Obekpa

• 479 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
Don't treat any of them as gospel. Just note that something smells rotten in Denmark.

I think that was essentially what Kevin said on Redmen. He is very close to the program and simply stated the people he spoke to, assumably SJU contacts, indicated Chris was leaving. I simply shared his post which I think is appropriate. Frankly I heard rumors and his post added to my concern.

I think there are two sides to this coming out as well.
1) Chris was unhappy and thinking of leaving,  some of the rumors are coming from people who have heard this.
2) The staff is unhappy with Chris and wants him to shape and get with the program, or pack his bags.  The other comments are coming from people who have heard this from the staff or people close to the program.

The CO leaving rumors have been coming from two angles.    That said, he could still end up staying.

I agree with you. There are two sides to a story/rumor and then there is the truth.

Time will tell what happens here.

TONYD3

« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
Coach absolutely has shortcomings . But everything can't be blamed on him. Obekpa has to grow up. These guys have nice lives. But they have to earn it .

Marillac

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
He's a mercurial kid, but he's a good kid.  I think he ends up staying, but I have no info.  I think Harrison and Pointer will settle him down and get him focused...of course there is also Felix.  Whitesell is a good fit for him and they seem to have a good relationship from where I stand.

This team can still end up being very, very good next year.  Let's not write the obituary just yet. 

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2014, 01:06:53 PM »
He's a mercurial kid, but he's a good kid.  I think he ends up staying, but I have no info.  I think Harrison and Pointer will settle him down and get him focused...of course there is also Felix.  Whitesell is a good fit for him and they seem to have a good relationship from where I stand.

This team can still end up being very, very good next year.  Let's not write the obituary just yet. 

Or maybe not...what do I know?

Jay ‏@JayOn_1 · 1m
Breaking news coming soon and it's not good #sjubb

Foad

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
I think Harrison and Pointer will settle him down

Who's going to settle Pointer down? Chris Brown?

LoganK

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »

Jay ‏@JayOn_1 · 1m

Just saw that.  At what point do we get to say things can only get better from here?

Foad

« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »

Jay ‏@JayOn_1 · 1m

Just saw that.  At what point do we get to say things can only get better from here?

Obekpa has left the building.

« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »
Jesus. This team is gonna be awful without Obekpa.

paultzman

« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2014, 01:18:12 PM »

Jay ‏@JayOn_1 · 1m

So has Loughlin Guy.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:19:02 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »
It's OK, I'm not worried.   Lavin is a good face of the program.  He gets us mentioned in the newspapers guys!

paultzman

« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
@JayOn_1: Obekpa is leaving the program.

« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
and now for something completely different , a man with 2 buttocks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:35:02 PM by valgoth »

desco80

« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2014, 01:35:50 PM »

« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »

Jay ‏@JayOn_1 · 1m

So has Loughlin Guy.  ;)

Ha, ha, ha! No official bet was ever made. But Loughlin should at least buy Desco a beer next year.

« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
And when I first got wind of this story  a month ago I was crucified. Smh. Don't kill the messenger
Motto of board has to be Chill on the Chilleb hearsay

paultzman

« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »

« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I hear you, Paultz. Is what it is at this point. Lack of any positive news is just disheartening. Would be nice to be mentioned with a transfer or 2014 recruit other than Adonis. Plenty of time though.

Agree on badly needed positive news for sure.
just don't put that comment on twitter- sure ban material - scandalous I say!  :2funny:

SJUFAN

« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
I thought Lavin was supposed to be a players' coach. If this is true it will be real interesting to see what happens next. I wouldn't be bothered if the staff was doing there job and bringing players from the 14' class in. It's not just Lavin, Chiles is suppose to be a top notch recruiter, what was he doing? I just would like someone to explain to the fan base the staff's strategy as to why 14' wasn't an important year. Even if Obekpa and Sampson stayed we still need players. We are sill a program in the middle of a rebuilding process, three years in and you decide to take a year off like we accomplished something? If Obekpa leaves and the staff doesn't pull a rabbit out of there ass I may be leaning towards the dark side. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:56:53 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
how did this all turn out so poorly?

« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
If he transfers I will buy a round for all. Not just for Desco. Still do not believe he is transferring. Won't sit out a year. Nuts if he does. Can't say there is family hardship or sick parent to get exemption. Makes no sense. He may be asked to leave but he will try pro route. Not transfer. If he does transfer time and date will be announced for a round. Ant it won't be first time logic is defied, I am sorry to say.