Obekpa

• 479 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »
I thought Lavin was supposed to be a players' coach. If this is true it will be real interesting to see what happens next. I wouldn't be bothered if the staff was doing there job and bringing players from the 14' class in. It's not just Lavin, Chiles is suppose to be a top notch recruiter, what was he doing? I just would like someone to explain to the fan base the staff's strategy as to why 14' wasn't an important year. Even if Obekpa and Sampson stayed we still need players. We are sill a program in the middle of a rebuilding process, three years in and you decide to take a year off like we accomplished something? If Obekpa leaves and the staff doesn't pull a rabbit out of there ass I may be leaning towards the dark side.
He's a player's coach, but you better play hard...or else...

paultzman

« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
If he transfers I will buy a round for all. Not just for Desco. Still do not believe he is transferring. Won't sit out a year. Nuts if he does. Can't say there is family hardship or sick parent to get exemption. Makes no sense. He may be asked to leave but he will try pro route. Not transfer. If he does transfer time and date will be announced for a round. Ant it won't be first time logic is defied, I am sorry to say.

@NYPost_Brazille: Per source, St John's forward Chris Obekpa has been granted a release to transfer. #sjubb

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
If a player puts himself ahead of the team, I'd rather he be gone.  That said, I don't know what went on with Obekpa in the PC game.  If he did refuse to go back into the game, I can see how the team would be down for the Robert Morris game.  This is ridiculous.  Kids have to have some respect for authority if they want to play a team game.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:01:11 PM by simplyred »

desco80

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2014, 02:04:22 PM »
If a player puts himself ahead of the team, I'd rather he be gone.  That said, I don't know what went on with Obekpa in the PC game.  If he did refuse to go back into the game, I can see how the team would be down for the Robert amorris game.  This is ridiculous.  Kids have to have some respect for authority if they want to play a team game.

This is all true.  I'm sure he's a pain in the a$$ to coach, and not necessarily somebody you'd want on your team. 
But then why did we recruit him?   
And even if you give Lav the benefit of the doubt on recruiting him, he had to take some chances and all of that,  this kid was still thinking about leaving last season, how is there not a backup plan?

Chilleb

« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
Sucks.. But it was only a matter of time.on the bright side good news is on the way  , let me have it paultz

« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
why do i always read about only childs and lavin recruiting.  as pitino said emphatically years ago you need 4 coaches to recruit....whitsell and hinds get a pass?  remember when the esteemed al lobalbo bragged he could not be bothered to recruit...just hire mckillop and build from within [if it okay with rutledge that is].

mkras99

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
Sucks.. But it was only a matter of time.on the bright side good news is on the way  , let me have it paultz

Assume that means something better than DelaRosa?

« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
If a player puts himself ahead of the team, I'd rather he be gone.  That said, I don't know what went on with Obekpa in the PC game.  If he did refuse to go back into the game, I can see how the team would be down for the Robert Morris game.  This is ridiculous.  Kids have to have some respect for authority if they want to play a team game.
The occurrence was not the problem, the player's response to the incident is key.

DLo had an incident.  He owned up, moved on, grew from it.

Maryland had a similar incident to Obekpa's.  Charles Mitchell got into it with AC Spinelli, sent to locker room, spent 2nd half in warmups.  Worked it out, manned up, and no problems rest of year.

It's all what a player makes of it.  CO might be more emotionally immature than we realize.  those close to the program might leak out some of that eventually.  Time for him to grow up.

Chilleb

« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
And when I first got wind of this story  a month ago I was crucified. Smh. Don't kill the messenger
Motto of board has to be Chill on the Chilleb hearsay
dont know how to take that? but ha! I guess

« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
Mass email was just sent out to every unsigned 6'7"+, HS senior basketball player. First 4 to respond gets a schollie.

Chilleb

« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
but as far as chris is concerned , every major player in the other power conferences is getting ready to go all in on him, so we can kill him all we want but at the end of the day, the kid is a player.

Chilleb

« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Mass email was just sent out to every unsigned 6'7"+, HS senior basketball player. First 4 to respond gets a schollie.
still got a 7 footer ready to announce on the 18th.. lol

« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »
Funny after what happened with Harrison last season, he's gonna be the last one standing on this team

« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
And when I first got wind of this story  a month ago I was crucified. Smh. Don't kill the messenger
Sometimes, we're a bit too reactionary on the board (myself included).  I still like reading material about inner rumblings as long as it has a semi-legitimate origin.

« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
but as far as chris is concerned , every major player in the other power conferences is getting ready to go all in on him, so we can kill him all we want but at the end of the day, the kid is a player.
Ironically, he'll prolly pick a program where the coach will break his shoes even more than here.  SJ's might seem like a country club by the time it's too late for him - lol
'

Chilleb

« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Sometimes, we're a bit too reactionary on the board (myself included).  I still like reading material about inner rumblings as long as it has a semi-legitimate origin.
guess it was the kid ended up leaving..

« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

Help us out here, we need anything lol. Does this big news come on April 18th? Im hoping it is something other than that. Thanks chilleb
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Chilleb

« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Ironically, he'll prolly pick a program where the coach will break his shoes even more than here.  SJ's might seem like a country club by the time it's too late for him - lol
'

true but does that speak to our weakness and to other programs stregnth which translates into winning for them and loosing to us? or should our recruits enjoy the fact that when they come here they arent getting prepared for the next level and more prepared for the country club. regardless of that coaching staff has got to do a better job of tightning things up ive been told, but in chris's case it dosent make a difference where he goes one more year and hes getting drafted. this kid was good in a system-less program imagine what a real coach is going to do for him..

DFF6

« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
If he transfers I will buy a round for all. Not just for Desco. Still do not believe he is transferring. Won't sit out a year. Nuts if he does. Can't say there is family hardship or sick parent to get exemption. Makes no sense. He may be asked to leave but he will try pro route. Not transfer. If he does transfer time and date will be announced for a round. Ant it won't be first time logic is defied, I am sorry to say.

Even if Obekpa is a drama case (and I'm not saying he is), transferring to a new program demonsrates just how deeply disconnected Lavin became with this kid. With virtually no competiton for pt next season, he decides to sit out a full year to play somewhere else??  SMH.

« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:54 PM »