Darrick Wood - SG - Palm Beach CC - Alexandria, VA - DEPAUL

• 915 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Darrick Wood - SG - Bridgton Academy - Alexandria, VA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #800 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
If he goes to a JUCO does he have to stay there for 2 years? I think some of you stated that was the case with Chandler.

Moose

« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
If he goes to a JUCO does he have to stay there for 2 years? I think some of you stated that was the case with Chandler.

You have to stay 2 years if you can't qualify out of HS.  Seems that is the case.  If you are eligible out of HS (ala Nuri) then you can get 3 yrs back.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #802 on: July 06, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

You have to stay 2 years if you can't qualify out of HS.  Seems that is the case.  If you are eligible out of HS (ala Nuri) then you can get 3 yrs back.

Not sure that's true, Moose.  Pretty sure Nuri WAS in JC for 2 years.  I thought he got three years back because he didn't play his first year at JC.   All part of that 5 years to play 4 deal from the NCAA.

Which makes me wonder what Nuri's situation is NOW.    He's played 1 year of JC, 1 year of D-1.   But he also sat out his first year out of high school at JC, and now is sitting out a transfer year.   Would seem that's 4 of his 5 years already used.   Does that leave him only one year of eligibility at his new school?  I thought the clock starts ticking when your HS class graduates...(I could well be wrong - trying to intrepret NCAA rules always leaves me with a pain between my ears).

Moose

« Reply #803 on: July 06, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »

Not sure that's true, Moose.  Pretty sure Nuri WAS in JC for 2 years.  I thought he got three years back because he didn't play his first year at JC.   All part of that 5 years to play 4 deal from the NCAA.

Which makes me wonder what Nuri's situation is NOW.    He's played 1 year of JC, 1 year of D-1.   But he also sat out his first year out of high school at JC, and now is sitting out a transfer year.   Would seem that's 4 of his 5 years already used.   Does that leave him only one year of eligibility at his new school?  I thought the clock starts ticking when your HS class graduates...(I could well be wrong - trying to intrepret NCAA rules always leaves me with a pain between my ears).

I worded it poorly.  Fordham is my speech writer and he can say it better.  There IS a factor about whether or not you are eligible coming out of HS or not.  That is certain.

Gumby

« Reply #804 on: July 06, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
There are a number of factors that can determine if a JC student-athlete can be a "one and done".  Sometimes such a player comes to a JC with prior course credits that they can use.  If they are a bit ambitious, they can take, besides their normal course load, some on-line five week courses to gain extra credits, as well as take summer classes.  Yes, many, if not most, JCs have summer courses.

A bit off subject, but remember the "Truth" only spent one year at San Jacinto JC.  If memory serves me right, Walter was at St. John's first, then JC for a year, and back to us for two out of three possible years.

« Reply #805 on: July 06, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »

I worded it poorly.  Fordham is my speech writer and he can say it better.  There IS a factor about whether or not you are eligible coming out of HS or not.  That is certain.

Two things.  Not 100% sure but I believe the general rule is if you have not been cleared academically out of HS/Prep School and you choose to go JUCO then you must spend 2 years at JUCO.  Since most kids go JUCO because they were not eligible out of HS it is normal for them to spend 2 years. 

Trivante Bloodman is a good example.  He was qualified when he came out of Wadleigh but had no interest from major schools.  Spent 1 year at Olney and parlayed that into some major offers before settling on Miss St.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/taking_state_scholarship_less_traveled_2qJtushCuOkzc9ll4PtGUN

As for Lindsay according to this Rivals article he spent only 1 year at Redlands:

Lindsey is in his first year at Redlands after not attending school last year, but he plans to graduate the school in just one year and have three years of NCAA eligibility left. "When I leave here I will have three years of eligibility remaining," Lindsey said. "I will be graduated by the summer of 2011, so I will have three years of eligibility."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1133030

« Reply #806 on: July 07, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
Believe rules were different during Walter Berry years. Believe rule for non-qualifiers is must graduate juco not must spend 2 yrs there so i guess theoretically with some carry over credits from prep or HS plus 2 summer sessions plus heavy course loads you could graduate in one yr and if you don't play hoop you could actually have 4 yrs of eligibility left although admittedly I have never seen this done.

Marillac

« Reply #807 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:53 AM »
If you are eligible out of of high school, you can transfer whenever and play immediatley.  If you are not eligible out of high school, you must graduate before you can be eligible to play immediately.  However, you only lose the years you play. If you redshirt or just enroll late and don't play (like Nuri) you won't lose that year.  A lot of kids choose not play as a frosh to save a year of eligibility while working on school. 

Moose

« Reply #808 on: July 09, 2012, 02:04:20 AM »
If you are eligible out of of high school, you can transfer whenever and play immediatley.  If you are not eligible out of high school, you must graduate before you can be eligible to play immediately.  However, you only lose the years you play. If you redshirt or just enroll late and don't play (like Nuri) you won't lose that year.  A lot of kids choose not play as a frosh to save a year of eligibility while working on school. 

A lot of kids?
Most kids seem to come out of JUCO with 2 yrs not 3

crgreen

« Reply #809 on: July 09, 2012, 02:11:11 AM »

Also, in this era of nearly year round AAU ball, missing out on a 4 month season of JC ball isn't quite the sacrifice to the "gods of good grades" that it once was.  Just means these kids play 100 games of orgainized ball instead of 130 in that year :).    In the old days of sitting out a year at JC meant literally not playing anything but pickup ball for a full year.....

Marillac

« Reply #810 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

A lot of kids?
Most kids seem to come out of JUCO with 2 yrs not 3

I guess it is all relative, but it is not a rarity--and it is not limited to kids bound for D-1. 

pmg911

« Reply #811 on: July 11, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
Can we please remove him from 2012 page.?

« Reply #812 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »

What's his status...waiting for official confirmation....maybe I missed it?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #813 on: July 11, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

JUCO

« Reply #814 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »

JUCO

Don't take this the wrong way but....link?

Aren't you the guy that said Obekpa's ship sailed ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:42:10 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #815 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »
There's Melvin Johnsons  scholly

Moose

« Reply #816 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »

JUCO

Yeah well I didn't say JUCO ;)  Someone else did.

He's in Florida. Also Amir tweeted asking him when he was coming to school and he said to DM him.  Press release had all our announced guys with Lavin being able to add one more.  Since Christian Jones wasn't mentioned that would be the extra.

« Reply #817 on: July 12, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

JUCO

Careful or we may lose moose for a month on the DL. :) :) :)

« Reply #818 on: July 12, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
Wood coming or what?

MCNPA

« Reply #819 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
Wood coming or what?

Magic 8-ball says don't count on it...