Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #480 on: September 28, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Dave,

Or anyone with knowledge of the situation. Was McCullough ours at any point? I remember a post back in the day that McCullough really looked up to D-Buckets. Hardy was telling him SJU is great, keep the legacy going, etc. There was a perception that the previous staff was lackadaisical once they thought they had him.

Any truth to that? Thank you.

I recall McCullough stating St. John's and Syracuse was (paraphrase) "coming at him the hardest."  You win some and lose some in the recruiting game. 

Regardless, that's all water under the bridge at this point.  Let's look forward to Ponds' imminent commitment.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:21:32 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #481 on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
Dave,

Or anyone with knowledge of the situation. Was McCullough ours at any point? I remember a post back in the day that McCullough really looked up to D-Buckets. Hardy was telling him SJU is great, keep the legacy going, etc. There was a perception that the previous staff was lackadaisical once they thought they had him.

I recall McCullough stating St. John's and Syracuse was (paraphrase) "coming at him the hardest."  You win some and lose some in the recruiting game. 

Regardless, that's all water under the bridge at this point.  Let's look forward to Ponds' imminent commitment.

Imminent? That's pretty bold.

« Reply #482 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
Dave,

I remember a post from KOB or someone else that after lacin had one of those summer camps Chris wanted to commit on the spot but staff slowed him down on that and wanted to take their time and this was before he blew up. I'm pretty sure I read that

QuanMan

« Reply #483 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »
Poison, there is reason to be bold. Tomorrow is going to be a celebration. Mullin and his crew are coming through and backing up his 'keeping talent home' comments from this Spring. Yakwe and Shamorie are just the beginning of the movement, get excited.
Section 3
Section 116

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #484 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »
Is this done? Haven't really seen anyone in the know confirm it for sure. But until he actually announces it I won't get my hopes up.

Poison

« Reply #485 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:06 PM »
Poison, there is reason to be bold. Tomorrow is going to be a celebration. Mullin and his crew are coming through and backing up his 'keeping talent home' comments from this Spring. Yakwe and Shamorie are just the beginning of the movement, get excited.

I'll get excited at 2:31 thank you very much.

« Reply #486 on: September 28, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
Is this done? Haven't really seen anyone in the know confirm it for sure. But until he actually announces it I won't get my hopes up.

I think you'll find out tomorrow
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #487 on: September 28, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »
Dave,

I have McCullough on video telling me St. John's was his dream school. He wanted to commit when he was a freshman but staff didn't want him to commit only to decommit later. ex. Mustapha Heron to Pitt

He blew up and bigger schools started calling and he was long gone.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #488 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »
Thank you to all with their McCullough feedback.

Moose

« Reply #489 on: September 29, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
Also heard McCullough didn't have a great dynamic with some of the players who were here at the time and some of his unofficial visits to campus didnt go so well.  But anyway back to Ponds.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #490 on: September 29, 2015, 09:52:24 AM »
Briscoe and Anderson were from new jersey which is close but not local in my mind. I want Ponds. He is the best player from our city.

Just asking, but is Ponds ranked as the best player in the city? Or would that still be Awkins even though he left?

Alkins is higher but different positions. Ponds will be electric with Lovett and Mussini. I don't want to get too lofty in my comparisons but their style of play would be reminiscent of Kyle Lowry, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi. 3 quick guards who can all score and create off the dribble.

Thank you for the analysis. The video I saw of Ponds from May 2015, made me think of Erick Barkley - my favorite all time St.John's point guard. So, should he choose to stay home, I'm hopeful he'll do well here.

Reminds me of Elijah Ingram.

Before everyone gets mad, Ingram was a McDonald's All American and probably more highly rated coming out of HS than Ponds

TONYD3

« Reply #491 on: September 29, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
Ingram would have been good on any other team .

Poison

« Reply #492 on: September 29, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
Briscoe and Anderson were from new jersey which is close but not local in my mind. I want Ponds. He is the best player from our city.

Just asking, but is Ponds ranked as the best player in the city? Or would that still be Awkins even though he left?

Alkins is higher but different positions. Ponds will be electric with Lovett and Mussini. I don't want to get too lofty in my comparisons but their style of play would be reminiscent of Kyle Lowry, Randy Foye, and Mike Nardi. 3 quick guards who can all score and create off the dribble.

Thank you for the analysis. The video I saw of Ponds from May 2015, made me think of Erick Barkley - my favorite all time St.John's point guard. So, should he choose to stay home, I'm hopeful he'll do well here.

Reminds me of Elijah Ingram.

Before everyone gets mad, Ingram was a McDonald's All American and probably more highly rated coming out of HS than Ponds

Dear God. I hope not. Ingram (If I recall, he was ranked between 20-25 nationally) came from a powerhouse program like Tarik Turner, and that probably had a lot to do with the hype surrounding his recruitment. Ingram might be the worst McDonald's All American in the history of the BE conference.

Poison

« Reply #493 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:16 AM »
Does anyone know if it will be possible to watch the press conference online? If so, where? Thanks in advance.

MCNPA

« Reply #494 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:21 AM »
I'm not sure how he reminds anybody of Ingram.  Ingram was 5'9" at best and had a push shot from his chest.  Shamorie a lot taller, has high release, is a lot more fluid taking the ball to the hoop.   Shamorie's game has zero similarities to Elijah Ingram except that they both play basketball.

« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
I'm not sure how he reminds anybody of Ingram.  Ingram was 5'9" at best and had a push shot from his chest.  Shamorie a lot taller, has high release, is a lot more fluid taking the ball to the hoop.   Shamorie's game has zero similarities to Elijah Ingram except that they both play basketball.

Build and the Jumper (higher yes, but still would be considered a push shot). Was not meant as an insult as again Ingram was higher ranked no matter how it turned. Obviously I hope and expect Ponds to be better and he will have a better coach.

pmg911

« Reply #496 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »

NYC has been really depleted of talent for a number of years now. I'll even extend it to all of NY...

2015- Cheick Diallo (recruited), Thomas Bryant (he's crazy), Jessie Govan (wasn't interested), Tyler Lydon (no shot he was pure Cuse)
2014- Isaiah Whitehead (recruited), Chris McCullough (He preferred Cuse), Terry Larrier (you all know I liked him a lot), Angel Delgado (SHU did great job recruiting him), Khadeem Carrington (SHU was a better fit)
2103- Dakari Johnson (no shot), Jermaine Lawrence (was too crazy), Kentan Facey (project thin year for bigs)
2012- DaJuan Coleman (no shot), Omar Calhoun (him and DLO would have been too much personality), Chris Obekpa (got him), Mike Tobey (not a good fit), Melvin Johnson (would have recruited the hell out of him but had no space)

You just made a point I have been talking about for a long time Dave...

How many of all those kids graduated from schools in NYC..? When they graduate, are they acknowledged nationally as being from NYC or are they associated from what ever basketball factory they actually finish at..?

**McCullough left NYC after his Freshman year, he is not a product on NYC high school basketball
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:03:13 PM by Dave »

« Reply #497 on: September 29, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
BTW those silly Kenny Anderson, Tiny Archibold and Brandon Jennings comparisons people were throwing around are not doing the kid any favors!

Poison

« Reply #498 on: September 29, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
BTW those silly Kenny Anderson, Tiny Archibold and Brandon Jennings comparisons people were throwing around are not doing the kid any favors!

Yea, but when has hype ever hurt an SJU player?

« Reply #499 on: September 29, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »

Yea, but when has hype ever hurt an SJU player?

Joke right?