Obekpa

• 479 replies

goredmen

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
We didn't make the tourny with both of these dudes. See ya

Then just think how bad we will be without them.

Can it get any worse? NIT is a joke, no one cares

Can it get worse than being a bubble team and 20 wins? What short memories some of us have.

We weren't a bubble team at the end of the season. We had no chance of hearing our name on selection Sunday. That's not a bubble team

1 seed in the NIT, rumored we were one of 4 teams considered for the last spot, so yes, we were a bubble team. On the outside looking in, yeah, but still classified as a bubble team.

Don't know where you heard the rumors of us being one of the 4 teams considered for that last spot because I didn't hear anything like that. Fact remains nobody was sitting on pins and needles Sunday waiting to see if we got in or not. The NIT would give us a 1 seed whenever they get the chance. They want us to go far and make it to MSG. That makes them more money

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
 10 wins = 20 wins   ???

Norm had a pretty good run then.

goredmen

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »
10 wins = 20 wins   ???

When teams are playing 40 regular season games 10 years from now will 20 wins still be an accomplishment? How is 20 wins considered good if it doesn't translate into being one of the 4 best teams in this watered down conference or one of the 40 or so best teams in college basketball? Why schedule Wisconsin, Syracuse and play in Maui and other preseason tournaments when you can instead schedule a bunch of NEC MAAC and Big South teams to ensure you get to 20 wins if 20 wins is such a great accomplishment?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:15:03 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
It's not about the amount of wins anymore, it's the quality of those wins.

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
10 wins = 20 wins   ???

When teams are playing 40 regular season games 10 years from now will 20 wins still be an accomplishment? How is 20 wins considered good if it doesn't translate into being one of the 4 best teams in this watered down conference or one of the 40 or so best teams in college basketball? Why schedule Wisconsin, Syracuse and play in Maui and other preseason tournaments when you can instead schedule a bunch of NEC MAAC and Big South teams to ensure you get to 20 wins if 20 wins is such a great accomplishment?

Dude, we were 1 win away from making the tourney. If you can't see the difference between that and a 10 win season, then I don't know what to tell you.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
CO is so much more important that Sampson. I really hope he stays.  He is a better screener, rebounder, defender, and he actually plays his position. 

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »
CO is so much more important that Sampson. I really hope he stays.  He is a better screener, rebounder, defender, and he actually plays his position. 

Agree but sometimes I dont think he does play his position. Strays too far awaay from the hoop on both ends of the court.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:51 PM »
10 wins = 20 wins   ???

Dude, we were 1 win away from making the tourney. If you can't see the difference between that and a 10 win season, then I don't know what to tell you.

Weird how you bring up rumors about us being one of the 4 considered for the last spot but neglect to mention the fact that a committee member said Providence wasn't in until they won the BET. We weren't 1 win away from making it. But hey, if you are this accepting of mediocrity I don't know what to tell you

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »

Agree but sometimes I dont think he does play his position. Strays too far awaay from the hoop on both ends of the court.

So true.  I think the defensive lapses were due to the scheme, though.  Hopefully that will be remedied and they go with a Louisville style matchup zone press. 
The trio of Sampso-Sanchez-Pointer played out of position more than any players I've ever seen.  That was the mistake crew...any time any of them dribbled I just closed my eyes. 

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »

CO had his struggles but certainly his impact on games is undeniable.  And to be fair he had an up and down season at best with glimpses of being the player we all hope he becomes with St. John's.  I thought he spent most of his time in the post but to your point the problem occurs when he isn't getting touches he drifts. which is understandable but not condoned.  Post players need to get touches...not plays run for them or even shots but they need touches.  Our guards don't do well in the pick and roll and don't pass to the post enough to keep the defense honest.  When CO played well offensively he added a different dynamic to the team and allowed the guards get shots or penetrate easier.  He is far from a finished product but he showed potential...enough for me to hope he comes back and get more touches next season....also can a coach work with him on FT shooting, boxing out and maybe not leading the country in goal tending...if he just improves those 3 he's a much better player. 
Follow me @ek_underdog

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
The way people are talking about Obekpa and his relationship/happiness with Lavin, no way that doesn't effect Diallo and his thinking.

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
Jay @JayOn_1
@BrianHoffman07 it took a lot of convincing but he's staying. The guy really thought he would get drafted this year

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
@TheCartelli 2h
@LAVINWOOD @fritzy327 @JayOn_1 I heard Obekpa is headed west...

@JayOn_1 3m
Nothin confirmed yet but if Obepka does leave then good riddens, that guy quite on the team in the big east tournament

@JayOn_1 1m
Lav told him to check in the game in the 2nd half and he flat out said no, don't want a selfish guy line that on my team #Sjubb

@JayOn_1 2m
He's not as good as he thinks he is @obekpa12 #sjubb

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
@LAVINWOOD: Multiple people telling me that Obekpa is transferring. Can't confirm anything right now, just a Twitter rumor as of now. #sjubb

SJUFAN

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
@LAVINWOOD: Multiple people telling me that Obekpa is transferring. Can't confirm anything right now, just a Twitter rumor as of now. #sjubb

This would be bad. Why wasn't 14' a focus for the staff again?

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
Lavin won't make it through this week

DFF6

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »

This is the point of the movie where the poor folks in steerage see the water coming under their doors.

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »

This is the point of the movie where the poor folks in steerage see the water coming under their doors.

Funny line!

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2014, 07:25:11 PM »
It's a sad state of affairs when the most excitement and buzz happens off the court and after the season is over...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
At what point do these kids look at themselves as possibly being the problem?

That's right they won't.