Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #420 on: September 24, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »
Zagoria said on his podcast that he heard today that this could spill into a spring decision. Called the whole situation a "mess" and said the longer it plays out could be bad for St Johns. I honestly don't want to be the "I told you so" guy but at the beginning of the whole "shamorie is a lock" talk I said that nobody with official visits left should ever be considered a lock. Whether he ends up here or not, obviously it has not turned out to be the open and shut case many thought and made it out to be. I have been following basketball and football recruiting for a while and most teams and fan bases don't even count on a kid, who is verbally committed, on being there ultimately if they're still taking visits.  Obviously some guys heard something and im not doubting any sources but I'd personally never believe something is a done deal when the kid's still gonna take officials.

There are times when I hear things, and not say anything.  There are times when I hear things, and sparse my words (similarly to intel I was receiving during Rysheed Jordan's recruitment).  I'm careful to say things are a "done deal," as stuff can change. 

Of course, I'm not at all doubting Happy's or Pault'z source (as, I'm assuming they could be the same person) nor do I doubt SJU79's sources (I guess he's moved on since he's missed on a few....  Come back, dude.  It's all good).  They're just relaying what they're hearing (and, it's appreciated, as well).  But, I'm still careful even if I hear those particular words.

Truthfully, I'm not sweating it one way or another.  I don't get too wound up in this stuff anymore.  As, I've said before, move on to the next best possible target if it doesn't work out.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:48:03 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »
I don't profess to be an insider but I do hear some things, have some connections directly to the program and my question becomes...... If you hear something, why not just say what you hear? Honest question. You don't have to give up sources but at the best the coaching staff was hearing from ponds "I want to go to sju but I'm going to take my visits".......because that's exactly what happened. So why say it's the stone cold lock of the century and no chance he goes anywhere but sju? Then turn around and be like " recruiting is crazy, things change". This goes for every ones favorite beat writer as well.  Like I said I saw ppl saying it was done and from my experience I just laughed cuz when a 17-18 year old kid has officials left there is no chance it's over. I love our insiders and believe they are directly connected to the staff but why not just say what you hear.  We've seen people who knew lavin directly get burned on briscoe (which I knew Lav and heard the same) when all they had to say was "staff is confident we get briscoe".  Too many times kids change their minds on a dime to say anything definitively .

goredmen

« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:56 AM »
I don't profess to be an insider but I do hear some things, have some connections directly to the program and my question becomes...... If you hear something, why not just say what you hear? Honest question. You don't have to give up sources but at the best the coaching staff was hearing from ponds "I want to go to sju but I'm going to take my visits".......because that's exactly what happened. So why say it's the stone cold lock of the century and no chance he goes anywhere but sju? Then turn around and be like " recruiting is crazy, things change". This goes for every ones favorite beat writer as well.  Like I said I saw ppl saying it was done and from my experience I just laughed cuz when a 17-18 year old kid has officials left there is no chance it's over. I love our insiders and believe they are directly connected to the staff but why not just say what you hear.  We've seen people who knew lavin directly get burned on briscoe (which I knew Lav and heard the same) when all they had to say was "staff is confident we get briscoe".  Too many times kids change their minds on a dime to say anything definitively .

Amen. No matter what insiders or beat reporters hear and post about recruits, nothing is ever greater than 90% until the kid signs his LOI

« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2015, 12:40:17 AM »
I would like to clarify. Guys like paultzman, happy and sju79 are integral members of our fan base and incredibly valuable sources of info. I completely appreciate their input. The problem for me becomes when people see that things are etched in stone with 17 to 18 year old kids and end up getting burned and we look foolish to other fan bases in the college b ball community.  Kids are too unpredictable to say things are 100 % a done deal when they still have visits left. That's my only point. For all I know our insiders are directly hooked up to our staff but not even our staff can be sure about what a child is gonna do in this crazy world lol. Hope my comments weren't taken out of context in direct contradiction to our best posters just trying to understand the way of thinking.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2015, 01:00:01 AM »
I think he goes to PC just a gut feeling.

« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2015, 03:15:13 AM »
it'll be great to land him obviously, but we are off to a great start with Yakwe for '16 and Lovette and Mussini will be sophomores. If his mother is so bent on him getting out of town maybe its the best thing for both parties. Belive it or not his mom may know him better then some of our posters lol and she could be saving us future headaches possibly.

paultzman

« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
I would like to clarify. Guys like paultzman, happy and sju79 are integral members of our fan base and incredibly valuable sources of info. I completely appreciate their input. The problem for me becomes when people see that things are etched in stone with 17 to 18 year old kids and end up getting burned and we look foolish to other fan bases in the college b ball community.  Kids are too unpredictable to say things are 100 % a done deal when they still have visits left. That's my only point. For all I know our insiders are directly hooked up to our staff but not even our staff can be sure about what a child is gonna do in this crazy world lol. Hope my comments weren't taken out of context in direct contradiction to our best posters just trying to understand the way of thinking.
I just share what I hear from reliable people close to the program, knowing, as you said, recruiting is dynamic & can change on a dime. like Dinkins, I don't lose sleep if we lose out on kids, even when perceived to be leading. Staff is often surprised, but just moves on to plan B. That works for me as well.

Poison

« Reply #427 on: September 25, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »
The roster has a point guard. A top 100 kid. If he's eligible, we can all step off the ledge. This idea that a recruit is a must get is never the case. Kids have always left NYC. Maybe because they need a change of scenery, and others leave because they're being paid. Some just don't want to deal with the pressure and responsibility of bringing STJ back.

I'm not going to be happy of Shamorie opts for New England over his hometown school but consider this: St.John's is more of an unknown now than they have ever been. That's a lot for some people to accept. Many recruits just want a sure thing. Once Chris Mullin shows that he can coach, once he shows that young players improve in his system, I really believe that the floodgates will open.

Everyone keeps talking about how Ponds is a very important recruit. Recruits are very important. I hope, and believe that our staff is smart enough not to bank on any one player coming here to save us. It's about the program, the coach and his system. Let's see how Marcus LoVett, Malik Ellison and the Italian kid handle the backcourt this year. For all we know, the backcourt is set, and we simply don't have any playing time available for Shamorie Ponds.

SJU79

« Reply #428 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
I believe Shaun is precisely right and no need to clarify..I should be using my words more carefully. I have previously used terms such as  100%, lock and those were exactly the terms I heard either form the staff, family or AAU guys but it should be, as Shaun and Paul and others have so eloquently mentioned these are kids who change their mind on a whim and until its done nothing is really done, as I have learned from quite a few kids in the past years. As far as this young man is concerned he would like to attend SJU, his HS coach would like him to attend SJU and due to prior reports neither his parents have anything against SJU. Let me also say that while Coach Cooley is not a personal fav of mine if he did indeed use the race card(which I have no factual evidence of) I assure you he's not the first,nor the last nor honestly do I find it that deplorable. Is it bad if SJU or ND uses its religious believes to help land a kind form a religious background?  I have known 2 member of this staff for a LONG LONG time and they will represent this university well. As for the delay with the Ponds announcement I have heard rumors but they are just that and i can tell you for certain that the staff feels comfortable with where they stand and how they have presented themselves.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:40:45 AM by SJU79 »

« Reply #429 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:50 AM »
The number one reason I read this board is  for the information that Paultzman, Happy and SJU79 pass along to us. I also thank Dave for giving us this board. Fordham also has info from time to time that I appreciate. The rest of the board is entertainment. If I need an intelligent laugh there's FOAD. The whack jobs I've learned to skip over. But once again thanks to the big three, whether your info turns out to be right or wrong it's appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 10:06:17 AM by Moon Mullen »

hnk

« Reply #430 on: September 25, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
Agree 100%..even if one of them hates me

« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2015, 10:17:12 AM »
Seton Hall. His father will be named assistant coach

paultzman

« Reply #432 on: September 25, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
The number one reason I read this board is  for the information that Paultzman, Happy and SJU79 pass along to us. I also thank Dave for giving us this board. Fordham also has info from time to time that I appreciate. The rest of the board is entertainment. If I need an intelligent laugh there's FOAD. The whack jobs I've learned to skip over. But once again thanks to the big three, whether your info turns out to be right or wrong it's appreciated.

Thanks man!

DFF6

« Reply #433 on: September 25, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »
Seton Hall. His father will be named assistant coach

Post of the day!

« Reply #434 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »
Here are my 2 cents ( I have ZERO connections and only go by what i read on twitter and here).

my gut tells me that Shamorie's parents are a bit weary of an unproven head coach.  i think this will drag into the spring with the thought of seeing how Mullin, staff and team do. 

again, i have ZERO connections or insider knowledge.  just my sense.

cjfish

« Reply #435 on: September 25, 2015, 12:23:40 PM »

lets face it, we are all fans but to spend as much time as we do on the site makes us all a bit wacky.  Agree on the good info guys.   Hell, I went to Fordham but have been rooting for SJU prior to when I enrolled there in 1966.  First College game I ever saw and fond memories of pickup and whacking better players in the gym.

QuanMan

« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
This has to end soon I'm losing my mind.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
https://stjohns.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1171&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1806958

SJU Head Coach Chris Mullin and assistant coaches Barry Rohrssen, and Matt Abdelmassih are three smart, hard-working men who know quite a bit about basketball. However, they are selling an idea. They are selling a dream. They are selling recruits that, with their help, they can wake up a sleeping giant that has been hibernating since they were born. They are telling them that just because big things haven't happened recently doesn't mean they can't.

Shamorie Ponds could be the first high-profile recruit to buy into those three men's dream, one that we all share, instead of real, proven products such as Providence. It's now their job to work together so that future recruits won't have to listen to tales about the glory days of New York basketball, which didn't even occur in this century. Those recruits won't have to trust and hope that Chris Mullin's playing skill can translate into coaching skill. Instead they can see that collective work result in success, and true program-changers such as Trevon Duval, Nazreon Reid, and Rowan Barrett Jr. will see a standing-room-only Madison Square Garden with their own two eyes.

If (when?) that begins to happen, St. John's basketball will be back and better than ever. But until that day, it is just me, you, Coach Mullin, and Ponds, dreaming about greatness. Hoping for greatness. And most importantly, believing that greatness at St. John's in the 21st century won't be an idea. It will become a reality.

Article is also extremely complimentary of providence.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:11:35 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

wpc77

« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2015, 03:41:01 PM »
https://stjohns.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=1171&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1806958

SJU Head Coach Chris Mullin and assistant coaches Barry Rohrssen, and Matt Abdelmassih are three smart, hard-working men who know quite a bit about basketball. However, they are selling an idea. They are selling a dream. They are selling recruits that, with their help, they can wake up a sleeping giant that has been hibernating since they were born. They are telling them that just because big things haven't happened recently doesn't mean they can't.

Shamorie Ponds could be the first high-profile recruit to buy into those three men's dream, one that we all share, instead of real, proven products such as Providence. It's now their job to work together so that future recruits won't have to listen to tales about the glory days of New York basketball, which didn't even occur in this century. Those recruits won't have to trust and hope that Chris Mullin's playing skill can translate into coaching skill. Instead they can see that collective work result in success, and true program-changers such as Trevon Duval, Nazreon Reid, and Rowan Barrett Jr. will see a standing-room-only Madison Square Garden with their own two eyes.

If (when?) that begins to happen, St. John's basketball will be back and better than ever. But until that day, it is just me, you, Coach Mullin, and Ponds, dreaming about greatness. Hoping for greatness. And most importantly, believing that greatness at St. John's in the 21st century won't be an idea. It will become a reality.

That article is written like an 8th grade English essay.  Yuck

Poison

« Reply #439 on: September 25, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »

If Providence is proven, then so are we. We both lost in Round 1 of the NCAA tournament. Sorry, but winning a BE tournament without Uconn, Louisville, Pitt, WV and Syracuse doesn't mean anything close to what it used to mean. It's the same as winning the A10 tourney.