Obekpa

• 479 replies

Tiznow

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #360 on: April 14, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »
at this point, not allowing him to come back would be a PR disaster for St. John's/Lavin. With Greene actively imploring fans to "show Obekpa love" on twitter and with fans obliging, it almost seems like the team hasn't left Lavin any choice.   Even the St. John's twitter guy openly said a transfer could change his mind.

I think this is all a formality.

Is it less a PR disaster than having our coach who professes that there are some things more important than winning begging some kid who in the know posters have christened "a cancer" and who allegedly refused to enter a crucial game because his feelings were hurt to come back for another season? That's more or less a rhetorical question, I love the idea of pompous gasbag Steve Lavin choking on it. Who will be the first to use the magic word redemption? Or is it be that Lavin's hoping Obekpa returns just so he can suspend him? Tune in tomorrow to find out the answers to these and other beguiling questions on As The Prostate Turns.

In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"?  Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

Marillac

« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
Personally, I think Dom is going to step up this year with the larger role.  He made such a big jump from his frosh to soph years likely to working his butt off in the off season.  He didn't make another jump like I hoped he would this year, if anything he regressed.  Hopefully he sees that opportunity again this year and is doing the same.   He could be a real X factor for us this season (as long as he's playing the 3 and not ridiculously undersized at 4). 

Not to mention his outstanding offensive rebounding.  :angel:

I'm going to give Dom the benefit of the doubt.  I think the worst thing that happened to this team was Dom hitting the game winning shot against St. Joe's in the NIT.  They came into the year expecting to be in the tournament and go from there.  Dom came in expecting to be the kind of player that takes and makes those kinds of shots.  He will should never touch the ball in a situation like that again...forget taking the final shot.  He needs to go back to the drawing board and realize what the scouts saw in him to rank him so high....hustle, rebounding, defense, grit, and toughness.  Not this artificial, let me amp myself up and act like a nice person toughness.

We need a wing.  Simple as that.  We got no production from the wing last season and it really hurt. 

Foad

« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »
... Tune in tomorrow to find out the answers to these and other beguiling questions on As The Prostate Turns.

Guess you think that prostate cancer cracks are funny. Sadly, many of us don't.

That is sad.

Foad

« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"? 

Sorry, in-the-know was meant ironically. Sometimes I forget what plonkers some readers are. In future I'll festoon my japes with smiley faces so you can identify them.

Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

I don't ridicule the coach for having prostate cancer. I ridicule the coach for blaming his professional failures on his prostate. It's hardly a subtle distinction and yet it went right over your head.

Poison

« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »
Personally, I think Dom is going to step up this year with the larger role.  He made such a big jump from his frosh to soph years likely to working his butt off in the off season.  He didn't make another jump like I hoped he would this year, if anything he regressed.  Hopefully he sees that opportunity again this year and is doing the same.   He could be a real X factor for us this season (as long as he's playing the 3 and not ridiculously undersized at 4). 

Not to mention his outstanding offensive rebounding.  :angel:

I'm going to give Dom the benefit of the doubt.  I think the worst thing that happened to this team was Dom hitting the game winning shot against St. Joe's in the NIT.  They came into the year expecting to be in the tournament and go from there.  Dom came in expecting to be the kind of player that takes and makes those kinds of shots.  He will should never touch the ball in a situation like that again...forget taking the final shot.  He needs to go back to the drawing board and realize what the scouts saw in him to rank him so high....hustle, rebounding, defense, grit, and toughness.  Not this artificial, let me amp myself up and act like a nice person toughness.

We need a wing.  Simple as that.  We got no production from the wing last season and it really hurt. 

Dom needs to stop acting like an emotionally unstable 5 year old. He's going to a senior, and one of 3 seniors from Lavin's storied class. I cannot remember the last time such a highly ranked and highly coveted recruit has carried himself with such little class, and delivered so rarely in every way.

It's time for him to look in the mirror. This is one example where no one can blame Lavin. Pointer needs to grow up already.

boo3

« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »
Obekpa done deal to come back?

« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
Who on the staff works with the big men?

SJUFAN

« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »

Is that a rhetorical question? It's Whitesell, don't your person "close" to the program know that?

pmg911

« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »

Is that a rhetorical question? It's Whitesell, don't your person "close" to the program know that?

I believe Rico Hines does a lot of the work with the big men...

« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »

So the staff has had someone working with the bigs? Wow.
Thanks for the scoop

boo3

« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
 I thought CO improved offensively from fresh to soph....I mean, there was nowhere to go but up, but still.. He showed a few things last season that he never did as a Frosh...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:08:14 PM by boo3 »

hnk

« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
at least a half an hour after virtually e very practice w Whitesell.....and you could start to see the difference

desco80

« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
I thought CO improved offensively from fresh to soph....I mean, there was nowhere to go but up, but still.. He showed a few things last season that he never did as a Frosh...

His rebounding was better as well.   
When he first got here his positioning was pretty bad, but he's gotten much better at boxing out. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »

So the staff has had someone working with the bigs? Wow.
Thanks for the scoop

So every Big needs to develop a game like Olajuwon over the course of two years and if not its on the staff? How many Bigs in high level D1 ball fail to develop over the course of four years? Look at all the Bigs who came out of Uconn this past decade, I don't see any of them developing a post game. What's your point?

Tha Kid

« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

Totally agreed.  Baldi is just grasping at straws at this point.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
I just don't see any improvement. Gift got worse and he stayed an extra year with the staff. Sanchez barely looked like a D1 player.

« Reply #376 on: April 15, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
3ppg and 4rpg is considered improvement?

Tha Kid

« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »

He averaged 6.5 and 5.6 once he started getting more significant minutes in the 10 game stretch from the Creighton loss through the Marquette OT win.  He also scored double figures in 4 of 5 games at one point.

But of course as a huge st johns fan, you should know this right?  The improvements and increased stats were obvious to anyone watching.  An Iona fan who doesnt watch st johns would resort to season statistics he pulled off ESPN and have no memory of his improvement...but I believe you're a st johns fan, so you are either (A) trying to stir the pot or (B) I'm wrong about how big a fan you are.  Which is it?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
So his run of double figure scoring games brought his average up to 3ppg?

SJUFAN

« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »

You can't look at the numbers, you have to watch his game, his moves, his footwork, understanding how to use his body to create seperation from his defender. He displayed a hook shot that wasn't there his first year. This was Whitesell's first year with the program and you could see the improvment in Obekpa. This is a process that can happen slowly, rapidly, or not at all. Some players get it some don't, but they are being worked with.