Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies

derk

Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »
He's got to give us ... 10 boards.

Who was the last SJU player to average 10 rebounds per game? Zendon Hamilton? Before that Berry. Anyone else? Less than ten: Harkless, Shawnelle Scott, Sealy, Glover, Lamont Hamilton, Werdan, Wennington, Shelton Jones, Minlend.

What all those players did or didn't do has no bearing on what Thomas does this year. It's all speculation but from what I read he came on very strong in the last 6 games of the season. Probably why he wasn't heavily recruited earlier. It's not like he's 6'10" and overpowered his JUCO opponents.

I'm going with late bloomer, playing starter minutes, on a rebounding deficient team, who grabs every board in sight.

Foad

« Reply #241 on: May 02, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
What all those players did or didn't do has no bearing on what Thomas does this year.

What those players did has a bearing on the reasonableness of your projection.

« Reply #242 on: May 02, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »
Thomas was at Fordham on Saturday and again yesterday

NYCoffey

« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
Cue moose "**oomed"

hnk

« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »
Yes, Baldi

MCNPA

« Reply #245 on: May 02, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
Losing Thomas to Fordham would be really damn poor job by our staff considering we are offering plenty of PT right away in the Big East.  Hopefully we still land him and Martin.  Anybody saying we will e "formidable" is totally off though.  I'm hoping for "serviceable".  We will likely be one of the most offensively unskilled front courts in he nation regardless of who we add. 

« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »
Losing Thomas to Fordham would be really damn poor job by our staff considering we are offering plenty of PT right away in the Big East.  Hopefully we still land him and Martin.  Anybody saying we will e "formidable" is totally off though.  I'm hoping for "serviceable".  We will likely be one of the most offensively unskilled front courts in he nation regardless of who we add. 
Agree but we would probably have size and some toughness up front and don't forget the preferred walk-on and whoever else we may add.

« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
Agree but we would probably have size and some toughness up front and don't forget the preferred walk-on and whoever else we may add.

Sam Sealy still on roster?

« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »

Sam Sealy still on roster?
HaHa I said toughness. Martin looks real good to me obviously based only on his highlight tape.

MCNPA

« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »

Size and toughness isn't comin unless we land both Thomas and Martin.  Right now we have zero toughness on the frontline.  We are relying on two jucos to provide that.  I don't mind that scenario, but we seem to be teetering on losing two recruits to Bradley and Fordham in the late period which I'm surprised and disappointed by. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:38:56 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »

Size and toughness isn't comin unless we land both Thomas and Martin.  Right now we have zero toughness on the frontline.  We are relying on two jucos to provide that.  I don't mind that scenario, but we seem to be teetering on losing two recruits to Bradley and Fordham in the late period which I'm surprised and disappointed by. 

I was speaking on the assumption we land both Martin and Thomas and was referencing your post where you said hopefully we land Thomas and Martin. Please pay closer attention MCN!  :)

LJSA

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2014, 02:27:33 AM »
The numbers that would be worth examining would be how many guys at a similar juco level in the past 20 or so seasons averaged 15+ rpg, and what those guys did after transferring to D1.

I think if someone has a nose for the ball, the rebound numbers will follow, and if he's got three years of eligibility as is rumored, it wouldn't shock me to see him get 10+ by his third year. Especially with all our misses. I think he grabs between 7 and 8 next season if he's here, since I think he's a lock to start.

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
The numbers that would be worth examining would be how many guys at a similar juco level in the past 20 or so seasons averaged 15+ rpg, and what those guys did after transferring to D1.

I think if someone has a nose for the ball, the rebound numbers will follow, and if he's got three years of eligibility as is rumored, it wouldn't shock me to see him get 10+ by his third year. Especially with all our misses. I think he grabs between 7 and 8 next season if he's here, since I think he's a lock to start.
Point was, at the college level, getting 10+ boards a game is rare.  It would be a pleasant surprise to say the least.  I just want players who want to get whatever is needed done down low.

It's a messed up job, but somebody's gotta do it....I hope Thomas makes it his theme song...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2NgotkfWE
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:24:23 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »
I haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere in the thread, but I'm surprised no one questioned what the felony assault charge actually was that got Thomas in trouble.

Turns out, it was for shooting a kid in the leg with a bb gun: 

"Yorktown teen faces felony assault charge in BB-gun shooting
Terence Corcoran tcorcora@lohud.com
August 14, 2009 13:33 PM

YORKTOWN - A Yorktown teenager faces a felony assault charge after he shot another person in the leg with a BB gun, police said today.

The victim reported on Wednesday that Keith Thomas, 18, of 200 Hardwood Place, allegedly shot him on Aug. 6 and that he still had the BB in his leg."

The OTHER thing that this newswire raises for me is that Thomas was mentioned as 18 yo at the time of this incident.  That currently makes him 23 years old? I guess it doesn't matter as much as a Juco recruit.  Maturity wise, it could help out.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:32:21 AM by bball purist »

paultzman

« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
I haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere in the thread, but I'm surprised no one questioned what the felony assault charge actually was that got Thomas in trouble.

YORKTOWN - A Yorktown teenager faces a felony assault charge after he shot another person in the leg with a BB gun, police said today.

The victim reported on Wednesday that Keith Thomas, 18, of 200 Hardwood Place, allegedly shot him on Aug. 6 and that he still had the BB in his leg."

The OTHER thing that this newswire raises for me is that Thomas was mentioned as 18 yo at the time of this incident.  That currently makes him 23 years old? I guess it doesn't matter as much as a Juco recruit.  Maturity wise, it could help out.

At least he can shoot".  ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:05:17 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »

At least he can shoot".  ;)
65% FG didn't come from the ground  :2funny:  Practice, practice, practice...

What's your take on his age? No problem for schools I guess
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:07:44 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »

« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
He rebounded well from the shooting

« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
It is important to understand the angle of the shot