16-17 Non Conference Schedule

• 31 replies
Re: 16-17 Non Conference Schedule
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:18 PM »
It annoys me when we don't play a good out of conference opponent at home.

This schedule would be fine, but for the fact that we don't have a marquee non-conference opponent.   All I ask for is one game with a good team we don't normally see.

I understand this is a confidence building year, Atlantis will be tough, and we go to the Carrier Dome.. blah blah blah.  That's all well and good.
But I'm of the opinion that season ticket holders, and just fans in general, would like to see an interesting matchup with somebody like Ohio State, Duke, Indiana, UCLA etc to name a few we've played at home in seasons past.

What? Longwoods not doing it for Ya?

Cupcakes are fine.  But people pay good money for season tickets.  We have one non-conference home game against a major conference opponent... Penn State.
No one we play at home has made the tournament in years.  Binghamton is probably the most recent.

I just don't see why we can't play a December game against Louisville or Michigan.  Anybody.   Most teams would love a visit to NYC before conference play starts. 

A lot of college basketball fans consider Penn State to be a cup cake. But I guess that would make us a cup cake, too. Non conference IMO, it's fine to make it easy, but the key will be what kind of team they'll be in January. These cup cakes won't bother us if they are used to help the team come together.

Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St, Louisville, Indiana, UConn. 1 of these teams needs to be scheduled at MSG every year. Absurd

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 01:22:37 AM »
It annoys me when we don't play a good out of conference opponent at home.

This schedule would be fine, but for the fact that we don't have a marquee non-conference opponent.   All I ask for is one game with a good team we don't normally see.

I understand this is a confidence building year, Atlantis will be tough, and we go to the Carrier Dome.. blah blah blah.  That's all well and good.
But I'm of the opinion that season ticket holders, and just fans in general, would like to see an interesting matchup with somebody like Ohio State, Duke, Indiana, UCLA etc to name a few we've played at home in seasons past.

What? Longwoods not doing it for Ya?

Cupcakes are fine.  But people pay good money for season tickets.  We have one non-conference home game against a major conference opponent... Penn State.
No one we play at home has made the tournament in years.  Binghamton is probably the most recent.

I just don't see why we can't play a December game against Louisville or Michigan.  Anybody.   Most teams would love a visit to NYC before conference play starts. 

A lot of college basketball fans consider Penn State to be a cup cake. But I guess that would make us a cup cake, too. Non conference IMO, it's fine to make it easy, but the key will be what kind of team they'll be in January. These cup cakes won't bother us if they are used to help the team come together.

Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St, Louisville, Indiana, UConn. 1 of these teams needs to be scheduled at MSG every year. Absurd

I agree with that. The University needs to hire an AD. A real one. What's Ed Manetta up to?

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
Manetta was last at Barclays Center heading up their sports programming.  Assuming he's still there, but don't know.... Even if SJU was interested in him again, I doubt he'd have much of a desire to get back into the NCAA crap at this stage.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:35:26 AM by RedStormNC »

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 07:37:30 AM »
Manetta was last at Barclays Center heading up their sports programming.  Assuming he's still there, but don't know.... Even if SJU was interested in him again, I doubt he'd have much of a desire to get back into the NCAA crap at this stage.

Or perhaps he would have interest.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »

Maybe not, but we had big time games at MSG when he was here. I've always liked the man.

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »

Or perhaps he would have interest.
Perhaps he would if St John's ever let their AD be a real AD. Think the last one was Jack Kaiser (with Louie input on hoop matters of course).

QuanMan

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
Scheduling is not a easy task, the AD may be involved, but it's primarily up to the HC and his connections to schedule games, something that Mullin is just getting used to. It just so happens that we play @Minnesota this year, but I expect a marquee Big10 school (Indiana/Michigan/OhioSt.) in the Garden next Winter.
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
I don't know the specifics but I can't imagine it is hard to find a team wanting to come play is a at the garden every year. Ohio state, Michigan, UConn, ND, Syracuse, Duke and others all have plenty of alumni in NYC. Our fans want it and so would the visitors. It would also make plenty of money.

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

Ed still at Barclays. Was interested prior to getting job at Barclays...not sure if still interested.

QuanMan

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »
If anyone is close to the Athletic Department, there are conflicting dates for the @Tulane game. Tulane lists Saturday 12/3 while our schedule shows Friday 12/2. I plan on booking this trip as my annual road game in the coming weeks, any clarity would be greatly appreciated, thanks board.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
If anyone is close to the Athletic Department, there are conflicting dates for the @Tulane game. Tulane lists Saturday 12/3 while our schedule shows Friday 12/2. I plan on booking this trip as my annual road game in the coming weeks, any clarity would be greatly appreciated, thanks board.

I believe someone on Redmen stated that Tulane had the wrong date and have changed their website. I would still confirm it though.

QuanMan

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks it was revised on Tulane's end, Friday 12/2@7.
Section 3
Section 116