually means they are eligible.  Most of the incoming freshman/JUCO transfers enroll in college for a summer session to get a head start because they miss time during the season (same thing with football).  By enrolling SJU normally is saying they are cleared to go, if they weren't; they wouldn't enroll them before they were cleared.

When SJU freshmen Harkless, Harrison et al were enrolled at SJU in the summer of 2011 Amir, Norvel and JaKarr were in Philly trying to get eligible.  You would be MORE worried if they did NOT enroll for the summer.

Thank you

Foad

« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2016, 10:07:40 AM »
Great article about him:

http://nypost.com/2016/09/04/st-johns-recruit-has-taken-the-long-road-to-reach-his-dream/

"Ahmed grew up wanting to play for St. John’s. In high school, he attended a lot of games at the Garden, and was frustrated his hometown school, under coach Steve Lavin, didn’t recruit him."

He should have moved to Rome, Lavin would have been all over him.

TONYD3

« Reply #456 on: September 04, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
Great article about him:

http://nypost.com/2016/09/04/st-johns-recruit-has-taken-the-long-road-to-reach-his-dream/

"Ahmed grew up wanting to play for St. John’s. In high school, he attended a lot of games at the Garden, and was frustrated his hometown school, under coach Steve Lavin, didn’t recruit him."

He should have moved to Rome, Lavin would have been all over him.

I assume you read the next line that you didn't quote. Ahmed was not considered a big east player at the time which is why he committed to Iona .

Foad

« Reply #457 on: September 04, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
I assume you read the next line that you didn't quote. Ahmed was not considered a big east player at the time which is why he committed to Iona .

How about I quote what I want and you quote what you want. For example I like this one: “I thought he was better than Isaiah Whitehead coming out of high school,” said one local college coach.

I mean sure, not everyone can be a flat out Big East stud in the mold of Feddy Mussini and Amir Albigvicwith and Marco Bourgault all the other gems Lavin brought back from his yearly European "recruiting" trips. But imagine how many more games we might have won if Lavin had been able to recruit mid major talent as well as Grasso does. Instead we ended up with Jamal Branch and Felix Balamou. Oh well.

« Reply #458 on: September 04, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
Also did you read Iona is a mid major college and didn't think he was a major division one prospect at the time.

Don't forget you are other one that refuses to give Matt any credit for his hard instead of praising grasso praise matt for once.