2016 recruit you want the most?

• 56 replies
Re: 2016 recruit you want the most?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 02:05:02 AM »
Well I'm a big Mustapha Heron fan. His strength for a guard is really unmatched. When he gets downhill in the paint it's very difficult to stop him and he can finish with contact. Additionally he's really good with the ball in his hands. He can pass, pull up, or drive. Really has a pro body already and is an instant difference maker. I don't see any recruit outside of Harry Giles, Josh Jackson, and Jayson Tatum having a greater impact year 1. Dennis Smith is in the convo too he's dynamite.

My other favorites are Terrance Ferguson then Frank Jackson but neither of these guys are on radar.

I'm still under the impression Rawle Alkins wants out of the area and not sold on his recent interest being very genuine. Even if he is I think he is a solid piece but I'm not oozing over him like I would with Heron. Also not convinced Heron following Slice is a given. He's played for a lot of teams/schools over the years and it's always about what have you done for me lately. Loyalty is not exactly a strength.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Josh Jackson from Napa, California.  Lavin would be all over this number one, five star recruit.

Josh Jackson is the most talented kid I've ever seen. #1 pick in the draft, double digit nba all-star

If he was the most talented kid you've ever seen, you'd think he'd be able to win more high school games and wouldn't have been overwhelmed so much given the size and talent on the roster. 

Foad

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:40 AM »
Josh Jackson from Napa, California.  Lavin would be all over this number one, five star recruit.

Josh Jackson is the most talented kid I've ever seen. #1 pick in the draft, double digit nba all-star

If he was the most talented kid you've ever seen, you'd think he'd be able to win more high school games and wouldn't have been overwhelmed so much given the size and talent on the roster. 

I've never heard of Josh Johnson. Evidently as a freshman his team lost in the regional finals to the eventual state champion. That was the year his head coach DIED midseason. Now admittedly DYING is not as serious as having prostate cancer, for which Coach Lavin gets a complete and total pass, but sometimes death effects people such as when Cap Lavin died and how devastating that was for Steve Lavin and how difficult it was for him to be the first 50 year old orphan, it was a miracle he was able to continue at all. And then as a soph Josh on the state championship while averaging a near triple double - 28 points, 15 rebounds and 6 assists. As a junior he was named the national HS player of the year. So it doesn't sound like he was particularly overwhelmed and his teams seem to have won some games but I haven't seen any you tube clips of him so it's impossible to know for sure.

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »

There are guys who win a lot in youth sports who don't amount to too much after. Wins/Losses really have little impact on individual player's skill development. Additionally I'm not sure when or where he was overwhelmed.

I've seen Josh play 30+ times and he's unbelievable. Extremely poised, makes the right play, and makes everyone around him better.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 11:09:16 PM »

There are guys who win a lot in youth sports who don't amount to too much after. Wins/Losses really have little impact on individual player's skill development. Additionally I'm not sure when or where he was overwhelmed.

I've seen Josh play 30+ times and he's unbelievable. Extremely poised, makes the right play, and makes everyone around him better.

His team was 8-5 according to max preps (3 wins against one team) and they lost to Malik Ellison's Life Center team (not sure if Ellison played).

He's a good player and he'll be a lottery pick, but that is a huge claim and I just don't think he measures up anywhere next to guys like Anthony Davis, Wall, Rose, Durant, etc. he seems more like a slightly less talented Michael Beasley to me.

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »

His team was 8-5 according to max preps (3 wins against one team) and they lost to Malik Ellison's Life Center team (not sure if Ellison played).

He's a good player and he'll be a lottery pick, but that is a huge claim and I just don't think he measures up anywhere next to guys like Anthony Davis, Wall, Rose, Durant, etc. he seems more like a slightly less talented Michael Beasley to me.

Again I really don't value a team's record for evaluating their individual talent/potential. I'm really not sure where you get Michael Beasley from because they don't even play same position or have even remotely similar games.

Also FYI the team went 23-8 and lost 4 games in a row after Josh's father tragically died of a heart attack.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 12:09:19 AM »

I've never heard of Josh Johnson. Evidently as a freshman his team lost in the regional finals to the eventual state champion. That was the year his head coach DIED midseason. Now admittedly DYING is not as serious as having prostate cancer, for which Coach Lavin gets a complete and total pass, but sometimes death effects people such as when Cap Lavin died and how devastating that was for Steve Lavin and how difficult it was for him to be the first 50 year old orphan, it was a miracle he was able to continue at all. And then as a soph Josh on the state championship while averaging a near triple double - 28 points, 15 rebounds and 6 assists. As a junior he was named the national HS player of the year. So it doesn't sound like he was particularly overwhelmed and his teams seem to have won some games but I haven't seen any you tube clips of him so it's impossible to know for sure.

The kid is good...really good.  His physical talent alone warrants a lottery pick.  Dave's claim that he is the most talented kid he's EVER seen is far off IMO.  As for his prep record, I was surprised by the lack of success of his team, the newest basketball factory.  They have a half-dozen kids over 6'8 and the #1 player in the country and only went 8-5 according to Max Preps (I"m sure there were more games) and lost by 30 to West Oaks, a normal high school team that had a pair of 25 point losses itself.  You'd be hard pressed to find a kid ranked as high has him whose team didn't dominate.  No way Melo, Lebron, or Durant go 8-5 on that team and that is the kind of talent Dave was comparing him to. 

With that written, I think Prolific Prep will be much better next season, but he has a hole in his skill set that doesn't allow him to consistently dominate opponents like the other super talents we've seen.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:09:57 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 01:28:10 AM »

The kid is good...really good.  His physical talent alone warrants a lottery pick.  Dave's claim that he is the most talented kid he's EVER seen is far off IMO.  As for his prep record, I was surprised by the lack of success of his team, the newest basketball factory.  They have a half-dozen kids over 6'8 and the #1 player in the country and only went 8-5 according to Max Preps (I"m sure there were more games) and lost by 30 to West Oaks, a normal high school team that had a pair of 25 point losses itself.  You'd be hard pressed to find a kid ranked as high has him whose team didn't dominate.  No way Melo, Lebron, or Durant go 8-5 on that team and that is the kind of talent Dave was comparing him to. 

With that written, I think Prolific Prep will be much better next season, but he has a hole in his skill set that doesn't allow him to consistently dominate opponents like the other super talents we've seen.

I guess I need to watch more youtube and read more max preps.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
Dave's claim that he is the most talented kid he's EVER seen is far off IMO. 

I'd think you'd be used to hyperbole after four years of Marco Bourgault is the best shooter I've ever coached and Christian Jones has the best post moves I've ever seen in a freshman and Rysheed Jordan is the best passer since Jason Kidd.

MCNPA

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
He reminds me far more of Trevor Ariza after watching a little bit, but I have t seen him to the extent Dave has.  Doesn't remind me of Beasley who is more PF type.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »

Any little bit will help your awful player analysis.  Russ Smith still not a Big East talent?  Working for under armour and being at events doesn't qualify you as any more of an expert than any poster on St. John's forums.  There are some equipment managers that see more basketball than any of us. 

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »

Any little bit will help your awful player analysis.  Russ Smith still not a Big East talent?  Working for under armour and being at events doesn't qualify you as any more of an expert than any poster on St. John's forums.  There are some equipment managers that see more basketball than any of us. 

If you don't think my analysis is good that's cool. It's simply just your opinion.

As for Russ Smith? I guess me and everyone else was skeptical of the 160lb guard competing in Big East. He was always a good scorer and thought he'd be better suited for lower level. I don't think I was off in saying that and I've always been proud of him and his Dad for believing he could do more. I don't recall you chiming in at the time saying he'd be a POY candidate. http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=998.0

For my personal qualifications I've been blessed to be entrenched in the game of basketball as a profession for almost 10 years. I spend almost every weekend in a basketball gym in various parts of the country and watch/discuss with other like minded coaches and scouts. I think we have a lot of educated fans on JJ but it's impossible for you or anyone else to have as an informed opinion without having such access to the game/players. Doesn't mean your opinions are wrong but you simply don't have as much info to base it on.

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

If you don't think my analysis is good that's cool. It's simply just your opinion.

As for Russ Smith? I guess me and everyone else was skeptical of the 160lb guard competing in Big East. He was always a good scorer and thought he'd be better suited for lower level. I don't think I was off in saying that and I've always been proud of him and his Dad for believing he could do more. I don't recall you chiming in at the time saying he'd be a POY candidate. http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=998.0

For my personal qualifications I've been blessed to be entrenched in the game of basketball as a profession for almost 10 years. I spend almost every weekend in a basketball gym in various parts of the country and watch/discuss with other like minded coaches and scouts. I think we have a lot of educated fans on JJ but it's impossible for you or anyone else to have as an informed opinion without having such access to the game/players. Doesn't mean your opinions are wrong but you simply don't have as much info to base it on.
I have to say that watching a player in person numerous times usually gives much more insight than any video can.  I wish I could see more HS games because the ones I watch are a lot of fun.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »

I was just messing around as usual, Dave.  It gets lost on the internet...it's probably been too long to do so since we drank at the gathering so you might have forgotten that I'm almost never serious.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »

I have to say that watching a player in person numerous times usually gives much more insight than any video can.  I wish I could see more HS games because the ones I watch are a lot of fun.

I prefer video to be perfectly honest.  I have bad eye sight to begin with, but I hate not being able to rewind, pause, and slow-mo.  Full games are the best and I'm thankful that there is so much available the last few years.  I get to watch my old high school's football games a thousand miles away.  I used to love the ABCD camps when it was held at FDU, but I hated not being able to get a closer look.  I don't care if the ball goes in...rather see how a kid gets into his shot, gets the feet, and form, etc. 

Back to the point of the thread...Heron #1, but for those that haven't see Ponds play, I recommend watching some of his full games available online.  Big fan. 

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »

I was just messing around as usual, Dave.  It gets lost on the internet...it's probably been too long to do so since we drank at the gathering so you might have forgotten that I'm almost never serious.

No doubt.

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2015, 09:53:56 PM »

Forget your new nicknames with Moose, or Amarillac...I got dibs on Mariwhack....