Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2015, 02:09:12 AM »
No heron? Hmm. Good for ponds. Wonder if we still have a shot at hamidou. Also why not go after seventh woods? all this talk of heron getting swiped from us when it was all but sure he was coming here due to sneaker connections.  Woods is a UA kid who after cursory research is looking at south Carolina (UA school) and UNC (losing out on kids with proverbial ncaa black cloud).  Why can't we beat out them and use these "sneaker connections to our advantage? Woods seems like a special talent. Maybe there is something with his story that I'm missing .

Woods is a homebody and super shy. New York is not the place for him. I think you're overestimating the sneaker play too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »
I'm not saying we get him automatically because he's UA just wasn't sure why we never took a shot. Homebody makes more sense. Just wonder about this sneaker connection because everybody and their mother had heron as about as much of a lock as we've seen so far and then on a dime (Dave was probably the first to have it) things changed and whenever anyone was pressd for a response those "in the know" would just be like "adidas".  Pretty frustrating situation all together.  Again, major congrats to ponds. Hopefully we get him and yakwe, although I never consider anybody a lock anywhere while they still have official visits other places with the way these kids change their minds. Does anyone know why heron isn't playing in UA or Nike Bahamas or was he just not selected. Says alot about shamorie and his rise into the national recruiting spotlight

« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
No heron? Hmm. Good for ponds. Wonder if we still have a shot at hamidou. Also why not go after seventh woods? all this talk of heron getting swiped from us when it was all but sure he was coming here due to sneaker connections.  Woods is a UA kid who after cursory research is looking at south Carolina (UA school) and UNC (losing out on kids with proverbial ncaa black cloud).  Why can't we beat out them and use these "sneaker connections to our advantage? Woods seems like a special talent. Maybe there is something with his story that I'm missing .

Woods is a homebody and super shy. New York is not the place for him.

Actually, I can somewhat agree with you there.

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
I know everyone wants to think this is a wrap but I'd still be very wary of Minnesota.  We've been burned lately and Minnesota has made him one of their top priorities as well.  If he's taking his visits then he has one there sept 18-20 I believe. He's known kimani young his whole life and they're very tight.  Shamorie recently had an interesting exchange with Gary Trent Jr on twitter. Joking (hopefully from what I can tell) about committing to Minnesota and a few fans I know of theirs seem confident and say their board is confident just like ours.  I really hope we get him and hope our sources are right but if he does take that visit I'd just temper expectations.  We've been the poster boys for how things can change very quickly around here lately.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:12:19 PM by shaun1345 »

« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2015, 06:23:47 PM »
I know everyone wants to think this is a wrap but I'd still be very weary of Minnesota.  We've been burned lately and Minnesota has made him one of their top priorities as well.  If he's taking his visits then he has one there sept 18-20 I believe. He's known kimani young his whole life and they're very tight.  Shamorie recently had an interesting exchange with Gary Trent Jr on twitter. Joking (hopefully from what I can tell) about committing to Minnesota and a few fans I know of theirs seem confident and say their board is confident just like ours.  I really hope we get him and hope our sources are right but if he does take that visit I'd just temper expectations.  We've been the poster boys for how things can change very quickly around here lately.

Like I said, let's get after Rawle

Moose

« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
I know everyone wants to think this is a wrap but I'd still be very weary of Minnesota.  We've been burned lately and Minnesota has made him one of their top priorities as well.  If he's taking his visits then he has one there sept 18-20 I believe. He's known kimani young his whole life and they're very tight.  Shamorie recently had an interesting exchange with Gary Trent Jr on twitter. Joking (hopefully from what I can tell) about committing to Minnesota and a few fans I know of theirs seem confident and say their board is confident just like ours.  I really hope we get him and hope our sources are right but if he does take that visit I'd just temper expectations.  We've been the poster boys for how things can change very quickly around here lately.

Doomed
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »

I'm usually weary of Minnesota just a couple hours after landing there.  ;)

TONYD3

« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
we have taken plenty of kicks to the nuts lately. I can't believe we lose this kid to Minnesota.

« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
How many New York kids has Kimani got to commit?

At FIU he got Jason Boswell to commit. He averaged a whopping 1.1 ppg his freshman year. Last year he got Dupree McBrayer (New Heights connect) who is very similar to Ponds but a poor man's version.

I'm friendly with Kimani and I think he's a very sharp guy but respectfully his track record of recruiting isn't at the level of Slice or Matt. If I had to put my chips in one corner it would be confidently with St. John's between the two.

pmg911

« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:20 AM »

At FIU he got Jason Boswell to commit. He averaged a whopping 1.1 ppg his freshman year. Last year he got Dupree McBrayer (New Heights connect) who is very similar to Ponds but a poor man's version.

I'm friendly with Kimani and I think he's a very sharp guy but respectfully his track record of recruiting isn't at the level of Slice or Matt. If I had to put my chips in one corner it would be confidently with St. John's between the two.

Not disagreeing with you on Kimani here but who has Matt recruited out of NYC high schools either..?

Moose

« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »

Not disagreeing with you on Kimani here but who has Matt recruited out of NYC high schools either..?

Not a big recruit but turned out great.

Dustin Hogue
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »

Not many but overall body of work he's been responsible for a lot of recruits.

Out of metro area Dustin Hogue, Hallice Cook, and if you want to include George Niang out of Mass.

« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  42s43 seconds ago
Shamorie Ponds said "it's possible" he makes decision before taking visits. #sjubb

« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  42s43 seconds ago
Shamorie Ponds said "it's possible" he makes decision before taking visits. #sjubb

Maybe, he pops tomorrow following the game.

paultzman

« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Still get feeling Shamorie Ponds will take his visits, but opportunity to announce on national TV could change things. #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Nothing like being wanted (Whitey Bulger aside) Good for him!

@NYPost_Brazille: Sounds like #sjubb fans have made their voice heard with Shamorie Ponds. "A lot of people are telling me to stay home."

wpc77

« Reply #216 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
Zach B just tweeted that we shouldn't expect an announcement tonight.

« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Today

paultzman

« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
Today
For Yakwe. Hope you are right on Ponds as well.

« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »