Obekpa

• 479 replies

paultzman

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
I'm hearing lav exploring cal. He put out a feeler but they have not recipricated yet

I can't imagine he is in great demand. Perhaps the Mets.

« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
but as far as chris is concerned , every major player in the other power conferences is getting ready to go all in on him, so we can kill him all we want but at the end of the day, the kid is a player.
Ironically, he'll prolly pick a program where the coach will break his shoes even more than here.  SJ's might seem like a country club by the time it's too late for him - lol
'

true but does that speak to our weakness and to other programs stregnth which translates into winning for them and loosing to us? or should our recruits enjoy the fact that when they come here they arent getting prepared for the next level and more prepared for the country club. regardless of that coaching staff has got to do a better job of tightning things up ive been told, but in chris's case it dosent make a difference where he goes one more year and hes getting drafted. this kid was good in a system-less program imagine what a real coach is going to do for him..
I think developing self discipline has to come first from the player's desire to be as good as they can be.  But a staff that recognizes how to recognize what each player needs to be successful in their system is right behind it in importance.

The curious thing to watch for me is to see how much Chris matures with a year away from game time.  He might realize the importance of practicing hard and appreciate how much fun it is to have the opportunity to play in games.  It should help him tremendously in the right situation. 

« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »
D'Angelo to U of Houston...
I said this at the start of last week

« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
D'Angelo to U of Houston...
I said this at the start of last week
I heard Sampson tweeted him 5,000 times already ...   :smiley6600:

goredmen

« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
I'm hearing lav exploring cal. He put out a feeler but they have not recipricated yet

Cal isn't that stupid. They won't go from Hall Of Fame caliber coach to this clown. If they were to consider him at all, the turmoil occurring in our program right now would scare them away once they start to vet him. Lavin will end up like Fran and be an ESPN lifer

« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
Early rumblings from my terps site says Shady Scott Drew's been talking to CO for the past two weeks, Bears and Ducks in the lead.  Altman loves his Mid-west Jucos, now going into transfer mode.

Foad

« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »

I would have said there's no way he leaves after this fiasco, because his brand would be forever damaged. But is if leaves now for Cal, he can back channel to his lickspittles in the press that the players defected because he told them he was leaving for the west coast. He comes out smelling like a rose. We come out smelling.

« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »

I would have said there's no way he leaves after this fiasco, because his brand would be forever damaged. But is if leaves now for Cal, he can back channel to his lickspittles in the press that the players defected because he told them he was leaving for the west coast. He comes out smelling like a rose. We come out smelling.

If he leaves which coach left us in the worst shape, Norm, Jarvis or Lavin?

mkras99

« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »

Jarvis.

« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
What am I missing? If he transfers, CO has to sit out next season. Then he'll enter the draft. Who will waste a ship on him? even if he promises to wait for the '16 draft, I doubt that promise is enforceable. He can change his mind. If he leaves our program, his college ball career is over. he needs to stay here one more year, or hire an agent and try to hook on with an overseas club.

paultzman

« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
What am I missing? If he transfers, CO has to sit out next season. Then he'll enter the draft. Who will waste a ship on him? even if he promises to wait for the '16 draft, I doubt that promise is enforceable. He can change his mind. If he leaves our program, his college ball career is over. he needs to stay here one more year, or hire an agent and try to hook on with an overseas club.

Baylor, Oregon & others.

Foad

« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »

Jarvis < Lavin < Norm. Not even debatable.

dR3w

« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »

I'd say what you are missing is ... he is willing to sit out a year, just to play somewhere else.  Most of the stuff about him thinking he can go pro have never been official (stated by him in the media), although they seem grounded in reality.  It appears that right now he seems to be willing to sit out a year, in return for another year or two of college ball.

« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
Dude is 20 years old right now, by the time he sits out a year he is 21, by the time he plays for his new school he is 22.

At 22, with no offensive game, GOOD LUCK getting drafted. If he stays another year at that school and is 23. It's over

Like Sampson, he needs to capitalize on ANYTHING he has now, or there wont be anything left later.

Tha Kid

« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Dude is 20 years old right now, by the time he sits out a year he is 21, by the time he plays for his new school he is 22.

At 22, with no offensive game, GOOD LUCK getting drafted. If he stays another year at that school and is 23. It's over

Like Sampson, he needs to capitalize on ANYTHING he has now, or there wont be anything left later.

You act like next year is a wasted year because he doesn't play in games.  That's completely wrong.  He gets to practice all season and could make HUGE strides in that year with the right coaching.  It's not a lost cause at all.  It makes perfect sense if he wants to improve and develop an offensive game if he doesn't think he'll find that here.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
would love to hear Kob on this one.

He has always been in close with Obekpa's people.

DFF6

« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
From the Napa Valley Kremlin;

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040314aaa.html

I like the by-line: "Red Storm with six open scholarships headed into Spring signing period".  That's like saying I have 6 bullets but no gun.

« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »

Yeah because we all know life is over at age 23.

« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
I wonder if the players want Obekpa back after the stunt he pulled?
The remaining players took a vote: the results were 1-0 that he should leave.