QuanMan

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2015, 12:20:53 PM »
We are!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
Awesome news if accurate.  Assuming Yawke for 2016, him and Ponds is a terrific start to that class (putting aside the good work the staff did in short order for 2015)

paultzman

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
Any idea when the press conference would be? And do we have anything to worry about here? I feel like we've been down this road so many times expecting a commitment only to get burned.

paultzman

« Reply #324 on: September 16, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
Any idea when the press conference would be? And do we have anything to worry about here? I feel like we've been down this road so many times expecting a commitment only to get burned.
Yakwe did not burn us. :) I would relax on this one as Fordham noted above.

« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »
If this is like the Sampson recruitment then no news is bad news.  Looks like Happy and Zach were both wrong.  In this case it appears as if it's his parents that don't want him around, especially his Mom.  This has ground to a halt after yesterday's  "not just an announcement" press conference was imminent.  Not even one posting today about Shamorie.

Happy

« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »
If this is like the Sampson recruitment then no news is bad news.  Looks like Happy and Zach were both wrong.  In this case it appears as if it's his parents that don't want him around, especially his Mom.  This has ground to a halt after yesterday's  "not just an announcement" press conference was imminent.  Not even one posting today about Shamorie.

I rarely post anymore so i am not sure what i am wrong about.. but i'll bite???  If nobody posts about Shamorie in a day that is a bad thing to you??  Then you say his own parents don't want him around??  Awesome!!  :)

Pete88

« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2015, 08:19:57 AM »

Truly insightful post.  You shouldn't be shy about posting more of these well thought out and researched opinions.

Poison

« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »
Guys, there's going to be a press conference where Shamorie Ponds will announce his college decision. It will take place sometime between now, and next March. Is that so hard to digest?

Just because it takes 3 seconds to tell people where you're going to go to college doesn't mean that a 16 year old is going to do it.

And, once he picks St.John's, we can begin calling him "Sham-Wow".

paultzman

« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2015, 09:50:31 AM »

I rarely post anymore so i am not sure what i am wrong about.. but i'll bite???  If nobody posts about Shamorie in a day that is a bad thing to you??  Then you say his own parents don't want him around??  Awesome!!  :)
+1

« Reply #330 on: September 18, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »

Don't see the connection.

For the record Sampson's Mom loved St. John's and Lavin. They were cautious because of Lav's job security and rightfully so. In the end the pitch to play at LSU with Simmons + Blakeney felt like a better bet for him than a very unknown situation at St. John's. I don't hold anything against Sampson for the decision he made and I'd probably make the same one.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #331 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »

+1

It's obvious he's a poster on Redmen, as Happy hasn't posted on this thread in awhile, if ever, on this particular board. 

I believe he's probably also scouring the competition boards.  Nevertheless, I think he's fishing for a reaction.

ras

« Reply #332 on: September 18, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »
What knowledge do you have to make a statement his parents don't want him around NYC?

paultzman

« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Creighton and Providence stopped by to see Shamorie Ponds yesterday, source says. #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's also stopped by Jefferson to see Shamorie Ponds on Thursday. #sjubb

« Reply #334 on: September 18, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »
There is a coaching staff competing against us for Ponds that is telling him and his family that it's a negative that we don't have any African Americans on staff.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #335 on: September 18, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »
There is a coaching staff competing against us for Ponds that is telling him and his family that it's a negative that we don't have any African Americans on staff.

If true, that doesn't surprise me.  Honestly, I had this strange hunch that was the hold up in his announcement.  It could possibly hurt us in the end. 

Get Mitch Richmond on the horn, ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:55:26 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #336 on: September 18, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
Well Theo I think we know based on the teams in the running who you are referring to.  First off, to the extent it even matters, I am sure sure that Chris & Co. have told them that Mitch is expected to join.  Second, I can't believe that other staffs would say that guys like Chris, Slice and Matt, given their background, aren't "black" enough.  I truly hope that Ponds' family is not listening to that nonsense.

« Reply #337 on: September 18, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »
Well Theo I think we know based on the teams in the running who you are referring to.  First off, to the extent it even matters, I am sure sure that Chris & Co. have told them that Mitch is expected to join.  Second, I can't believe that other staffs would say that guys like Chris, Slice and Matt, given their background, aren't "black" enough.  I truly hope that Ponds' family is not listening to that nonsense.

It doesn't have anything to do with our staff not being "black" enough.  I wouldn't doubt one bit the Ponds' trust the current staff to the fullest.  Most of the kids playing hoops are black, so they are probably wondering why not have a strong, black figure on the bench.  A guy like Richmond probably would go over well for most folks.

« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Providence and Creighton are significantly less diverse than St John's in basically every way other than coaching staff.  Ask Pascal Chukwu

« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2015, 04:27:38 PM »
So the argument, Dink, is that guys like Slice and Chris - who grew up in Brooklyn and have been around and mentored young African-American kids/men their whole life -- are somehow not as qualified as Ed Cooley or Andre LaFleur?  I'm surprised anyone would buy that.